Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Cheesy moments on LOTR
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Misto
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 3:35pm

Post #26 of 57 (900 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me started on Denethor! [In reply to] Can't Post

How could I forget this? Topped by the moment when Gandalf smacks Denethor with his staff. I mean... really?Shocked
I really love book-verse Denethor and I think John Noble does a really decent job in the few moments where they actually let him act but movie-Denethor is just not for me. Having seen the movies first, coming upon Tolkien's original idea of Denethor in the books was quite a revelation.

Nuradar
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 6:39pm

Post #27 of 57 (908 views)
Shortcut
the second time [In reply to] Can't Post

was actually an accident. He says so in the special features.

Nuradar
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 6:48pm

Post #28 of 57 (900 views)
Shortcut
these parts make me cringe [In reply to] Can't Post

- Eowyn's song at Theodred's funeral (man, that was painful. I fast forward through it every time I watch).
- the "nervous system" line in TTT. So out of place.
- the slow-motion during the scene where they encounter Celeborn and Galadriel in Lothlorien.
- when Sam fights the Orcs on the stairs of Barad-dur before rescuing Frodo. The Orcs are too easily killed.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 8:58pm

Post #29 of 57 (903 views)
Shortcut
yeah Saruman. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn7ym3qqTy4

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 11:59pm

Post #30 of 57 (957 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If just for the logistics of a person running that distance.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 4:23am

Post #31 of 57 (916 views)
Shortcut
The biggest thing about the flaming leap... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that I never notice it! Not a single time, unless I'm looking for it! It's such a rapid shot and you can't get a real grasp of what it is. I found the actual preperation to burn, though overly dramatic, not exactly cheesy.

I'm putting up my defense for the Saruman death scene. That may be heavy handed, but it's not like Saruman's very purpose in thematic representation wasn't heavy handed. The scene is very hard hitting, from the impact, to the reaction, to the very purpose it serves in the plot. It's a visual flair, just like Minas Morgul erupting. Was that cheesy? "Cheesy moments" are usually just tossed aside but this was through and through with its dramatic impact. Even the absurd can be made plausible (case and point, Gandalf).

I do confess though, I hate it when you see the Uruks chasing the Fellowship across the Anduin. It's not that it wasn't necessary, but the fact that you have that pounding music (though awesome music) and sweeping shot intercutting their running... Which uses that stupid frame cutting technique (and, of course, PJ didn't learn his lesson for King Kong!) that really kills the actual presence that the Uruks have on screen.

Mainly I'll defend most of the gratuitous imagery or otherwise mainly because it serves a story purpose, though when it derides from that story purpose, then you start to have decisions which are genuinely "cheesy". The orc on pike at Fangorn is not cheesy. The menace of Gothmog is not cheesy. And above all, I find there are some movies which make me cover my eyes when I see articular scenes, but everything in LotR is engaging and not so filmy as to take me out of it. The immersion building in these films is so spectacular.

And people trashing Eowyn's song? Are you serious? That's one of the most unique pieces in the trilogy, and it's sung fine! Man... Some people.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 12:40pm

Post #32 of 57 (880 views)
Shortcut
GoodGuyA ok I have just rewatched the [In reply to] Can't Post

EE version of Eowyns lament for Theodred in the spirit of being fair to your comment, and I was quite shocked at how different it sounded. I had only ever seen a very truncated short version before, indeed I had never seen that scene in full before.I had probably only seen the theatrical version I think, but whatever version it was it hadnt shown the full scene, It was completely different, and on this viewing I really liked it a lot. It didnt sound cheesy or cringy at all, it sounded arcane and right for the moment, so it just goes to show which version you see makes all the difference and puts things into context. I have now completely changed my idea on this, and I am only sorry I put Eowyns Lament on my list of cheesy moments.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 13 2012, 12:42pm)

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 3:29pm

Post #33 of 57 (847 views)
Shortcut
Just goes to show the graciousness of Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink You didn't have to do that, but I'm glad I could make the viewing more enjoyable for you! I just find it to be a lovely piece, and impeccably sung in Old English! Another moment where heart triumphs in the film. Though I will certainly concede that the song in the Houses of Healing is a bit cheesy. Not that it's a bad song (and Liv, you're gorgeous!) but it's in rather non-poetic English. We only get English songs at the end of the films, and they're strongly orchestral.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 4:17pm

Post #34 of 57 (846 views)
Shortcut
we've had some past discussions about Eowyn's songs [In reply to] Can't Post

that were interesting. I'll go in a moment and see if I can track down any.

I feel the same way about Liv's song in the Houses of Healing. And for pretty much the same reason. It's worse, imo, that a really beautiful song was bumped to make way for it: Sissel's Asëa Aranion.
http://www.youtube.com/...youtu.be&t=2m52s

okay...

here's one of the discussions of the scene at Theodred's grave.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=78835#78835

I thought there were more but I can't find them.

