Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Green Screen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 38 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Green Screen Can't Post

I know technology has improved, but Iīm a bit concerned about how the amount of greenscreen will affect to the look of the movie. Bilboīs shoot looking upwards in Rivendell is awesome and so beautifull but I still can notice that Martin is on a completely greenscreen scenario.
I like Kong, Jacksonīs Kong but many times, specially on the jungle you an notice that the actor is surrounded by an awesome painting, in particular I remember Brontosaur stampedee and the guys runing, and that shot of the Wargs in Hobbit trailer remind me soooooo much to that, I donīt know...

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

Fāfnir
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 4:20pm

Post #2 of 38 (921 views)
Shortcut
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't notice anything if I didn't know that green screen is used. // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 38 (936 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping that it's just because the trailer's shots are out of context... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that in context the CGI won't be as imposing. But I definitely share your concern that PJ may have gone overboard this time. Fingers tightly crossed.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 5:08pm

Post #4 of 38 (1043 views)
Shortcut
You mean this shot? [In reply to] Can't Post

<-- Sly

I personally think it looks great. I actually don't have a problem with it, but I'm not one to notice such tings I guess...Crazy

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 11 2012, 5:10pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 38 (911 views)
Shortcut
CGI is not finished [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of us have breathlessly chimed in, but I will chime in again Smile

the CGI in the trailer looks good, sometimes great, but is nowhere near the final renders that will be in the film.

For those shots to be in the trailer they probably had to turn over those shots, most likely in July? August?

Final renders won't start churning out until end of this month, but most likely November.

Let's cheer on those tireless Weta animators! Go! Go! Go!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 5:36pm

Post #6 of 38 (867 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think more than noticing, you are assuming Martin Freeman is in fron of a green screen. That's because you know green screen it's being used, you know how it works and how improbable is to film a scene like that without that technology. But I assure you that if you bring someone who doesn't know anything about how movies are made, he or she will be seeing a very ridiculous beautiful natural "all in front of camera" scene.

I always try to see this kind of things as if they were really filmed, and by now I can tell when my mind is tricking me and when something it really looks fake. Try to put yourself in that state of mind, and if still looks fake, then it's really being done poorly.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Oct 11 2012, 5:39pm)

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Oct 11 2012, 7:09pm

Post #7 of 38 (768 views)
Shortcut
I find it improbable [In reply to] Can't Post

that this film will look somehow worse than LOTR that was made 10 years ago... WETA is great and I have every faith in them.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 7:27pm

Post #8 of 38 (709 views)
Shortcut
Well Iīm comparing it not with LOTR but with Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I suposse that CGI will improve by the time of the release

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 7:29pm

Post #9 of 38 (727 views)
Shortcut
burgahobbit hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Iīm talking about the one were Bilbo is on a bridge and the sky is reflected on the water, the one you show is pretty good.

But in the other one (Bilbo in the bridge) it seems that his feet are not ON the real ground, I donīt know, itīs a weird sensation

Chopsta123
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 7:34pm

Post #10 of 38 (698 views)
Shortcut
not only that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but theres also a difference between watching a scene out of context, like in a trailer, compared to watching it in the finished film. Once the movie is established and the audience is immersed, it will be less noticable.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 38 (746 views)
Shortcut
The CGI in the trailer is NOT worse than LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI in LotR is laughable now (still impressive at the time, and still pretty good)... the stuff in the trailer is on par with most stuff released nowadays, and it will be even better in the final render of the film ;)

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 7:56pm

Post #12 of 38 (715 views)
Shortcut
laughable? [In reply to] Can't Post

i hate to tell you this, but the CGI in LOTR has held up extremely well. Unlike a lot of films from that era.
Not sure what crappy quality vhs version of LOTR you've been watching...

However, I know the CGI in The Hobbit is going to be incredible, and better of course

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 8:02pm

Post #13 of 38 (721 views)
Shortcut
LOTR CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some movies were the CGI is the top of itīs era, but with time they look poor. Is not CGI in LOTR, perhaps some of FOTR or TTT things but the way CGI is used in those, with such sense of art provides you the vibe of the film and make that CGI look perdurable.

Is like Jurassic Park first filmīs dinosaurs, a lot of the CGI nowadays is better, but the way they did it, it still make me thing, it is real!

