Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Characters that you are most excited to see in action.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Username4242
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 6:17am

Post #1 of 32 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Characters that you are most excited to see in action. Can't Post

With the date fast approaching, I'm interested in gauging the performances members of this board are most excited to see in The Hobbit.

Strangely, after seeing the still from the trailer with a somewhat deranged, serious Bifur staring off into the distance as the rest of the dwarves are laughing, he's become one of the characters that I'm most looking forward to seeing play out, in addition to the obvious (Radagast, Thorin, etc.).

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2012, 6:26am

Post #2 of 32 (966 views)
Shortcut
Hello Username4242! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to tORN Smile

For me, Martin Freeman (Bilbo), Richard Armitage (Thorin), Luke Evans (Bard), and Benedict Cumberbatch (Smaug, The Necromancer) are the one's I will be watching closely as they play key/primary roles in the narrative.

Of course, I love Gandalf/Sir Ian McKellen but I already know that he will not disappoint me.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Gusev8
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 7:11am

Post #3 of 32 (937 views)
Shortcut
Characters I want to see [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage and Benedict Cumberbatch have lead roles and are new to Middle-Earth so I will look at them closely. But I can't deny that the character I can't wait for to see is Gollum; and by that I mean the ''evil'' side. The rage when he realises Bilbo has the ring.. Hopefully it will be as iconic as in the book. Reading the chapter in the book scared me a lot, so hopefully in the movie it will even more scary :)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 7:16am

Post #4 of 32 (888 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn Username4242! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question - I'm most looking forward to everyone's performance, if I'm honest. Apart from the returnees (Holm, McKellen etc..) I'm fairly unfamiliar with the rest of the cast (there are a few exceptions). From what I've seen, I think they are spot on with most of the casting (perhaps not the designs though Wink).

I can't wait to see Balin adn Bilbo on screen together though!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Gusev8
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 7:23am

Post #5 of 32 (910 views)
Shortcut
Little Concern [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't deny that I was/am a little concerned about Martin Freeman. He has the perfect looks for Bilbo but his performance especially in the second trailer I did not really like. Also talking about the parts from the different endings.. It looks likes he doensn't know where he got himself in to. What Middle-Earth means to people in the world. They are joking in the video blogs a lot and I never saw him as serious as he should be.. Hopefully it is just me..

emre43
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 7:53am

Post #6 of 32 (889 views)
Shortcut
Thorin, Balin and Radagast for me [In reply to] Can't Post

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 9:42am

Post #7 of 32 (873 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they play the two most important roles in the films, I'm very eager to see how they portray them. Though, I really feel like Freeman already basically played Bilbo in Hitchhikers Guide. I honestly feel that if he never played that role, he would not have been considered for Bilbo. I still remember seeing that for the first time (before The Hobbit was even close to being made) and all I could think was "That is Bilbo". I'm just so excited to see him in the role since I've always pictured him in it. I still can't believe my choice for Bilbo so long ago has come true.

Richard Armitage is an unknown for me. I still haven't bothered to see how he's performed in other roles, but this adds to my excitement to see his Thorin. He seems to have the intensity and presence required for the role. The character is almost a mix of Gimli, Borormir, and Aragorn rolled into one. WIll be very interesting to see.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 9:49am

Post #8 of 32 (806 views)
Shortcut
Of course everyone of them especially... [In reply to] Can't Post

Returning cast:
Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey: It has been a long time ago that we've seen him on screen. As Jackson and McKellen himselves I prefer Gandalf the Grey to his later white transformation. I know that Sir Ian won't disappoint us. He got an Academy Award Nomination for his Gandalf the Grey portrayal because he's such a great character (inspiration for Dumbledore and other secondary wizards)

Sir Christopher Lee as Saruman the White: To be honest, I'm a huge fan of his works. The guy is 90 years old and still acting. Great actor! I am also very interested in his character development. I think everybody (who have seen LOTR) is gonna expect him to do something bad. He was one of the main antagonists in LOTR but in TH he is still a good guy. Very interesting indeed!

