Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Expanding on something I posted a few months back…which character would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
Poll: Expanding on something I posted a few months back…which character would tell the most interesting fireside stories?
1. Treebeard
2. Galadriel
3. Morgoth (then again if I found him sitting next to my fireside I think I’d be too preoccupied with cowering in fear to listen to anything he had to say…)
4. Gandalf
5. Ingwe
6. Melian
7. Elrond
8. Annatar
9. Tom, William and Bert
10. Thorin
11. Arwen
12. Glorfindel
13. Bilbo
14. Eru Illuvatar
15. Elwe
16. Gimli
17. Farmer Maggot
18. Samwise
19. Aragorn
20. Smaug
21. Luthien
22. Radgast
23. Beleg Strongbow
24. Beren
25. Sauron (I’ve cited this separately to Annatar to distinguish between his outward ‘good’ and evil appearance)
26. Grima Wormtongue
27. Cirdan
28. Turin (It would certainly be a grim story but no less gripping)
29. Osse
30. Gollum
31. Smeagol
32. Tom Bombadil
33. Tar-Elendil ('The Mariner's Wife'...always wondered what the gates of morning looked like...
34. Durin the deathless
35. The Blue Wizards
36. The Talking Purse (You’re not alone DanielLB in being a fan, I’ve always felt a little sorry for it, left by itself…)
37. Frodo
38. Imin
39. Maglor (What happened to him?)
40. Ghan-buri-Ghan
41. Saruman
42. Roac
43. The Mouth of Sauron
Fireside stories scare me!
41. Other (please specify if so inclined)
View Results (237 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 12:31pm

Post #1 of 22 (533 views)
Shortcut
Expanding on something I posted a few months back…which character would tell the most interesting fireside stories? Can't Post

If you pulled up a fireside chair on a cold winter night which of the above would tell the most entertaining or informative stories? How long would you stay interested and why? Would you trust them to make the tea?

I had posted a poll along similar lines a few months back, but I couldn’t resist adding more options…

Though not all were ‘storytellers’ as such in the book, I believe all listed above would have interesting stories to share in their own unique way…even the talking purse (Although his/her knowledge of the common speech seems to be somewhat limited it would be interesting to get a sentient purse’s angle on Middle Earth…) though of course some would be more gripping or good at hooking an audience than others-Farmer Maggot despite his reputation of knowing a great many things didn’t seem to have the most friendly of reputations for instance…

My choices:

Obviously Bilbo as the primary author of the Hobbit and a contributor to The Lord of The Rings would be in there-he certainly has the temperament and popularity amongst younger hobbits to tell an entertaining tale, he’s clever, funny and not afraid to speak his mind, in all respects a very hobbity hobbit with plenty of connexions and knowledge of the elder days to draw from. As a hobbit would make nice tea as well so that's a bonus...

Tom Bombadil-its Tom Bombadil ‘nuff said.

Gandalf: Two thousand years-worth of traversing middle earth would lead to interesting stories, and the friendship of the Hobbits would certainly rub off in a positive manner, wise and open to discussion, with experience of life in Valinor, the only drawback would be his somewhat guarded personality (i.e. not revealing about the ‘nameless things’ in the tunnels of moria), and occasionally forgetful nature.

Cirdan (anyone who has read my blog will know why)- The last known survivor of the great Journey in Middle Earth, a member of the White Council, ringbearer, and leader in the siege of Angmar and battle of the last Alliance, he certainly has an impressive CV. If you add in his numerous connexions (the istari, valar etc) mysterious beard, lifespan (witnessing pretty much all of Middle Earth’s ‘main’ history) and foresight he certainly has enough stories to draw from, though admittedly with his quiet temperament and somewhat sparse appearances in the main areas of Middle Earth he might not have the gravitas to grip an audience.

Who would you choose?

(This post was edited by malickfan on Oct 9 2012, 12:32pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 22 (262 views)
Shortcut
You know what would make the best fireside story? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was told by all of them! You'd have stories from all different Ages, all different places and all different people. I'd have to pick them all! Though, they'd just end up re-counting The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Wink Tom Bombadil could fill in any details from HOME. Tongue

Though, of course, the talking purse would have centre stage. It can't have been nice being so close to a Troll's bottom for much of his life ...

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:59pm

Post #3 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
I'd say Gandalf, purely because... [In reply to] Can't Post

he had been the mover and shaker of most things that happened in Middle-earth once things got interesting. And, being one of the maia he probably had heard all the stories about everything that happened during The Silmarillion timeline. He probably knows it all, should he wish to tell it.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 1:00pm

Post #4 of 22 (240 views)
Shortcut
I always wondered why the purse didn't call out to frodo and Aragorn when they stuMbled across trollshaws... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Be a great oppurtunity for fan fiction (like the cat in Aliens).

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 22 (241 views)
Shortcut
Alas, I fear he was turned to stone :-( / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:15pm

Post #6 of 22 (247 views)
Shortcut
The purse was turned to stone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really need to re-read The Hobbit. Wink

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 22 (206 views)
Shortcut
My first reaction was Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

because of all his travels. I think he's been places even Gandalf hasn't gone. But I went with Tom in the end, because he's seen it all. And he sings his stories, which would please me.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 4:52pm

Post #8 of 22 (224 views)
Shortcut
Sings his stories... [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminds me. I was all set to buy Mr. Patty a tee-shirt that says "I survived Der Ring des Nibelungen" but he couldn't get more than 25 minutes into Das Rhinegold. Funny enough, every time I ask if he wants to pick it back up, he has something to do. I offer to tell him how Das Rhinegold ends and so he can move right into Die Valkyrie and he just looks nonplussed. It really is a good story, I always tell him, if you can get past the singing.Cool

RoseCotton
Lorien

Oct 10 2012, 7:47am

Post #9 of 22 (216 views)
Shortcut
It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you want someone who you think will tell a tale well (even if you may have heard the tale before), or do you hope to hear a tale that's never been told before?

