Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
What is the kitschiest LOTR item you've bought?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 2:47am

Post #1 of 27 (943 views)
Shortcut
What is the kitschiest LOTR item you've bought? Can't Post

I was going through a box of action figures and stuff and came across an unopened box of LOTR licensed Valentines Day cards... you know, the type children pass around at school.

Until I found -- and remembered I had -- the Valentine cards I would have said the tackiest LOTR merch I ever had was an Aragorn (or was it Strider?) car air freshener.

What's yours?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 3:01am

Post #2 of 27 (469 views)
Shortcut
I have the Valentines [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I have them from both FOTR and TTT.

I have these busts that came in gumball machines. But I don't think they're kitschy. I don't think the Valentines are, either. :-)

I have chocolate candy bars that have LOTR wrappers. I have these square lenticular cards.

I kind of have a Legolas and Gimli standup. The sci fi / fantasy bookstore in my town had a drawing and I entered myself, my husband, and my two sons. My oldest son won Legolas and Gimli. They're kind of mine, though. They stood for a short while in the living room and my heart would go pittypat everytime I walked by.

I have a deck of LOTR playing cards I got on sale after the party was over and stores were dumping merchandise.

I bought popcorn for one of my ROTK visits and then realized that they were using LOTR bags for a different size. They wouldn't let me switch and I'm too frugal to buy two bags of popcorn. But, I looked around the theater to see who had one. Then, when the movie was over, I asked the person in front of me if they were keeping the bag or throwing it away. She (after looking oddly at me) said she was throwing it away and I asked if I could have it. She said, "It's got my used kleenex inside." but I assured her that didn't phase me any. I wasn't going to eat out of it. I dumped it upside down over the trash bin as I left and folded it up to take home.

I apparently have no shame.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:29am

Post #3 of 27 (528 views)
Shortcut
The worst piece of merchandise ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously my partner would say all of it! Wink But to me, it's all great. I have collected some naff things over time though.

It's not particularly tacky ... but for some reason I still have a Pringle can with Aragorn on it somewhere. Why I kept I don't no. It was impulse, ok? Tongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:39am

Post #4 of 27 (469 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two pop cans, I think 7 UP, one with Legolas and one with Frodo, on them.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 27 (466 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. A 'Sting' key ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sting originally lit up.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:01pm

Post #6 of 27 (440 views)
Shortcut
No shame indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

it sound like the woman might have been getting a little possessive of the thing she was about to throw out... weird how that happens.

We had several plastic popcorn buckets that were all destroyed from use and reuse as, well, buckets.

Oh and just in case anyone is unsure, "tacky" and "kitschy" are not intended to be value laden terms. I just don't know of a better way to describe it when someone puts a meaningful image on something cheap and disposable, and then someone like me hangs onto it. I think I have a package of ROTK M&Ms... I'm sure they're still delicious Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:07pm

Post #7 of 27 (433 views)
Shortcut
It didn't fall apart? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a couple key tags signifying various obsessions (one from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was a favourite). The only one that did not disintegrate or otherwise go missing because of a broken chain link was an actual One Ring replica (from a Risk game I think) that I threaded directly onto a key ring. It's all worn down but otherwise intact.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:09pm

Post #8 of 27 (437 views)
Shortcut
Sting is currently hanging from a messenger bag... [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep gaming stuff in the bag for role-playing sessions.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:27pm

Post #9 of 27 (472 views)
Shortcut
Nerd Alert! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your geek cred is now firmly established my friend. Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:29pm

Post #10 of 27 (408 views)
Shortcut
Just so... [In reply to] Can't Post

And proud of it!

