The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Balin's Mace

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 8:17am

Post #1 of 6 (904 views)
Shortcut
Balin's Mace Can't Post

I had the opportunity to handle Balin's Mace at the Weta Cave today. I was nicely asking the staff to get me down Orcrist again and I was unsuccessful again but one of them went out the back and got me a copy of Balins Mace. For any one who wants to buy it be assured it has a good feel & weight to it. Just because it is not made of metal it does not feel light or flimsy. It also has excellent detail in all aspects. I asked for the Weta staff member to take a photo with me holding it but he said no they cannot do this until the movie comes out, which is strange because there are people constantly taking photos of all the items in there including the weapons and I have taken many and posted them here, so they must be some distinction between what is on display and other items in hand. Go figure, but it is only right to respect their decisions, I was just thankful I got to hold the mace, but I will keep plugging away until the day I get to hold Orcrist.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 2:01pm

Post #2 of 6 (636 views)
Shortcut
How heavy would you say it is? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great they let you hold it! The price on some sites is through the roof. If it is a substantial weapon (and didn't feel cheap) then I'd be tempted.

But one cannot tell with pictures online.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 6:10pm

Post #3 of 6 (660 views)
Shortcut
Really hard to tell the weight, maybe somewhere up to [In reply to] Can't Post

3 pounds, or 1.4 kg, so about right for a melee weapon of moderate size, but the important thing is that it had a reasonable heft and presence to it. The best way I can put it is that a real weapon feels comfortable in hand, not unwieldy and also not unneccesarily light, and although clearly not a real weapon it did not feel like a light cheap piece of junk in hand.

I have held real weapons that match historical types, , and I have held junk and speaking in broad terms this felt like it had more good about it than bad. I would consider it worth buying as a prop collectible.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Oct 13 2012, 6:16pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 6:22pm

Post #4 of 6 (705 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the information ElendilTheShort :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look great - looking forward to Balin using it on screen.

Have you held Dwalin's axes by any chance? Smile

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 8:26pm

Post #5 of 6 (606 views)
Shortcut
No just the mace [In reply to] Can't Post

although his pair of axes are on the wall so they may have had them out the back also.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 8:28pm

Post #6 of 6 (866 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to pester them next time you're there for me ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to know what they are like in the flesh. Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.