I did some work on the lyrics and translation of this song before there was much official information and I enjoyed dabbling in the Old English. I am fascinated by etymology and enjoyed finding the word gléomenn which is the ancestor of 'gleemen' and glee clubs (a term that was common when I was a child) and now Glee. I love Funeral of Théodred (aka as Lament for Théodred) and only wish I could have a full length version of it. The melody was written by Plan 9.

(and one slight correction to this: 'we only get English songs at the end of the film'. There are, of course, the diegetic songs sung by the Hobbits. I don't count those and I suspect you wouldn't either. But the other score song that is in English is also sung by Liv/Arwen - the one heard as she kneels by Frodo at the banks of the Anduin. I argued with someone who identified those lyrics as English - back when we didn't have much on lyrics - saying, 'there's no way those would be in English.' Well, he was right and I was wrong. I kind of sucked it up then and grumbled under my breath but I really didn't like having the one at the Houses of Healing included.)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 5:48pm

Post #35 of 57 (802 views)
Shortcut
thanks, [In reply to] Can't Post

you know that scene that I had never seen before is making me wonder if I have missed a version of the EE? I mean I just dont remember seeing the full version of Theodreds burial at all. Obviously I saw the theatrical version, and I thought I had seen the EE, but is there another version? maybe on the dvd? there is another scene I dont remember either, its the one where you see Aragorn and co looking over to Caras Galadhon in the distance, I dont remember seeing that anywhere. crikey.
Anyway you are right, its very good, I like the bit where Eowyn seems to be wringing her hands in grief, I am glad I made the effort to watch it.
Wink

actually the song by Liv is my favourite in the whole film because its so romantic, I know there are more authentic songs, but it just makes me sigh and go all dreamy, I love the visuals too.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 13 2012, 5:55pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 6:00pm

Post #36 of 57 (826 views)
Shortcut
Magpie thanks for posting that discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

about Theodreds burial, its very interesting. I also noticed the woman singing behind Eowyn, it was a lovely touch, very moving.
Its a shame missed the screencap discussion, I would have liked to discuss it more.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 13 2012, 6:02pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 6:37pm

Post #37 of 57 (753 views)
Shortcut
you can find transcripts of the movies online [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually just google something like: Fellowship Ring transcript

Some sites have just the TE or the EE and some have both but not for all three movies. I just jump to whatever comes up highest on the Google search. Council of Elrond is one of the sites.

They can be useful for tracking down whether a scene is in the TE or just in the EE (and there are a few scenes which are fairly different in each version) or for figuring out where a scene takes place (shots of Isildur can be seen in the prologue, while Gandalf is at the libraries, and when Elrond reminisces).

You could browse the transcripts and find those scenes you're wondering about and then check where they are and in which version.

There is only the TE and the EE of each movie. There is not a third version.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 6:40pm

Post #38 of 57 (836 views)
Shortcut
Well, you're discussing it now :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The SCODs kind of plod their way through all three movies but you're always welcome to start a spontaneous discussion on any topic you chose.

The thing I miss about some of those old discussions are the posters who aren't around much anymore. There were some really insightful people who always made me look at things in a new way. They drop in now and again, but not with any regularity.

But new blood can bring new ideas if we get the critical mass to get ideas exchanging. :-)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 9:08pm

Post #39 of 57 (773 views)
Shortcut
ok thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad there isnt some mysterious 3rd version I hadnt seen. I will just have to invest in the EE version, and pay more attention.
Wink

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 1:48am

Post #40 of 57 (722 views)
Shortcut
My feelings exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully, the scenes I find moving and beautiful far outweigh the cheese for me.

Sometimes, Peter Jackson's style reminds me of James Cameron. With both these directors, when they get it right, they make magic. But when they get it wrong, I have to cover my eyes.

And yes, I find the slo-mo laughing scene painful to watch. Tongue

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 2:09am

Post #41 of 57 (817 views)
Shortcut
The more often I've watched, the more cheese I've found [In reply to] Can't Post

For the most part, I love these films, but, as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. Well, maybe not contempt, but some cringing and eye-rolling. It's not so much whole scenes that bother me - though there are a few - it's little details or matters of style. Most people have already noted many of the eye-rollers for me, but I have to say I can't stand any of the scenes with orcs besides the Moria orcs and the Uruk Hai at the end of the Fellowship. The orcs in those scenes work for me, all the other orc scenes ooze cheese. Much sillier than sinister. And when the orcs are squabbling over the hobbits in TTT and you see what looks like a string of sausage links thrown into the air - but I suspect it was supposed to looks like intestines - either way, pure cringe-worthy cheese. Crazy

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 4:03am

Post #42 of 57 (806 views)
Shortcut
One of the few times I will agree with you (openly) [In reply to] Can't Post

I do confess though, I hate it when you see the Uruks chasing the Fellowship across the Anduin. It's not that it wasn't necessary, but the fact that you have that pounding music (though awesome music) and sweeping shot intercutting their running... Which uses that stupid frame cutting technique (and, of course, PJ didn't learn his lesson for King Kong!) that really kills the actual presence that the Uruks have on screen.

