Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Cheesy moments on LOTR
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 10:05pm

Post #1 of 57 (1951 views)
Shortcut
Cheesy moments on LOTR Can't Post

Okay, we all love PJ and his LOTR trilogy. Me, as well. Though I personally think it is rather inferior compared to his "Braindead" and "Meet the Feebles" movies. And as for the LOTR trilogy, I love it DESPITE its cheesy moments, knowing they're there.

But here's my question:
Objectively speaking what moments in the LOTR trilogy would you call cheesy? I mean, cheap, out of line, unfitting the gorgeous rest?

Myself, I have some personal candidates. I'll start with one.

- FOTR, Theatrical Version
The subtitle "The Shire... 60 years later". How cheesy, tv-like is that? Who would ever need such a title - also, it's the only such time-and-place title in the whole trilogy!

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 12:46am

Post #2 of 57 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Funny, but out of place [In reply to] Can't Post

Last summer, I took a class on The Lord of the Rings, and the teacher showed us the Extended Editions. I saw the first 30 minutes of the EE of Fellowship of the Ring. There was a part where Bilbo is greeting the party guests, and a woman with 12 kids shows up, and, well here is how the dialogue went.
Bilbo: Are all these children yours?
Woman: Yes.
Bilbo: My, you've been productive!
It was so funny, but totally out of place. The whole class laughed at that line.

(For the record, I went out of town a few days, and missed some classes, and did not get to see all of the EE. But I plan on getting them myself soon.)

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 1:13am

Post #3 of 57 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's "He was twitching because he's got [In reply to] Can't Post

my axe embedded in his nervous system"

"nervous system" is too "modern" a term for a world like Third Age Middle-earth. That sounded awfully misplaced, like if when Pippin was knocked out by the Palantír someone shouted "give him an aspirin!"

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 3:10am

Post #4 of 57 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf getting all big and bad in Bag End... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what they were going for, and it is in the book, but having Gandalf "seem" like he grew big and powerful in Bag End is the kind of thing that's better read on a page than actually shown on screen. Other "seeming" moments like this (Galadriel's temptation, Frodo in the wraith-world), are done with effects that give the impression that it's more of an altered state kind of thing going on, and not that some wizard just expanded, physically to twice his size. This was a bit too close to "real" for me so it doesn't work as well for me, I guess!

Weaver

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Oct 10 2012, 4:25am

Post #5 of 57 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Emo Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought ROTK got cheesy with Frodo and Sam's interactions at the end...
Often times the comedy was quite cheesy as well.

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 4:37am

Post #6 of 57 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Frodo falling in Mordor.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....It was not handled well, to say the least.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 10 2012, 7:14am

Post #7 of 57 (1113 views)
Shortcut
The 'laughing' scene [In reply to] Can't Post

When Frodo wakes up towards the end of ROTK just does my head in. Every time I see it I find it worse. And the 'laughing' moment when Gandalf first arrives and Frodo leaps into the cart in FOTR I find pretty dreadful too.

Closely followed by the "I made some stew" scene in TTT. Shocker.

Thankfully, the scenes I find moving and beautiful far outweigh the cheese for me.

Sometimes, Peter Jackson's style reminds me of James Cameron. With both these directors, when they get it right, they make magic. But when they get it wrong, I have to cover my eyes. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 8:59am

Post #8 of 57 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Not too out of place [In reply to] Can't Post

Oin is a DIY doctor. He might have learnt it from him?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 10:38am

Post #9 of 57 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Cheesy moments from ROTK SEE [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some really cheesy moments from ROTK SEE. And, the makers must have been aware of their cheesiness, by cutting them out of the theatrical version and even leaving just the good parts of them in the ROTK SEE advertizing trailer.

- Saruman on the spike
- Skull avalanche on Paths of the Dead
- The whole attack on the pirates bit (also because it's redundant and spoils the outcome of the Pelennor battle)
- Aragorn dropping his Evenstar pendant, breaking it.

I really hate seeing most of these scenes. Because of them, the I personally think ROTK SEE is rather inferior to the theatrical version.

Misto
Lorien

Oct 10 2012, 12:28pm

Post #10 of 57 (994 views)
Shortcut
Ouch my head... and again! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When Frodo wakes up towards the end of ROTK just does my head in. Every time I see it I find it worse.

Me too. It's just way too long. I always wonder what drugs they were on.

