Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which phone do you use when you are at home?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which phone do you use when you are at home?
Land line
cellular (mobile)
I don't own a land line
I don't own a cellular phone
View Results (44 votes)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 12:23pm

Post #1 of 54 (800 views)
Shortcut
Which phone do you use when you are at home? Can't Post

I've been hearing that many folks don't use land lines anymore. I wonder if that's true?

sador
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 54 (291 views)
Shortcut
Land line, as a rule [In reply to] Can't Post

At the moment though, it needs repairing, so I sometimes use the celleluar.

Misto
Lorien

Oct 10 2012, 12:34pm

Post #3 of 54 (282 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

Depends on who I'm going to call.
Someone's home -> landline.
Someone's cell phone -> my own cell phone.

It's just that the landline has a flatrate on anything but cell phone numbers. So it's actually cheaper to use a cell phone for that.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 54 (299 views)
Shortcut
Um. Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I've been seeing is that people don't want to pay for both (understandably), but I'm wondering if all this talk about possible increased cancer risk is something people pay attention to. I've asked this before, a while back, and I'm wondering if this has changed at all. It was on the news again the other day, with a suggestion that people use the speaker function of their phones and not carry them on their person but in their purse (those that use purses or backpacks.)

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 54 (282 views)
Shortcut
No land line. [In reply to] Can't Post

When we moved to an apartment earlier this year while house-hunting, we didn't mess with a land line. Now that we are in our home, we looked into adding a land line. Mrs. D wanted one because she likes to have a phone that feels like a phone, not an obilisk. However, our service providers (wireless, TV) wanted to charge an additional $40/month - we said no thanks. I know we could use Vonage or some other VOIP vendor, but I am used to no land line and I think there is no turning back for us. Besides, we pay quite a bit for our plan (just got smart phones - Siri is so cool); it seems a waste of money for little to no added benefit.

I do use speaker when at home depending on who I am talking to. Overall for me, I really don't get a bunch of calls anyway. It's usually Mrs. D thanking me for my multitasking skills like listening to her while watching TV or making the bed while running several loads of laundry or vacuuming the entire house as the dinner I have prepared cooks in the oven.

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 1:11pm

Post #6 of 54 (281 views)
Shortcut
Mobile [In reply to] Can't Post

but only because I am at university and don't have a 'phone in my college room. I much prefer to use the landline otherwise.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:15pm

Post #7 of 54 (275 views)
Shortcut
Siri is cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

since the iOS 6 update I have Siri on my iPad. Other than asking her where I can dump a dead body Wink, and asking her the weather I haven't yet gotten much use out of her. Perhaps I would if it were an iPhone. What use do you make of her?

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:18pm

Post #8 of 54 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I can see that a college student would get more use out of cell phones. [In reply to] Can't Post

And your parents? Do they use landlines? I've been watching a lot of "House Hunters" type shows, and when people on these shows receive calls at home they almost always only have cell phones. Mr. Patty only gives out his cell phone number, and leaves it on all the time at home. Me, if I'm at home my cell is turned off.

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 1:24pm

Post #9 of 54 (272 views)
Shortcut
A few things, [In reply to] Can't Post

mainly due to my inability to type well on the iPhone touchscreen keyboard.

- I just tell her to call Mrs. D or anyone else in my contact list.
- Texting - why type when Siri can put all that text together in seconds?
- playing music of my choice, instead of drilling down.
- finding restaurants, etc. depending on where we are. This is a real time saver.

And she is very polite!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:39pm

Post #10 of 54 (285 views)
Shortcut
The grandkids like asking silly questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think Siri has several stock answers to "I love you, Siri". One of these is "I bet you say that to all the Apple products".

How do you get the voice dictation to know when to use a "period" and when to spell out the word "period"...and then to skip two spaces before beginning the next word, which should be capitalized? You can tell I'm a novice.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 1:50pm

Post #11 of 54 (297 views)
Shortcut
Well, we'd dump the land line if my implanted defibrillator didn't need it for checkups. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really annoys me that a company can produce a device that goes inside the human body and can give that human body's heart a jolt of electricity if necessary, but that same company does not have wi fi on that defibrillator's exterior monitor. Crazy Once a week, a little box about the size of an answering machine "interrogates" my defibrillator while I sleep and sends the info to the company. If there has been any weirdness since the last scan, the company then notifies my cardiologist. This little box depends on a land line to send the info. The defibrillator itself can be manipulated wirelessly, so I don't understand why the monitor can't as well.

And because of where we live, our land line number is long distance for my kids' schools, my husband's work, the grandparents who only live 9 miles away, and my brother in law, who only lives about 2 miles away. And our service is mediocre at best, with a low humming background noise most of the time. Mad

So as soon as my stupid defibrillator people make a wi fi connected monitor, which they say they are working on, but I'll believe it when I see it, we'll disconnect the land line.