That is, for me, one of the most poorly done sequences in all three films. Some more:

1. Merry and Pippin bumping into Frodo and Sam in the cornfield. The odds!
2. "I think I've broken something" - Merry
3. Weathertop. The whole thing. But especially Aragorn's flaming torch throw into the Nazgul's face.
4. "What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?" Velveeta.
5. Slo-motion meeting of Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry in Rivendell
6. Gimli's hack at the Ring
7. "You shall be the fellowship of the ring!" with everyone in their perfect wedding photo poses
8. The first hero fellowship shot with everyone coming over the ridge in slow-motion. No more slo-motion please...
9. Frodo's slo-motion fake death in the Chamber of Mazarbul
9b. Sam fighting orcs with his pan..."I think I'm getting the hang of this!" Beyond stupid.
10. The fellowship is surrounded by thousands of goblins, meaning certain death, and are then bailed out by the Balrog. Was this necessary?
11. Celeborn's slo-motion dialogue
12. Most of the Saruman-Uruk Hai scenes. Pure camp.
13. Aragorn's fake death/warg scene
14. The stew scene
15. Theoden's OTT makeup
16. Wormtongue's OTT evilness
17. The entire Treebeard sequence
18. Everything Gimli says and does from TTT onwards
19. Theoden's "Is that all you've got, Saruman?" Like something out of a bad football movie.
20. Most of Helm's Deep.
21. Sam's dumb, corny speech at the end of TTT
22. The drinking game
23. Skull-valanche
24. The attack on the pirates
25. Green scrubbing bubbles on the Pelennor
26. Legolas' mumakil downer
27. Every single thing about Denethor
27. The dumb conversation that represents "The Last Debate"
28. Gollum's "crumbs" trick
29. Frodo sending Sam away
30. The mind-numbing "waking up in Minas Tirith" Hallmark horrible-fest
31. The mind-numbing Grey Havens hug fest

Well, you get the picture.

As a wise man once said, PJ paints a Mona Lisa, then scribbles smiley faces, and pours hot velveeta, all over it.

-SA
P.S. I do have to strongly disagree about Theodred's funeral scene. Eowyn's song seems awkward primarily because she does not sing in a mode that is comfortable for modern audiences. And though it may cause discomfort, it is not quite "cheesy." I found it very effective.

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2012, 9:36pm

Post #43 of 57 (762 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

"- Eowyn's song at Theodred's funeral (man, that was painful. I fast forward through it every time I watch)."

I was just wondering last time I watched TTT...how does the actress ever watch that part? Painful, very painful.

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2012, 9:36pm

Post #44 of 57 (759 views)
Shortcut
Frodo sits up in bed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Ga-a-andaalf?

Also, all of Gimli's jokes.

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2012, 9:40pm

Post #45 of 57 (777 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on both counts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, to be fair, Frodo/Sam's friendship in the book might seem cheesy in this day and age Sly

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 3:18am

Post #46 of 57 (734 views)
Shortcut
Disagreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The rhythm of the song is simply not one that is very familiar to a modern audience, so it seems awkward. However, I would be curious to hear what you find particularly objectionable about the scene.

Also, though I can understand not liking the song, the scenery and cinematography during that sequence are, IMO, some of the best in all three films. It just feels like Tolkien.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 5:18am

Post #47 of 57 (732 views)
Shortcut
Agreed , no dairy products in sight here [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this scene is quite appropriate to the situation and is consistent with the culture that had been established for the Rohirrim. The funereal song, and Eowyn's emotion, seemed authentic. I thought it was beautifully done.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 5:26am

Post #48 of 57 (819 views)
Shortcut
One small correction [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind the Uruk Hai at Helm's Deep. There are a couple of moments that are silly, but overall, I thought The Battle at Helm's Deep and the Uruks part in it were effective. It's when they are squabbling with the Mordor orcs and complaining about "maggo'y bread" that they lose their aura of menace and seem campy.

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 15 2012, 3:08pm

Post #49 of 57 (765 views)
Shortcut
Really sorry to sound so shallow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just didn't enjoy listening to Eowyn's singing voice...so not really cheesy I guess, just painful.

(This post was edited by aruman on Oct 15 2012, 3:09pm)

aruman
Rivendell

Oct 15 2012, 3:11pm

Post #50 of 57 (762 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on both counts, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we see some of the inherent challenges in bringing LOTR to the silver screen. The stew scene was lame, cheesy, and most Un-Tolkien-esque IMHO, but I also feel like you pretty much need some stuff like that in the movie, to help capture modern audiences.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.