Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Recontextualizing moments from Lord of the Rings for use in The Hobbit

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 12:04am

Post #1 of 24 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Recontextualizing moments from Lord of the Rings for use in The Hobbit Can't Post

I know this might sound a little strange, BUT PJ and Philippa and Fran are known to re-contextualize, remix and all-together wholesale use moments, lines, etc. from Tolkien's text and re-appropriate them in different situations and characters (description of the Grey Havens, the lines about Eowyn, Tom Bombadil's lines to Old Man Willow, etc.).

They are very much in the mind of, "It's not importent who says them, but that someone says it," and it got me thinking, do you think they will take any moments, lines, from the Lord of the Rings and use them in The Hobbit films in some fashion?

What do you think?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 12:20am

Post #2 of 24 (878 views)
Shortcut
I think there is a good chance Gandalf's warnings to the wargs from [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship will show up here instead.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Labrynian Rebel
The Shire

Oct 12 2012, 3:00am

Post #3 of 24 (709 views)
Shortcut
The song Frodo sings at the Prancing Pony [In reply to] Can't Post

is going to make it (probably) since the dwarves said some lines from it when talking about "learning songs for the movie" in one of the vlogs.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 3:19am

Post #4 of 24 (660 views)
Shortcut
there are also songs in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already seen Far Over the Misty Mountains in the trailer.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 4:48am

Post #5 of 24 (663 views)
Shortcut
After knocking on the grey stone, [In reply to] Can't Post

the Thrush turns to the company and says: "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead."

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 5:03am

Post #6 of 24 (629 views)
Shortcut
Nice. Continuing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the Thrush turns to the company and says: "The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead."

"...and the dead didn't keep it."

Forgive me. Evil

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 12 2012, 5:19am

Post #7 of 24 (583 views)
Shortcut
The bath song? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we can be fairly certain that they will draw freely from all the works that they have the rights to.

What lines do we hope we'll hear, and by whom? Since there is already a bathing scene in the book (at the Carrok) they could take the Crick Hollow bath song and re-purpose it here. Hmmmm, that would be an awkward place to end, though. And I really don't want to see that much of the dwarves.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 5:47am

Post #8 of 24 (596 views)
Shortcut
Then Gandalf gets Tom Bombadil's lines [In reply to] Can't Post

And tells them all to run naked on the grass. Shocked

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 5:55am

Post #9 of 24 (562 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, he tells them this right before they enter Mirkwood, [In reply to] Can't Post

whereafter they go in and promptly begin very literally "molesting" Thranduil's people, just as Captain Salt told us. lol

In Reply To
And tells them all to run naked on the grass. Shocked

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 6:02am

Post #10 of 24 (548 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I would have sat on the doorstep forever waiting for this jump in the meaning of "keep" to pop inside my head.

Meanwhile, inside Erebor...

Bilbo grasped a great two-handled cup, as heavy as he could carry, and cast one fearful eye upwards. Smaug stirred a wing, opened a claw, the rumble of his snoring changed its note.
"What's the matter?" asked Bilbo. "Are you lying on an ant-hill?"
"No," said Smaug, "but I'm not comfortable. I wonder how long it is since I slept in a bed?"
Bilbo yawned. "Work it out on your fingers!" he said and run for his life.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 6:47am

Post #11 of 24 (494 views)
Shortcut
lolissimo [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 8:38am

Post #12 of 24 (535 views)
Shortcut
It depends on how the Old Bilbo framing device works, but I could see this (word for word) being said: [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your
door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing
where you might be swept off to. Do you realize that this is the very path that goes through
Mirkwood, and that if you let it, it might take you to the Lonely Mountain or even further and to
worse places?"

Cue flashback to young Bilbo

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 10:32am

Post #13 of 24 (474 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised to see stuff from LOTR make its way in... [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole Dunedain rangers tomb raiding thing smacks of an oppurtunity to put the barrow wights in, and I'm fairly certain we'll see scenes lifted from fellowship to pad out the first film (i.e. fog on the barrow downs, barrow wights the bit with the wargs) plus I could see alot of the backstory and dialogue of arnor and the elder days being put in to tie the white council stuff together (though I'm not sure whether using minor references to the sil in LOTR would infringe copyright or not)

I'm not sure If I'd want to see stuff like this or not, The LOTR is different from the hobbit, and I wouldn't want important dialogue or characters lifted just to find an excuse to make the films longer (I.e Tom Bombadil or Elronds sons cropping up-no reason for them to be there and PJ would have to kill them off to explain there abscence in LOTR-like radagast...), that said this will probably be out last chance to see Tolkien on the big screen, so I guess it would be cool to see it... (I'd love to see flashbacks to gondolin and the 'goblin wars' and background cameos from Cirdan and Glorfindel-as long as it dosen't take up loads of screentime or change the plot in any way)

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 12:13pm

Post #14 of 24 (442 views)
Shortcut
Lines about Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to suggest "Radagast the Brown? Radagast the bird-tamer? Radagast the simple; Radagast the fool." (and have before), but I just realized that line comes from Unfinished Tales, and is thus off-limits.

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 12 2012, 12:42pm

Post #15 of 24 (408 views)
Shortcut
Actually those lines came from the Fellowship of the Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

It's from Council of Elrond chapter, when Gandalf tells them about Saruman's betrayal and how was Saruman insulting Radagast, who accidentally helped him capture Gandalf.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 12:57pm

Post #16 of 24 (388 views)
Shortcut
Well, I think it's in the movies ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the Tolkien Estate is going to rage so much over one sentence?

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 1:06pm

Post #17 of 24 (395 views)
Shortcut
They'd likely change a few words to avoid issues. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Radagast the Brown? Radagast the hare-tamer? Radagast the simple; Radagast the fool."

Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 12 2012, 1:26pm

Post #18 of 24 (377 views)
Shortcut
Right you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was off-by-one when I consulted the reference list at the bottom of the Wiki page. Good, I want that line to be there. Smile

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 12 2012, 7:02pm

Post #19 of 24 (288 views)
Shortcut
Why not :D [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, those lines show for the first time how corrupted Saruman is, to insult one of his one kinsman. I just don't see how to implant it into the movie, because Saruman is still supposed to look as the good guy.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 7:42pm

Post #20 of 24 (295 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes say harsh things about people I have to work with. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that make me evil and corrupt?

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 12 2012, 7:54pm

Post #21 of 24 (345 views)
Shortcut
Re: I sometimes say harsh things about people I have to work with. [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends, if they didn't deserve it and you plan to take hold of the One Ring and enslave the World, than most probably you really are evil and corrupted :D :D

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 10:42pm

Post #22 of 24 (243 views)
Shortcut
I think you have to leave the council... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you want the ring for yourself!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 12:22am

Post #23 of 24 (226 views)
Shortcut
ooh Barrow Downs [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought of zombie orcs and the creeping hand inside the Barrow, yuck.

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 7:10am

Post #24 of 24 (459 views)
Shortcut
It looks like a pretty accurate assessment to me: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bird-tamer: I'm sure the birds aren't actually "tame", but you can see why someone less in tune with nature would assume they are,

Simple: He lives in a little shack in the woods. A lot more simple than a high stone tower. He knows nothing about machines and engines.

Fool: He forgets to wash. He has a tenancy to play spoons at inappropriate times.

Saurman tends to underestimate the simple and the foolish, but then so do many who call themselves wise and good.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.