Also I'm not into the bumping into the ceiling stuff Gandalf does at bag end. Okay, so he once ran into the chandelier that's about okay and somewhat funny. But really I got the point alright. No need to do it again only a few seconds later.Crazy

(This post was edited by Misto on Oct 10 2012, 12:28pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2012, 12:31pm

Post #11 of 57 (974 views)
Shortcut
Your school is awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2012, 12:35pm

Post #12 of 57 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Oh that thing of the skulls [In reply to] Can't Post

I don´t like it, very unnecesary, when I see PJ´S KingKong skull island reminds me all of that, I feel the thought of skull island was on his mind by that time, very deep but arosing, so unnecesarily

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli attacking the pirates, I like Aragorn´s despair when he sees the ships, but the rest is so cheap, I don´t get it...Unsure

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 57 (990 views)
Shortcut
And also Gimli... [In reply to] Can't Post

...pushing Legolas' bow in order to kill the pirate captain. What the hell? What for?

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 3:47pm

Post #14 of 57 (1004 views)
Shortcut
the worst ones for me are, [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Eowyns stew. A shieldmaiden would never make stew, ever,
2. yup, gimli and 'the nervous system'.
3. Escaping kids from a Rohirrim village, cheesy stinky cheese.
4. Eowyns 'song', boy that made me cringe.

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 4:05pm

Post #15 of 57 (988 views)
Shortcut
One person's cheese [In reply to] Can't Post

is another person's fungus I guess.

• In Imladris, when Elrond dubs the fellowship "The Fellowship of the Ring" and they are all lined up perfect for picture day (it's not so much Elrond as it is the way everyone is lined up just-so ... in my experience that never happens naturally and is always the result of an extended shuffling and shifting about of positions and poses and never just a spontaneous thing that emerges - I was really waiting for someone to pull out a polaroid at any minute)
  • Frodo waking up in the room of white light with everyone jumping around, smiling, and laughing dubiously

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 8:15pm

Post #16 of 57 (915 views)
Shortcut
you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

nobody said, ''Say Cheese!'' Sly

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Oct 11 2012, 12:21am

Post #17 of 57 (960 views)
Shortcut
But for the EEs... [In reply to] Can't Post

As a downtrodden advocate for the Theatrical Release versions of the trilogy, I could not help but notice how many of the preceding responses identified scenes that are only in the EEs. Unsure

I think my definition of cheesy is probably off, but the scene that comes to mind for me is the severed heads of Faramir's company coming over the wall. Gothmog says "Release the prisoners!" and the grisly missiles are catapulted from almost a mile away. Then a skyward shot shows them falling over the wall with a velocity that clearly indicates some dudes just on the other side of that wall chucked them over. Why, oh why even show the inbound heads?

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 1:13am

Post #18 of 57 (934 views)
Shortcut
It's been years since I saw the theatre versions [In reply to] Can't Post

You raise an interesting point. There are definitely additional scenes in the EE's which I don't like, and actually skip on occasion.
Some scenes which were added to the EE's I do like. I liked having more Faramir and Boromir, and their family relationship baggage, as an example.

As far as the severed heads go, when the orc with the extra attached head shouts 'Catapaults!', I laugh out loud every time. I'm not sure why I find it so funny, but I always look forward to it. Same with "Hands off that shiny shirt".

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 3:16am

Post #19 of 57 (925 views)
Shortcut
You are not alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I vastly prefer the Theatrical versions over the EE's -- the TE's are the only ones I ever watch, and I tend to treat the EE additions as I do the Appendices in the books, interesting as supplemental info, but not part of the main story.

Maybe we should we start a club! Smile

Weaver

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 11 2012, 4:02pm

Post #20 of 57 (912 views)
Shortcut
It's his delivery [In reply to] Can't Post

I also laugh at that one. Maybe it's something about how loud and piercing and rather high pitched it is or how gleefully he seems to yell the word. It's just great - I don't know if we're supposed to laugh, but I do.

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 11 2012, 4:38pm

Post #21 of 57 (931 views)
Shortcut
I've always found Gandalf bumping his head hilarious.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....and it actually works to humanize him as a character.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 11 2012, 6:51pm

Post #22 of 57 (841 views)
Shortcut
Oh goody, another fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Shall we start an appreciation club? Cool

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 8:29am

Post #23 of 57 (829 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the Theatrical version of TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pacing and storytelling was excellent. But I prefer the EE of Fellowship, and there's a lot of stuff I like more in the EE of RoTK.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 12 2012, 8:32am

Post #24 of 57 (903 views)
Shortcut
Denethor's flaming leap [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like Denethor's death scene at all, I think PJ changed it to running and leaping off the edge of the rock partly so he could do a big wide shot of the battle. Yes it was cinematic and cool looking, but a huge departure from the book. I would have loved to have seen that scene more closely to what was described in the book.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Oct 12 2012, 3:13pm

Post #25 of 57 (821 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn's stew scene [In reply to] Can't Post

And Saruman on a spike.
And those bloody skulls in the Paths of the Dead.

I like most of the EE-only scenes, and many of them add a lot to the story, but I wish those three (and Gandalf's staff being broken) hadn't been included.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.