Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Stone Giant Smackdown
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DemoElite
Cabin Boy

Oct 11 2012, 11:07pm

Post #1 of 42 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Stone Giant Smackdown Can't Post

I noticed in the new trailer that a stone giant is falling underneath the dwarves. At first glance, it seems like an avalanche but there is a stone giant outline there. I am sure the movie will take on its own nature and add much more than we read in the book. Are the dwarves in the midst of a battle royale? Thoughts?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Bombadil
First Mate

Oct 11 2012, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 42 (823 views)
Shortcut
In the Book..page 57 [In reply to] Can't Post

"When he peeped out in the ligthening flashes, he saw.."

SO in one beautiful Tolkien sentence
We get 2 minutes of Terror on Screen.

It's sorta MondayNight Footbal
for these fellows and the Dwarves?

Just Fans in the 3rd row?

You need to post more
Bomby thinks you are great
& Goldberry approves TOO!

Valandil ed Imladris
Able Seaman

Oct 11 2012, 11:21pm

Post #3 of 42 (770 views)
Shortcut
I hope the stone giants fight each other [In reply to] Can't Post

and not the company, because they are not supposed to be plain evil!
But yes, PJ is expanding the scene and is making another menace for the company. For me, it works, adding some danger along the way for the first film.

Lacrimae Rerum
Boatswain

Oct 11 2012, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 42 (688 views)
Shortcut
Well it was a danger to the company in the text [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm not sure that aspect is an addition.

LR

There&ThereAgain
Rigger

Oct 11 2012, 11:27pm

Post #5 of 42 (683 views)
Shortcut
if goblin-town [In reply to] Can't Post

is the middle to latter half of AUJ then I definitely see the journey between rivendell and goblin-town to be greatly expanded.

Those Stone Giants look wonderful.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Valandil ed Imladris
Able Seaman

Oct 11 2012, 11:29pm

Post #6 of 42 (697 views)
Shortcut
I just read the chapter yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

and they realize that there are giants playing ball with each other and Tolkien mentions that Gandalf looks worried, something like that. But nothing happens, and soon afterwards they are entering the cave, so it's not a danger for a long time in the book.

There's also a line after they escape goblin town, where Gandalf says he'll be looking for a decent giant later that could smash the entrance of goblin town, so that the passage might be save again :D

AinurOlorin
First Mate

Oct 11 2012, 11:36pm

Post #7 of 42 (688 views)
Shortcut
Kind of agreed. The notion that everything in the time of Middle-Earth is [In reply to] Can't Post

either primarily good or primarily evil, with no inbetween, is bothersome and not properly representative. Lacrimae is right that they were a danger to the company, but they were an incidental and amoral danger, rather like the storm itself, not a hostile and malicious, evil danger like The Nazgul, or The Balrog, The Barrow Wights or even Old Man Willow. The giants were out amuzing themselves, not looking to kill Dwarves. If some dwarves got in the way and got themselves done in, oh well. But that wasn't the giants agenda.

In Reply To
and not the company, because they are not supposed to be plain evil!
But yes, PJ is expanding the scene and is making another menace for the company. For me, it works, adding some danger along the way for the first film.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Eye's on Guard
Able Seaman

Oct 11 2012, 11:40pm

Post #8 of 42 (612 views)
Shortcut
Unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre-Rivendell is longer than we think. Location filming included scenes from outskirts of Hobbiton, Bywater countryside, outskirts of Bree, Farthing Countryside/Weatherhills, and Lonelands even before Trollshaw Forest. It could just be to fill in the geographical gap but I think there might be more going on here. It'd be nice if there was a lot of individual character establishment along the way before the Trollshaws.

Valandil ed Imladris
Able Seaman

Oct 11 2012, 11:41pm

Post #9 of 42 (611 views)
Shortcut
I hope this will be just so in the film! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to much stretch, PJ!!

Valandil ed Imladris
Able Seaman

Oct 11 2012, 11:43pm

Post #10 of 42 (594 views)
Shortcut
character development is always fine [In reply to] Can't Post

especially when there are thirteen (unknown) dwarves to the audience!

Lacrimae Rerum
Boatswain

Oct 11 2012, 11:52pm

Post #11 of 42 (590 views)
Shortcut
I quite agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just pointing out that it was still dangerous enough for even Gandalf to be a bit worried and for them to be relieved to find shelter from it.