"The meek shall inherit the Earth."
The geeks will go to the stars!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 11 2012, 4:31pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 4:30pm

Post #11 of 27 (494 views)
Shortcut
I would think an Aragorn car freshener would take the prize. For myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's probably the pointed ears I bought at The Exhibition. (Have we heard anything about a Hobbit Exhibition?) And no, I don't think the BK ring comes under the heading of Kitsch, although the glasses certainly were bordering on it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 5:05pm

Post #12 of 27 (444 views)
Shortcut
A Pringle can with Aragorn on it? And you've kept it? [In reply to] Can't Post

okay. I take it back. I think this trumps the air freshener.Heart

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 5:25pm

Post #13 of 27 (438 views)
Shortcut
Hey, it might be worth *millions* in the future! [In reply to] Can't Post

I ate the Pringles though. Tongue

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 6:05pm

Post #14 of 27 (422 views)
Shortcut
When I got those BK figurines the cashier told me... [In reply to] Can't Post

they would really be worth something someday, so I got a second set that I have not taken out of the plastic bag. But then, the professional toy companies came out with their better figurines, so I guess the BKs won't be worth much. I haven't looked on ebay lately to see what they are going for...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:25pm

Post #15 of 27 (409 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Some would say everything LotR is kitsch ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah... I have the valentines, and the pringles cans, bookmarks, popcorn buckets, very tiny Sting, LotR labelled twig made into a pencil, car air fresheners, napkins...

I think the most obscure or kitschy thing I have (remembering off the top of my head) is the collection of movie/book displays from the stores. You know... the ones holding the books when they went on sale, the dvds, the soundtrack, etc. I have several standees, but the displays are fun :) I hadn't "bought" them... but I did torment the stores until they turned them over!

Would Sean Astin's and Elijah Wood's water bottles from an ORC convention count? ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:33pm

Post #16 of 27 (474 views)
Shortcut
Only the best must have collected (and kept) the Pringle cans! ;-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:42pm

Post #17 of 27 (432 views)
Shortcut
Sean Astin and Elijah Wood's water bottles? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, gramma...NO!!!!!

I knew you were uber fan, but....HeartHeartHeartHeart

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 9:44pm

Post #18 of 27 (440 views)
Shortcut
I don't think she was possessive [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps to understand that people in MN are generally friendly but not chatty with strangers. That was number 1. I was talking to her. Number 2... I was asking something from her. Again, not so common, here. But mostly, I think she didn't think I'd want it with a nasty kleenex in it and wanted to warn me. Then I think she couldn't believe I really did want it and I thought, perhaps, I was a little nasty.. so to speak. You know, like someone who take leftover food off other people's plates at restaurants.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 10:39pm

Post #19 of 27 (409 views)
Shortcut
These are the best stories! [In reply to] Can't Post

The popcorn bag is priceless! I have only thought of doing such things. I will now work harder to achieve this level of shamelessness. Smile

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 4:19pm

Post #20 of 27 (415 views)
Shortcut
Collecting DNA [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a whole other category. Elijah's water bottle is better than a random fan's used tissue though. Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 4:24pm

Post #21 of 27 (379 views)
Shortcut
Okay, hands up who've ever done that... [In reply to] Can't Post

* crickets chirping *

Magpie, you are a hoot. Smile Now that I think of it though, there's probably someone somewhere that has a French fry or piece of broccoli they lifted from Elijah Wood's plate while at convention... it's carefully tucked away, wrapped in a clean tissue or encased in resin...

Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 7:51pm

Post #22 of 27 (511 views)
Shortcut
you mean take leftover food off plates at restaurants? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am embarrassed to admit we did, once. It was mid 70s, we were at a college pizza joint. A couple ordered a pizza, ate a slice each and left the rest on the table. Ours was ordered, we were waiting... but that pizza was perfectly good. We took it and ate it. Then we ate the one we ordered.

It was probably illegal but we were young. What can I say?

We wouldn't have done it with anything other than a pizza. You really touch anything other than the slice you take.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 12 2012, 9:50pm

Post #23 of 27 (494 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I've been tempted [In reply to] Can't Post

it's amazing how much perfectly good food goes to waste in restaurants.

Wink

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 1:48pm

Post #24 of 27 (336 views)
Shortcut
That's a great one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad it doesn't light up anymore :(. I'm really tough on key chains though, mine probably wouldn't have lasted week!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 1:51pm

Post #25 of 27 (369 views)
Shortcut
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends! [In reply to] Can't Post

We used to watch that at our house. Is it still on? We can't seem to find it on anymore, despite having approximately 4 bazillion cable channels.... Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.