Andy Serkis as Gollum/Sméagol: Everybody does know why doesn't he? I am really looking forward to see him in rage after realizing that Bilbo got his "precious" (as it was said before). Gollum was always scary and I love this two personality-thing.

Cate Blanchett as Galadriel: Great actress, great character. I really liked the way Jackson, Boyens and Walsh integrated her in TTT and ROTK. Also I hope to see her more in action ("Battle of Dol Guldur" as Boyens promised us)

-----

New cast:
Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins: Any questions? I liked him before in Ricky Gervais' The Office, I loved him in BBCs Sherlock and I am sure I will love him in Peter Jacksons The Hobbit!

Almost the whole Dwarven Company: Of course especially Thorin (Richard) but I can't say which of the other ones I would prefer at the moment. They all look great and different. They're not just 13 dwarves, they're 13 different characters. Looking forward to see them in action.

Silvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown: Great now I named all of the Istari of The Hobbit Wink. I am really interested in his part in all of this and how he will be act different from Gandalf or Saruman.

And almost the whole Goblin and Orc characters: Especially Barry Humphries Great Goblin and his minions. How they built up their own civilization and how they react to Thorin & Co. But also the Dol Guldur/Gundabad breed of Orc with Bolg, Azog, Yazneg and Fimbul.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug and The Necromancer: Well. I'm sure that we are not going to see/hear much of him in AUJ but Smaug is one of my favourite characters in The Hobbit and Sauron is one of my favourite characters in LOTR. Every single second in which we gonna see them will be a lovely moment for me. Also I really like Benedict Cumberbatch as an actor! Happy he plays two of my favourite characters!

-----

You see... actually I could name all the others too. I'm really looking forward to this trilogy of which I will enjoy every second! Smile

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Oct 11 2012, 9:51am)

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 9:57am

Post #9 of 32 (837 views)
Shortcut
Characters we like to see in action [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Welcome to tORN Smile

For me, Martin Freeman (Bilbo), Richard Armitage (Thorin), Luke Evans (Bard), and Benedict Cumberbatch (Smaug, The Necromancer) are the one's I will be watching closely as they play key/primary roles in the narrative.

Of course, I love Gandalf/Sir Ian McKellen but I already know that he will not disappoint me.

Smile

I totally second that, including the Welcome! WinkSeriously, you named all those I'm most looking forward to see. I'd like to add Dean O'Gorman and Aidan Turner (Fili and Kili), though. Smile

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

(This post was edited by Padfoot on Oct 11 2012, 10:02am)

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 10:57am

Post #10 of 32 (716 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed his take on Arthur Dent, and Martin Freeman as Bilbo is the closest thing I'm going to get to watching a sequel of Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2012, 11:39am

Post #11 of 32 (730 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish (Dwalin) [In reply to] Can't Post

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 12:32pm

Post #12 of 32 (686 views)
Shortcut
Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

because he was the best thing about both trailers so far, of the other dwarves: Bofur (looks like a fun character and also my favourite dwarf design along with Thorin) and Bifur (I'm intrigued how he will turn out).

Can't wait to see Thranduil and Legolas as well. Very weird that I'm more excited about seeing Legolas again than Gandalf or even Bilbo but that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 12:40pm

Post #13 of 32 (664 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest the characters that I am most excited to see are all the ones introduced in DoS, particularly Thranduil and Bard. I wonder if they'll approach Bard as the same gloomy "the end is nigh"-type that he was in the book. I wonder also if they'll stress the fact that things generally start improving for him after Smaug's death (he uses it as an opportunity to change), what with his newfound role as leader of the Lake-Men (it takes a catastrophe to kick him from the exiled-royalty-moping-type ala Strider to the proactive leader of his people).

I think the reason I'm not quite as excited (relatively speaking) to see the characters in AUJ is because I've spoiled myself silly here on TORN!

