Movie Theatres in 48fps?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 3:14pm

Post #26 of 44 (603 views)
Shortcut
Right but that's not what the audience sees. [In reply to] Can't Post

By the time the prints go out for projection the generations removed from the master negative and original answer print are pretty far removed. Then every time it gets run through a projector it loses even more fidelity from the original.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 3:19pm

Post #27 of 44 (680 views)
Shortcut
what we need is swivel seats then [In reply to] Can't Post

to counteract the neck ache situation. But then we would get seasick. The best solution would be seats that follow the movement of your eye, seasick again. no maybe holodecks where you are suspended by a harness in an empty room, so you can interact but be comfortably supported. you could also have those hats with cans of beer strapped to the crown, with a straw for easy glugging, and extra big pocketses for popcorn and snacks. and for the ladies, Tena Lady diapers, cos we have bladders the size of walnuts.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 10 2012, 3:21pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 3:46pm

Post #28 of 44 (597 views)
Shortcut
I know that nowhere near me is getting 48 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

which truly doesn't bother me at all since I think it's a bad idea right along with the 3-D choice. But as long as others enjoy it and I am not forced to watch it.It is what it is... The theater I normally go to upgraded to the 4k resolution sometime in the last year so I will be enjoying that however.

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 11:38pm

Post #29 of 44 (552 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong, I agree that 4K does beat film as a distribution medium and looks great, taking a lot of the variability of.print quality out of the equation. I still do have problems with 2K and would rather watch a good film print than the noticeable pixelation it entails, but 4K is clearly going to be the standard for all theaters in the very near future, and I have no qualms with it.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 2:48am

Post #30 of 44 (500 views)
Shortcut
Keep an eye on this site [In reply to] Can't Post

Current as of today. Nothing yet but looks like they'll update regularly!

48fpsmovies.com

Scot Down South
The Shire

Oct 11 2012, 5:39am

Post #31 of 44 (561 views)
Shortcut
48fps in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting New Zealand does not appear on the Sony list ?

However I am sure the Embassy in Wellington will give us the full works as it hosts the world Premier ! Haven't got tickets to the premier - who does outside the press and movie people. Will wait like everyone else.

Ps. Will the ringers on the Hobbit premier trip see the movie sooner or have to wait till general release .

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 3:40pm

Post #32 of 44 (548 views)
Shortcut
Bizarre, frankly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
not even in Manchester? thats a bit odd.

Yep, if what she's been told is true. It would appear that the "select theatres" claim was an under-statement! Crazy

It's quite incredible what an impact a handful of bloggers have had on the chances of the format, isn't it? Yes, there are financial considerations, too, but had the response to Jackson's unfinished footage at CinemaCon been more positive (or at least not dominated so comprehensively by the negative commenters) then I'm sure we'd be looking at a much greater roll-out of the format right across the globe.

Wouldn't we?

Reptile
Rivendell

Oct 11 2012, 5:08pm

Post #33 of 44 (464 views)
Shortcut
Looks like few and far between [In reply to] Can't Post

I took your advice and emailed two of our local theater chains. I received prompt replies from both; the response from the Cinemark theater was a bit vague, indicating that they were still working with the distributor on this, but they assured me that they would have 48fps on at least one screen.

The IMAX theater representative sent the following reply: "Apparently only 10% of IMAX Theatres will be upgraded for 48 fps.. Major markets… I would think LA, SF, NY, Chi etc"

It seems like,
if you buy tickets early, it will be difficult to be certain that you are getting tickets for the 48fps projection screen, as this will be playing on a number of screens and they don't seem to be sure which screen they will be setting this up for. I believe I'll just take my chances and enjoy whatever comes on the screen.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2012, 6:24pm

Post #34 of 44 (481 views)
Shortcut
I'm determined to see 48fps at least once. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm resigned to the idea that I'll have to travel out of NP to see it, though. Surely Wellington and Auckland will have it!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 6:30pm

Post #35 of 44 (451 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, me too. It looks like I may have to go to [In reply to] Can't Post

the AMCs in Bloomington (about 50 miles away). It's a college town (Indiana University) so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the closest. But I won't be going there on day 1.

Permanent address: Into the West

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 9:01pm

Post #36 of 44 (441 views)
Shortcut
Kendalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Manchester is I think the second or third largest city after London? the other being Birmingham. If they dont have 48fps in the 2nd largest city in the UK, theres not much hope really of seeing it, especially if you live far away from any city. Either that or you have a day trip down South.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 9:13pm

Post #37 of 44 (430 views)
Shortcut
UK stuff. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a website that shows all the UK cinemas doing 4K (but nothing on 48fps), but I forgot what it's called - so that's helpful, isn't it.

What I'd like to know is whether seeing it at 4K in 2D at 48fps will give a more detailed picture than seeing it at 2K in 3D at 48fps. If so, which is better? Presumably, even to see it at 2K in 3D, you'd have to go to a 4K cinema, otherwise you'd be seeing it at 1K in 3D, or 2K in 2D?!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 9:18pm

Post #38 of 44 (431 views)
Shortcut
This? [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sphdle1
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 10:55pm

Post #39 of 44 (436 views)
Shortcut
Maybe IMAX Theatres will show it at full resolution!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so unless they show it at the IMAX, it is likely that they will not be showing it in 48fps here... :(

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 2:36am

Post #40 of 44 (441 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the chap - I'd forgotten it was something to do with Sony. So does that mean that it excludes cinemas with other company's equipment?

In Reply To

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 7:46am

Post #41 of 44 (396 views)
Shortcut
Fifth I think [In reply to] Can't Post

After Birmingham, Glasgow and Leeds.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 8:11am

Post #42 of 44 (414 views)
Shortcut
Haven't a clue! [In reply to] Can't Post

And, unfortunately, there are none where I live. Frown

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 12 2012, 12:23pm

Post #43 of 44 (425 views)
Shortcut
Distribution formats [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What I'd like to know is whether seeing it at 4K in 2D at 48fps will give a more detailed picture than seeing it at 2K in 3D at 48fps. If so, which is better? Presumably, even to see it at 2K in 3D, you'd have to go to a 4K cinema, otherwise you'd be seeing it at 1K in 3D, or 2K in 2D?!

I don't think they're planning to distribute 2D/48fps as an option, although maybe I'm mistaken. My impression has been that the 48fps is coming as a package with 3D.

Note that just about any projector capable of showing RealD 3D (whether 2K or 4K) can already show the film at 48fps. RealD is naturally 48fps, but when showing 3D, it alternates the frames for the right and left eyes, resulting in 24fps, overall. When in 2D mode, without the ZScreen filter, they can show films at 48fps without upgrade. The upgrade is needed to show 3D at 48fps.

To answer your question: Yes, 4K in any combination will give a more detailed picture than 2K in any combination. (But again, I don't think you'll be seeing the 48fps on any but 4K projectors.)

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 3:26am

Post #44 of 44 (443 views)
Shortcut
Nuts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know more than one other person who wants to see it at 4K and 48fps, but not in 3D.

So, is it correct that in Real 3D, with an updated system, it will be showing the film at 96fps, alternating frames between each eye, which will enable each frame to be viewed at 4K, at 48fps, rather than the 2k for each eye that normal 3D provides as a maximum?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.