Occasionally it is described here as if the company were just watching them in the distance without concern, so it seemed worth plucking out that the company feeling in danger, in contrast, is a more straightforward interpretation.

LR

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Oct 11 2012, 11:59pm)

totoro
Able Seaman

Oct 12 2012, 5:08am

Post #12 of 42 (461 views)
Shortcut
When I read the Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the distinct impression that Gandalf and company wanted to avoid attracting the attention of the giants because one of the giants might decide to pick up a dwarf and drop-kick him. I suppose it could be considered an "amoral" danger, but it felt to me like something more than walking through a lightning storm. More like an ant walking by a kid with a magnifying glass at high noon.

AinurOlorin
First Mate

Oct 12 2012, 5:53am

Post #13 of 42 (436 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

And agreed, but again, dangerous in the way that being out in the middle of a terrible storm, or climbing up the side of a mountain is dangerous, as opposed to being pursued by bloodthirsty villains bent on your ruin.

In Reply To
Just pointing out that it was still dangerous enough for even Gandalf to be a bit worried and for them to be relieved to find shelter from it.

Occasionally it is described here as if the company were just watching them in the distance without concern, so it seemed worth plucking out that the company feeling in danger, in contrast, is a more straightforward interpretation.

LR

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Fardragon
Rigger

Oct 12 2012, 7:54am

Post #14 of 42 (392 views)
Shortcut
The stone giants are a personification of natural dangers [In reply to] Can't Post

In this case, being up a mountain in a storm.

Principally the danger is being hit by a boulder (avalanche).

Compare to Scylla and Charybdis in the Odyssey.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 12 2012, 8:06am

Post #15 of 42 (466 views)
Shortcut
I'm still surprised they made it into the film! [In reply to] Can't Post

One reference, and they're in!

Why couldn't PJ do that for the LOTR trilogy? Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rigger

Oct 12 2012, 8:10am

Post #16 of 42 (407 views)
Shortcut
In this case, they make the danger more immediate and spectacular than [In reply to] Can't Post

"we better hide out in a cave in case of avalanche".

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 12 2012, 8:15am

Post #17 of 42 (369 views)
Shortcut
Hiding because of the weather sounds like a good enough reason for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bifur is a walking lightning conductor! Wink

Fardragon
Rigger

Oct 12 2012, 8:42am

Post #18 of 42 (366 views)
Shortcut
Given that his cousin is an ace brain surgeon [In reply to] Can't Post

You would have thought he would have had that out...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2012, 8:48am

Post #19 of 42 (394 views)
Shortcut
Even the rocks and stones in Middle-earth are hinted at as being sentient... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I don't have the exact quote, but in FOTR, Legolas says something to the effect that the rocks and stones in Hollin still recall the Elves of Eregion.

It's not too far fetched to believe that the Maiar and other lesser spirits who entered the world at the beginning of time took such forms.

The stone giants should make for a nice visual to back Bilbo's statement that "Middle-earth is, after all, full of strange creatures beyond count." Smile

(This post was edited by Earl on Oct 12 2012, 9:37am)

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 12 2012, 9:27am

Post #20 of 42 (347 views)
Shortcut
Too risky! ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 12 2012, 9:30am

Post #21 of 42 (384 views)
Shortcut
Here's the quote :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

'That is true,' said Legolas. `But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them: Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.'

The Ring Goes South

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2012, 9:36am

Post #22 of 42 (337 views)
Shortcut
Daniel, you rock! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's the line I was talking about. It really sounds (to me anyway) that the stones in that region were more alive, so to speak, just like some of the "trees" in certain other regions.

(This post was edited by Earl on Oct 12 2012, 9:59am)

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 12 2012, 9:58am

Post #23 of 42 (327 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the stones have an after-memory of the Elves, but I don't think they sit there talking to each other.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gunner

Oct 12 2012, 10:51am

Post #24 of 42 (316 views)
Shortcut
Hers my suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

One stone-giant is about to hurl a huge rock at the party. One huge enough to knock them all of the mountain to their deaths in the valley below. However, just before he does, he is tackled by a fellow giant, drops the boulder, and they both fall down the mountain laughing. Unwittingly, one Stone-Giant has just saved the entire quest.

Fardragon
Rigger

Oct 12 2012, 12:48pm

Post #25 of 42 (283 views)
Shortcut
SHE could do it... [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.