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

stoutfiles
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 12:41pm

Post #14 of 32 (666 views)
Shortcut
The White Council [In reply to] Can't Post

...and Bilbo. Everyone else I'm just worried about.

grinman
Rivendell

Oct 11 2012, 1:14pm

Post #15 of 32 (647 views)
Shortcut
BEORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Easily my most anticipated (new) character! I can't wait to see Beorn in either form! I'm truly excited to see Thorin and Balin as well.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 1:18pm

Post #16 of 32 (648 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To be honest the characters that I am most excited to see are all the ones introduced in DoS, particularly Thranduil and Bard. I wonder if they'll approach Bard as the same gloomy "the end is nigh"-type that he was in the book. I wonder also if they'll stress the fact that things generally start improving for him after Smaug's death (he uses it as an opportunity to change), what with his newfound role as leader of the Lake-Men (it takes a catastrophe to kick him from the exiled-royalty-moping-type ala Strider to the proactive leader of his people).

I think the reason I'm not quite as excited (relatively speaking) to see the characters in AUJ is because I've spoiled myself silly here on TORN!

I'm keen to see how Pace and Evans are going to portray their characters, and, naturally I'm intrigued to see how Tauriel's role will turn out. Beorn, too! Persbrandt will be a revelation, I'm sure!

I guess we basically know what to expect from the returning actors, though it will be interesting to see how they have written Legolas into The Hobbit, and we've seen plenty from Freeman and Armitage already to see the direction they are going to be taking their performances in.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the "lesser" acting roles work out, and discovering in the theatre which Dwarves hit the mark and turn in particularly memorable performances within the ensemble.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Oct 11 2012, 1:19pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 3:00pm

Post #17 of 32 (553 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, username4242! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am anxious to see Radagast, Bilbo and Balin. Gloin, and Beorn, too. Smaug--you've seen one dragon, you've seen them all.Laugh

Permanent address: Into the West

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 3:17pm

Post #18 of 32 (574 views)
Shortcut
For An Unexpected Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm most interested in seeing Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo. As far as the major dwarves, it's Balin and Dwalin. For the minor ones, Gloin and Dori.

Beorn (Mikael Persbrandt) is my most anticipated DoS character because of his uniqueness, and I can't wait to see how Dain (Billy Connolly) looks in TaBA.

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 4:33pm

Post #19 of 32 (520 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe no one has said Gandalf the Grey..... [In reply to] Can't Post

....Ian McKellan has been my favorite aspect of Jackson's films. Can't wait to see him back in action.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 4:34pm

Post #20 of 32 (525 views)
Shortcut
Well, while I agree he's awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just take his wonderfulness for granted. I'm curious about the new boys.

Permanent address: Into the West

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 5:48pm

Post #21 of 32 (468 views)
Shortcut
Same here! // [In reply to] Can't Post

renzn
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 7:23pm

Post #22 of 32 (462 views)
Shortcut
Since 2008 its remained the same [In reply to] Can't Post

for me. It has always been Thranduil, his kingdom and the differences between the appearance of his people and that of Elrond's. Also, the Great Goblin, his overpowering personality and the goblin town.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 8:53pm

Post #23 of 32 (419 views)
Shortcut
Stiff Upper Lip type excitement. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly excited about seeing Tolkien's performance - I believe he's in it, but whether as the main character or as an extra we have yet to see.

Apart from that, Mr Freeman, but only if he manages to channel some of Mr Holm's grumpiness (I think we got a glimpse of this in the trailer, which is encouraging). Grumpiness is what sets Mr Baggins apart as a uniquely English hero in this tale.

Apart from that, if Nesbitt can manage to not remind me of Nesbitt, and McCoy can stop reminding me of Timmy Mallet for the duration of the films, then I'll be happy.

Oh, yes, and if Tauriel manages to get lost (and given that I don't think anyone got Lost, even the writers, this is unlikely).

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 9:16pm

Post #24 of 32 (402 views)
Shortcut
Martin freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

is my first choice, also Thorin, Kili, Thranduil, Tauriel and Beorn. and of course Smaug the Magnificent.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 9:44pm

Post #25 of 32 (403 views)
Shortcut
Hah, spot on about that show [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh, yes, and if Tauriel manages to get lost (and given that I don't think anyone got Lost, even the writers, this is unlikely).

Check out this post of mine in response to the Lilly and baby Smaug photos.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.