So back to the poll. I use the cell phone because it doesn't have that low humming background noise.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:50pm

Post #12 of 54 (280 views)
Shortcut
The one tied to the wall [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my only phone although my husband and one of my two sons have cells.

Two of our extensions are cordless - so they're not entirely tied to the wall. But one is the an old princess phone that is tied to the wall and we still have an old rotary dial phone in the house in red like these:
http://www.boldoldphones.com/...one_other_colors.htm

It looks like that sucker is worth some money!

That rotary was in the basement and worked for receiving calls till we got a couple of new cordless phones.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 1:55pm

Post #13 of 54 (279 views)
Shortcut
Does your red phone call the Kremlin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

My mother had the old princess phone in turquoise until we made her get a cordless phone with an answering machine. Which we shouldn't have bothered. She never would learn how to use the answering machine. Crazy

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:57pm

Post #14 of 54 (277 views)
Shortcut
but I"ve heard that land lines are more reliable in large scale emergency situations [In reply to] Can't Post

When the bridge collapsed here, cell phone available collapsed too - I think it had something to do with services being swamped with calls. I can't remember the details but a point was made that, in some situations, land lines are more reliable.

Perhaps that's changed or doesn't pertain to your situation, but it would seem to be an important factor if it does pertain.

But we barely use our landline and it's expensive. So I'm seriously considering dumping it even though I don't own a cell phone at the moment.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:57pm

Post #15 of 54 (266 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Well, I can see you have no choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fortunate and blessed not to need my land line for that problem (bless you, A. E.) but I have to say that when it comes to paying my bills I always opt to use my land line. For some, probably ill-informed reason, I am loathe to use a cell or even a cordless because I'm convinced that hackers or some such boogeyman can't eavesdrop on my personal information when I use a land-line. I know that the cordless phones nowadays are supposed to have scrambled signals, but all of that still worries me, so I pay the ridiculous (and I do mean ridiculous) prices AT& T charges for the landline.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 1:58pm

Post #16 of 54 (255 views)
Shortcut
Best. Laugh. All. Week./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:00pm

Post #17 of 54 (280 views)
Shortcut
haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that red phone!

I dearly wanted to take my grandmother's old phone when she died.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/.../s1600/Old+Phone.jpg

It didn't use a jack. I would have had to cut the cord. And back in the day, you rented or borrowed the phone from the phone company - you didn't own them. This was so old, I figured it might technically be phone company property. And I didn't want to fight my extended family on letting me take out a knife, cut the thing, and take it home.

Instead, I chose a handkerchief and a glass orange juicer for my mementos. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 10 2012, 2:00pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:03pm

Post #18 of 54 (288 views)
Shortcut
Magpie, you of all people should know [In reply to] Can't Post

land lines are more reliable in an emergency--don't forget in Day After Tomorrow when no one's cells were working and Jake Gyllenhall's character went to the payphone to call his parents.Cool

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 2:05pm

Post #19 of 54 (271 views)
Shortcut
That's how my mom's princess phone was. [In reply to] Can't Post

We had to get the phone company out to her house to install a jack. But they let us keep the phone. I think my nephew disassembled it to see its guts. Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:07pm

Post #20 of 54 (246 views)
Shortcut
We are just getting rid of a Western Electric phone that looks somewhat like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

but is touch tone. Also, we are on the hunt for new cordless phones. I remember back when you rented the phones and when they didn't use a jack. I'll bet a lot of folks here are too young to remember that.Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 2:07pm

Post #21 of 54 (275 views)
Shortcut
Yes, land lines do not go out if the electricity goes out. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, you need to have a phone that is not cordless and does not sit in an answering machine. You need the kind that plugs directly into the jack.

But at fifty bucks a month, it's still hard to justify the land line.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 2:11pm

Post #22 of 54 (248 views)
Shortcut
Ya got that right, and mine is even more than that. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's with no long distance.

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 2:11pm

Post #23 of 54 (268 views)
Shortcut
My parents - always landlines [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you, their mobiles are often turned off in the house. I never use my mobile in my 'real' home either.

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 2:13pm

Post #24 of 54 (258 views)
Shortcut
It's supposed to call Batman. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Magpie is married to Commissioner Gordon. Tongue

BTW, I hope your router issues are fixed.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 10 2012, 2:15pm

Post #25 of 54 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, we have the bare minimum on our land line. [In reply to] Can't Post

We use the cell phones to call long distance. But, with today's technology, "long distance" is no longer applicable.

I even tried to get the phone company to give me a discount due to needing the line for my defibrillator, but they only give you a discount if you get other government goodies. Which we don't. Unimpressed

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.