Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which phone do you use when you are at home?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which phone do you use when you are at home?
Land line
cellular (mobile)
I don't own a land line
I don't own a cellular phone
View Results (43 votes)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:17pm

Post #26 of 54 (237 views)
Shortcut
We have a new modem from Bright House... [In reply to] Can't Post

and are now paying extra for Lightening. The iPad was freezing when I watched Netflix or something on youtube, in addition to computer slowness. Everything is clipping along nicely now.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 2:19pm

Post #27 of 54 (231 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are at the moment. [In reply to] Can't Post

Until the next power surge. Really, out here in the "sticks" is such a pain in the rear. And by "sticks", I mean "ten miles from town". Crazy

Supposedly, according to our electric co-op, there was a faulty part somewhere on the line, and our whole street was getting power blinks and surges. They fixed it on Friday, so maybe we're good for a while. But now my Kindle won't log on to the wifi and I can't play Words With People I Don't Know. Laugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 2:21pm

Post #28 of 54 (220 views)
Shortcut
*takes notes* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to pass that along to my tech guy (Mr. Eruvande). Our router is from Netgear, and so is my mother in law's, and we are always having problems with them.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:22pm

Post #29 of 54 (221 views)
Shortcut
Oops, I thought Delrond was talking to me. We've had computer woes, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think ours are largely because we are very near a university (Butler). We had to get a secure network, too, which is $5 more/month.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:24pm

Post #30 of 54 (200 views)
Shortcut
It depends on who I'm calling [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's an expensive number (and/or if I'll be talking on the phone for a long time) then the landline, if it's another mobile number, then I'll use my mobile.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:28pm

Post #31 of 54 (218 views)
Shortcut
Long distance... [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't have a long distance plan on the land line, so I try to wait till the weekend and call our long distance folks on the cell phone, cause it's free then.

With the kids, though, I just Skype. Skype and Face Time are wonderful workarounds, if your internet service provider doesn't have a data cap. Right now, Bright House doesn't, but since A T & T does, I expect it will happen soon for us.

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 2:38pm

Post #32 of 54 (212 views)
Shortcut
There's always [In reply to] Can't Post

something that can go wrong, and it usually does. Our receiver decided it would stop recording shows yesterday so I had to reset it. After 10 minutes, it now seems to be working properly. But I'll never get to see that lost episode of Wheel of Fortune. My evening was ruined.Tongue

Our router is made by Cisco. It has a very good track record over the past 5 years.

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 2:43pm

Post #33 of 54 (213 views)
Shortcut
Good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to go in and add the punctuation if the recipient would be offended by a lack thereof. If I pause long enough between statements, she sometimes knows that I am beginning a new sentence. I have made a bit of a game of Siri's attempts at recognizing some of the things I say and the jabberwocky that she comes up with. Laugh

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 2:47pm

Post #34 of 54 (202 views)
Shortcut
So, [In reply to] Can't Post

you're of THOSE people on the north M (B-T) corridor? I probably drove by your house last weekend and didn't even know it.Wink

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:49pm

Post #35 of 54 (208 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

The beautiful north side, within ear shot of the the Carillion.

imin
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 4:41pm

Post #36 of 54 (218 views)
Shortcut
Mobile/cell phone [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a land line but it is there just so i could get my broadband. It costs more money for me to use it than if i just use my mobile for everything. Also from being at uni i have gotten into the habit of using my mobile rather than anything else to get in touch with people so for me its not big deal.

The landlines i have at parents house is a cordless so its basically like talking on a ten year old mobile so i see it as no difference. The landline i have at my flat has a cord so would be a pain to talk on as you can walk about or anything. Good old wireless Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 10 2012, 6:17pm

Post #37 of 54 (254 views)
Shortcut
I've considered ditching the landline, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to rely on a rechargeable phone during an emergency - I feel better knowing that if there's a disaster, I have a hard-wired home phone to use.

What I don't get is why some people don't switch of their cellphones when they go to bed. One mate complained to me that he keeps getting woken by text messages: I told him to turn his phone off, and he looked at me as if I had a horn growing out of my head. Well at least *I'm* sleeping well!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 10 2012, 6:23pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 6:40pm

Post #38 of 54 (192 views)
Shortcut
I can't use a cell at home [In reply to] Can't Post

because we are in a 'dead' zone. And if the power goes out, which is does sometimes, especially in the winter, the cordless phones are useless. We do have a couple of old phones that plug into a jack, but they only retain power for a few hours. If there's a winter storm that brings down phone lines as well as power lines, we can sometimes be without connectivity for days. Then cell coverage would be useful. But no cell coverage means we can both have the lowest cost plans for our cells. For most long distance calls, I use Skype.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2012, 7:09pm

Post #39 of 54 (212 views)
Shortcut
I had to say cell phone, but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

When we finally got higher speed internet, the only way we could afford it was to get a Verizon cell phone for our house phone for practically nothing per month. So with my mobile, the internet, and now our home phone (which is connected to our old-fashioned phones in the same way) are all on one bill. We had to do this because with dial-up, we could no longer download our virus checker (more than 8 hours to download). I know we are vunerable if we get a long power outage, but we had to make a choice of cell or no internet. Our total bill is just about the same as before and we have higher speed.