If the former, I'd choose Bombadil or Gandalf. In both cases, when they're in full flow in FOTR ('In the House of Tom Bombadil' and 'The Shadow of the Past' respectively), I would love to be there in the room with them.

If the latter, I'd choose Radagast or the Blue Wizards. I think Radagast would be preferable as I think he'd be able to tell new tales, but that, in some cases, have some relevance (and may give different facets and perspectives) on the stories I already know.

I'll tick all four! to be on the safe side! Smile

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:47pm

Post #10 of 22 (177 views)
Shortcut
If Radagast has indeed "gone native" as someone put it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that his animal tales would be of as much interest to me. The Blue Wizards now, I'll bet they have very interesting tales to tell.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 4:14am

Post #11 of 22 (173 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I want one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was kind of a survival thing, staying up so late four nights in a row. I got the 1989 version for my birthday and am halfway through watching it while I grade papers in my office. It seems a lot shorter this time :-)

Uncle Baggins didn't watch Das Rhinegold, but he got sucked into the rest of it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 4:20am

Post #12 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
I picked Bilbo first of all. [In reply to] Can't Post

He just seemed like he'd be the best storyteller. Also Bombadil, Samwise, Aragorn, Gandalf, Luthien and the Talking Purse.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 11:53am

Post #13 of 22 (167 views)
Shortcut
This is the one I have... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Nibelungen-Complete-Levine-Metropolitan/dp/B00006L9ZT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350041743&sr=8-1&keywords=james+levine+der+ring+des+niebelungen

Since I also watched it for the 4 nights elf_wannabee alerted us to, it really was a survival thing, but I enjoyed it (although not as much as the dvd I have, which I had watched also when it aired on PBS.

Did you give Uncle Baggins a synopsis of Das Rheingold, or had he seen it before, or at least know the story? I figured I could give Mr. Patty a good foundation in it and he could enjoy the rest, but he is kind of an impatient- natured individual, and all the long bits where there is no action really wear on him. I kind of knew from how long it took at the beginning before the Rhinemaidens appeared that he wasn't going to be able to stick it. And when I was explaining to him that sometimes long musical interludes were necessary to change scenes (for example, when Loge and Wotan are taking the scene from where the Nibelungen dwelt back up to where the gods dwelt--bringing the gold ransom for Freia) his eyes almost glazed over. One of his problems is that his hip is hurting him, and sitting a long time exacerbates that. But in truth, he probably won't finish it under any circumstance. He's not big on fantasy (doesn't care for LotR, but tolerates my enjoyment of it) so I'm really not surprised.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 5:39pm

Post #14 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's the same one I got. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to get the new one too, maybe when I've saved up some money.

Uncle Baggins was surfing the 'net while he was watching, but gradually got more and more interested and started asking questions, so I just answered what he asked, and it seemed to satisfy him. He's a night owl, so he wasn't getting sleepy. I also showed him the Anna Russell sketch, and she does a pretty good job of explaining.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 22 (193 views)
Shortcut
The new one was okay [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't feel like I have to have it too.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 8:12pm

Post #16 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
I particular I'd like to have [In reply to] Can't Post

the middle two operas, with Sigmund and Siegfried. They were both great. Especially Sigmund. I had no idea opera could be so very sexy. And the set grew on me. It was pretty spectacular in the third opera. Though I did prefer the more realistic sets of the version I have.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 12 2012, 8:14pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 8:50pm

Post #17 of 22 (192 views)
Shortcut
One thing that made the older once especially cool [In reply to] Can't Post

was that during the forging scene, Siegfried was actually hammering hot iron. It wasn't a special effect. I didn't notice it, but when I showed that scene to my son, who has done some blacksmithing, he noticed it right away.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 12:01am

Post #18 of 22 (155 views)
Shortcut
Wow. I didn't know that. [In reply to] Can't Post

just really like the production sets on that one better.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2012, 3:04am

Post #19 of 22 (156 views)
Shortcut
Tough to pick one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Gandalf though... I think I would like his storytelling 'style' and he seems like he would a ton of cool junk to talk about!

Misto
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 12:05pm

Post #20 of 22 (232 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... how personal tastes for opera can vary. I'm more of a "never mind the stage setting" type of person. If it's nicely done that's fine with me. If it isn't I'm free to close my eyes and enjoy the music. Still I don't feel like I missed anything. I guess you could say I don't really go to the opera because of the adaption but because of the music. That's also one of the reasons why I never bothered with our local opera back when I lived in a smaller town. They just never really managed the same type of rock-solid quality the State Opera has here.

Anyway... back to topic. I vote for elves and istari without looking at the person in question. They simply have such a long life to look back on... they really should have a story or two or twenty to tell.

(This post was edited by Misto on Oct 13 2012, 12:07pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 8:53pm

Post #21 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf (at least McKellen's Gandalf) could read a grocery list aloud, and I'd still be interested.

Treebeard would be a good laugh if you could stay awake for long enough to hear the end of it, and I'm sure Radagast would have something interesting to say. I'd be tempted to choose the Blue Wizards as well, to find out what they had been up to before and after the War of the Ring.

Durin's Folk
The Shire

Nov 3 2012, 3:58am

Post #22 of 22 (178 views)
Shortcut
Durin!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

He could tell you all those stories and details from all those underground wars against the goblins! Plus all the secrets of the best craftsmen in the entire Middle-Earth!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.