Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did any of the Dwarves of Erebor attempt to retreat to the Iron Hills?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 11:01am

Post #1 of 4 (790 views)
Shortcut
Did any of the Dwarves of Erebor attempt to retreat to the Iron Hills? Can't Post

I imagine that many Dwarves did try for the Iron Hills when Smaug attacked Lonely Mountain. However, with at least one hundred miles of empty plain between the two locations, I doubt that many (if any) survived the dragon's depredations.

King Thror and his son Thrain doubtless understood this danger and so led as many of their people as they could gather West on the Old Forest Road through Mirkwood. Would they have sought succor from Thranduil and the Wood-elves first? And only after having been rejected, fled over the Misty Mountains to the Blue Mountain Dwarves?

Opinions?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 4 (451 views)
Shortcut
Some of them must have done [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise they wouldn't have been there. I suppose tat once he had scattered the Dwarves, Smaug woul have had to have rested for a bit. So the Dwarves would have fled in all directions. And the Iron Hills was one place to go. Plus the journey Westwoods wou have been perilous. I find it a surprise that none of the Dwarves were aware of Thranduil on the return in Mirkwood. Some of that company must have been really lost.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 3:46am

Post #3 of 4 (595 views)
Shortcut
Iron Hills colony established long before coming of Smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some of them must have done Otherwise they wouldn't have been there. I suppose tat once he had scattered the Dwarves, Smaug woul have had to have rested for a bit. So the Dwarves would have fled in all directions. And the Iron Hills was one place to go. Plus the journey Westwoods wou have been perilous. I find it a surprise that none of the Dwarves were aware of Thranduil on the return in Mirkwood. Some of that company must have been really lost.

The Dwarves settled in the Iron Hills around TA 2590 following the abandonment of the Ered Mithrin (Grey Mountains).

I'm sure that Thorin and the other Dwarves of Durin's Folk were well aware of the existance of the Wood-elves, they just didn't have a close relationship with them. The Dwarves' traditional route through Mirkwood was the Old Forest Road which essentially continued from the Grreat East Road. What Thorin and Co. was not aware of was that the old road had fallen into disrepair in the years since the coming of Smaug.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Felagund
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 7:29pm

Post #4 of 4 (443 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's mithril coat [In reply to] Can't Post

Reckon you're right that the Dwarves of Erebor knew about Thranduil's kingdom. Bilbo's mithril coat was said to have originally been made for a young elf-prince, for example. Even if this was for export further afield (to Lothlórien, say), the idea that the Erebor Dwarves didn't know about the Elves living right next door to them doesn't seem likely.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.