We mostly forget we have cell service on the home phones, but during this political season it is wonderful. We just don't answer any call from a number we don't know and they get dumped into voice mail and then I can delete it without having to listen. Not answering has cut down on the number of calls, also. They seem to call you more if you answer!

Misto
Lorien

Oct 10 2012, 8:33pm

Post #40 of 54 (188 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me... [In reply to] Can't Post

... how utterly terribly I am with keeping my cell phone close to me. For somebody my age I just don't care enough.
Oftentimes it's on the other end of the house, or at home while I'm not, or I leave it in the pocket of the barn jacket and never take it out until I want to call somebody... about two days later.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 11:42pm

Post #41 of 54 (177 views)
Shortcut
lol... yes, that 's right // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 11:47pm

Post #42 of 54 (176 views)
Shortcut
dang, I remember party lines [In reply to] Can't Post

One ring is for the neighbor... two is your house. You picked up the phone to see if the neighbors were talking. If not, you could dial out. Phone numbers (in our town) were five digits long with a 'word' before it: Woodward 88810. You called long distance by dialing the operator and telling her the number you wanted dialed.

And - when you called a business, someone picked up the phone and talked to you!!!!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 11:58pm

Post #43 of 54 (199 views)
Shortcut
We never had a party line, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember our prefix was WAL for walnut. Our number was 923-9218. Sometimes I get an overwhelming urge to call it just to see who answers. But I don't.

Oh yeah, another one was Melrose. Long ago times, long ago times.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 11 2012, 1:44am

Post #44 of 54 (171 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

personally I hate all phones.

I have an extremely old cell phone not smart barely intelligent. I use it rarely (and am resisting upgrading because I don't want all the bells and whistles on the newer phones).... .. Few have the number and those who do know not to expect me to answer it because it's usually deep in my purse, thus deep inside my desk at work and off in the study at home. I carry the phone in my pocket only when I'm on a road trip, which is really the only reason I have the phone anyway.

My home phone is the same phone number I've had for 35 years. It's now bundled with my TV/internet connection and can not truly be called a landline in my opinion because when the electricity goes out the damn phone does too. Also if the cable or internet is out so is the phone blast it --which requires me to call the cable company on my cell phone to deal with cable issues.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 2:01am

Post #45 of 54 (193 views)
Shortcut
My phone is not smart either... [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact grand Patty 1 calls it a dinosaur. It's really just for emergencies.

(This post was edited by Patty on Oct 11 2012, 2:03am)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 6:17am

Post #46 of 54 (178 views)
Shortcut
Local calls - landline (usually)/ long distance - cell// [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2012, 7:03am

Post #47 of 54 (164 views)
Shortcut
My dad worries about the radiation, but I'm not convinced [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad thinks that my brain tumor was caused by the fairly regular use of my cell phone when I was living abroad, but my tumor is a very slow growing kind (oligodendroglioma) and has probably been there for years. Besides, my tumor is on my left side, I usually hold my phone on the right. Plus my cell phone use is/was nothing compared to many. I keep telling my dad that there are people who walk around the store, post office, etc. with their phone practically stuck to their heads; they must be on their phones hours a day. I talked maybe twenty minutes a day on average. And since then, much less. If cell phone use were directly tied to tumor growth, I think there would be many, many more tumors than there are.

I didn't see the latest study, but according to many studies, including those by brain tumor groups, the rate of new brain tumors has remained about the same the last twenty years despite the massive increase in cell phone usage. I guess from what you said, the latest study is about radiation from carrying a cell in a pocket, etc all day. I can see the danger in that. I've read that you should avoid sleeping with your head right next to an electric alarm clock. I think people should use caution, always better to be safe than sorry, but I'm not overly worried talking on my cell phone, especially no more than I do..

Important note: Most studies conclude that children and teens should avoid holding cell phones to their heads. But very few kids actually talk on their cell phones anyway.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 7:34am

Post #48 of 54 (177 views)
Shortcut
A red rotary phone [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so jealous right now!
Now that's a real phone.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2012, 2:49pm

Post #49 of 54 (174 views)
Shortcut
yeah, most kids text.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and as long as they aren't also driving, that's fine with me.

My sis was telling me about a woman with whom she worked who, because they weren't allowed to bring purses on the workroom floor, used to carry a cell phone in her bra. She did develop breast cancer. Cause? Who knows. But I am encouraging my granddaughter to keep her turned on phone in her purse and not a jeans pocket. I hope you will do well with your brain tumor. My aunt had one too, that had to be removed earlier this year. It was a very slow growing one, too, but as she is in her 70's it had grown to where she was very symptomatic.

Misto
Lorien

Oct 11 2012, 8:13pm

Post #50 of 54 (137 views)
Shortcut
Another daft phone over here ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine isn't smart either. It's a phone, I use it to call people and write the odd text. I do not need to be able to fly to the moon with it.*shrugs*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.