CGI used with a strong and inspired sens of art are a powerfull tool

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 9:09pm

Post #14 of 38 (623 views)
Shortcut
I think its all about [In reply to] Can't Post

immersion and a suspension of belief. If you start to nitpick and look for the cracks, you will probably see them. Just go with the emotion of the scene and forget the technical stuff, if you can. When I saw gandalf and Pippin ride up the streets of Minas Tirith then stand on the great terrace of the White Tree, and we saw the grandeur of the panorama and that strange beautiful blue/white light, it made me forget that they were in a studio, and it wasnt real, it made me gasp in awe and a tear came to my eyes. Forget everything, just FEEL!!!!!!!!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 9:50pm

Post #15 of 38 (561 views)
Shortcut
I like the way you think [In reply to] Can't Post

as much as I love behind the scenes and knowing the process to make the magic, I still try and preserve it.

Movies are feeling. Heart

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 10:00pm

Post #16 of 38 (544 views)
Shortcut
awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

chillsSmile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 10:10pm

Post #17 of 38 (556 views)
Shortcut
Also remember LOTR's CG was an Experiment [In reply to] Can't Post

12 years ago.
Since then
many have worked on KK, Narnia,
I fully EXPECT
they really want to.
Do their best work on
TH.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 10:19pm

Post #18 of 38 (567 views)
Shortcut
That crappy quality vhs version of LOTR I've been watching, [In reply to] Can't Post

is called Blu-ray!
At that time it was breathtaking, and it feel real when I watch the movie, BUT for example... the ruins they walk past right after Rivendell seems like it's taken out of a videogame and placed into the movie...
Of course the Cave Troll, Balrog and Gollum is impressive work, but I can easily see that it's fake...

It's a different thing, watching a movie, and watching photos from a CGI-moment...
And the CGI in LotR is amazing and works well in the movie, but on pictures it looks fake, no question about it

Terrible Tony
The Shire

Oct 11 2012, 10:21pm

Post #19 of 38 (534 views)
Shortcut
Preconceptions... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw LOTR in films, there were several particularly dodgy and fake looking shots of Isengard and its surroundings that stuck out to me as bad CGI.

Then I saw the behind the scenes on the EE DVDs and found out they were actually miniature shots.

I try to throw all my preconceptions about effects out the window now. :p

Anya
The Shire

Oct 11 2012, 10:30pm

Post #20 of 38 (504 views)
Shortcut
This is the way I feel only you said it better than I could [In reply to] Can't Post

Chopsta123
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 10:35pm

Post #21 of 38 (516 views)
Shortcut
one thing to keep in mind though [In reply to] Can't Post

the improvement in quality that blu-ray provides doesnt make CGI more realistic. It makes the images sharper overall but the CGI elements are the same.
Everything probably looked good enough for DVD standards but now that bluray is here you can spot all the flaws that were previously blurred out by your DVD. In that regard maybe the most realistic integration of CGI elements will happen on VHS. lol

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 10:39pm

Post #22 of 38 (541 views)
Shortcut
I found Isengard so cheap [In reply to] Can't Post

I dindt like miniatures so much

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 10:44pm

Post #23 of 38 (528 views)
Shortcut
by hard thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

okay, one realizes the CGI and the greenscreen, especially when they are placing hobbits or dwarves in front of a background.
But I really don't care while watching, although I know that there is a lot of green screen and CGI, because I'm simply trapped in middle-earth and craving for more and more.
That' the reason why I don't have a problem with the Hobbit trailers and the toning. The effects are better, but can still be identified as "fake".
I'm simply enjoying the ride, the whole story with it's arcs and characters and I'm totally astonished by the effects. And the ones in the Hobbit seem to be no less breathtaking than in TLOTR. So, just bring December on.. !!!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 11:01pm

Post #24 of 38 (467 views)
Shortcut
I am fully aware of that :P [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I pointed out that I didn't watch a VHS xD

I've watched the DVD's as well, and I clearly see the CGI as fake there as well

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Oct 11 2012, 11:02pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 11:27pm

Post #25 of 38 (457 views)
Shortcut
Really?! I thought that first shot of Isengard and of Orthanc looked amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I dindt like miniatures so much

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.