Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Fire in Rocky Mountain National Park

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 5:43pm

Post #1 of 15 (353 views)
Shortcut
Fire in Rocky Mountain National Park Can't Post

I guess it was inevitable. They're expecting to get it contained soon. No structures are in danger, according to the reports, but I'd bet the bridge at the Pool is gone. Here are some photos we took at the Pool (an ambitious name for a wide spot in the creek) last summer. I'm hoping the Ent Foot survives.

Here's an article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 10 2012, 5:46pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 15 (143 views)
Shortcut
Heard about that from the in-laws last night [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been in that area - thanks for the pictures. Hopefully the fire won't endanger any people.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 6:55pm

Post #3 of 15 (153 views)
Shortcut
Doing a rain dance for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they control it as soon as possible.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 15 (145 views)
Shortcut
That area always reminds me of Ithilien. [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep expecting to meet Faramir around the next corner.

I'm pretty sure no people are in an danger. Not so sure about the critters. Half the trees are dead, so the fire is probably a good thing, though it will be sad to see the aftermath. And I do hope the Ent Foot is OK.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 15 (129 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see that rain dance :-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2012, 1:12am

Post #6 of 15 (145 views)
Shortcut
Was it that [In reply to] Can't Post

beetle that killed the trees?

If so, then if any good can come of this fire, hopefully it will wipe out the bugs doing the destruction! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 3:06am

Post #7 of 15 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the fire helps, but it's relatively small, so I don't know what that means. Maybe the beetles from the surrounding areas will move back in. But at any rate, it will clean up the dead wood.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:07am

Post #8 of 15 (139 views)
Shortcut
It was obviously not very good ... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's heavy rain forecast for much of the UK! Must have been doing it wrong!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 2:16pm

Post #9 of 15 (132 views)
Shortcut
Going for a walk [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so amazing to think that when I go for a walk, it's to a lake down the street from my house - when you go for a walk, it's in the Rocky Mountains :-).
Enjoyed the photos, especially the one of you in between those huge boulders!
It's sad to think that bridge might be gone - I hope they can contain the fire before it gets there.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 2:22pm

Post #10 of 15 (141 views)
Shortcut
Well, I do have to drive an hour to get there. [In reply to] Can't Post

We do have a little lake near our house, but it's an ordinary one, though it looks nice when the sun rises.

I'm also hoping the bridge is spared, though I don't expect it will be. The boulders are called "Arch Rocks", though there isn't a real arch there. I think they were left there by glaciers 10,000 years ago.

There's a place a few miles from there called "Gollum's Arch" that is also not a real arch :-)

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 4:47pm

Post #11 of 15 (126 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a stunning shot of the lake! It must look beautiful in the winter too, it would make such a pretty holiday card.

As for those 'arches', well I like looking at them, but rock climbing like those folks is definitely not for me :). I'm perfectly happy just admiring them from the ground!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 4:51pm

Post #12 of 15 (121 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even like scrambling up rocky slopes these days. Last summer we stopped a quarter mile short of a lake after hiking five miles because it involved a scramble.

I took that photo of the local lake through a hole in a chain-link fence :-D It's in the middle of town. A common walk in my neighborhood is to walk around it, about a mile and half around. It used to be called Cemetery Lake because it's right by the cemetery, but the developers changed the name to Silver Lake.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 2:40pm

Post #13 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

More fires. I know part of it is the cycle of nature and ecology, but it breaks my heart to see so much beauty get charred.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 13 2012, 3:35am

Post #14 of 15 (123 views)
Shortcut
Noooo!! That is awful [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've been to Fern in 30 years, and the trail was under several feet of snow (in late June). I can't remember if I was ever there when I was younger, with no snow. I hope you have a lot of pictures to remember it by in it's pre-fire state.

This is so sad.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 13 2012, 4:12am

Post #15 of 15 (371 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was looking at the fire map [In reply to] Can't Post

and it looks like it was actually a little west of the Pool, and mostly off the trail, up the side of the slope, so maybe the hike won't be impacted much.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.