Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Move up gramma and dernwyn! Room for one more!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 9:14am

Post #1 of 75 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Move up gramma and dernwyn! Room for one more! Can't Post

And with this post I ascend into immortality! Muahaha! Laugh

So what added perks does posting 10000 times get me then? The password to the secret ďimmortal boardĒ where all the cool people hang out? Part of the forum named after myself (DanielLB's Nonsense Board has a ring to it)? A special throne to sit on and zap NfB posts when they go astray? No? None of them? Hey, Iíll settle for free premiere tickets for all three Hobbit films. Iíll send you my address admins. (Itís worth a shot, isnít it?!) Tongue

Having now posted 10000 times, I can only imagine what some of you are thinking at the moment ... And I dread to think how many people roll their eyes when they check their e-mails in the morning to see:

DanielLB has replied to your post in the ....

*DELETE!*

But really, Iíd like to thank every single one of you. When I first joined TORn, I hardly ever posted Ė lurking in the shadows and occasionally popping my head out. The more time I spent on here, the more I realised what a special community this place is. Everyone should be proud of this place. Every single user, from the mods and admins, to the regulars, to the not so regulars, and to the people that have only just joined this week - you all make this place such a great place to ďhang outĒ. Some people might wonder why Iím on here every day, and the simple reason is because I enjoy it. I enjoy it because of all you guys. Itís all of your views, opinions and speculation that keep me coming back everyday ... well ... and the spoilers of course. It sure is exciting speculating with everyone about the upcoming films, and of course, talking to you all about the one person we love, Tolkien. Hugs and handshakes to everyone. Youíre all great, and thanks for getting me to immortality! Smile

So, Iíd like to raise a glass of miruvor to TORn *cheers and claps*. Iíd also like to raise a glass to all the volunteers across the site, especially the admins and mods of the forum *claps and cheers*. And obviously, I would like to raise a glass to myself, for reaching immortality *woop woop*!

Now that I have your attention, Iíd like to make a very special announcement....

Iím leaving the forum.

Those that are cheering, you can stop now please. Tongue

DanielLB was actually a disguise. I am, in fact, Peter Jackson, and this has all been an experiment. I have been posting on here to get all your views and opinions ..... Nah ... Iím only joking! Did I fool anyone though?

I will be leaving the forums, but not quite yet, and only for a month or so! The reason ... Iím off to South Georgia!

ďWhere?!Ē I hear you ask. No, Iím not going to that state in America, nor the country in the Middle East. Iím going to the remote and isolated island of South Georgia.

As some of you already know, Iím currently studying for my PhD at the British Antarctic Survey in the UK. My research is looking at airflow over the island of South Georgia, and how increasing wind speeds in the Southern Ocean are leading to dramatic climate change on the island. Some of you may know South Georgia as the place where the Falklandís War begun (in 1982), or from the BBC programme Frozen Planet.

---Boring bit----

As a very brief background of my research, wind speeds in the Southern Hemisphere (which blow around the Antarctic continent) have increased within the last 50 years or so. These increased wind speeds can then develop strong fŲhn winds, causing the island to warm. This has huge implications since the island is so ecologically important. Itís incredibly rich in life, and is one of the most biologically important islands in the entire Southern Hemisphere. This is because it plays a vital role in supporting vast colonies of both marine and terrestrial animals. Understanding the causes of regional climate change on the island is, therefore, of utmost importance. And I really hope my research can make a difference, and tell us something about regional scale climate change.

---End of boring bit---

That is a very, very, very brief summary of what I do, and why I am doing it (thereís a lot more to it, honest!) Iím super excited about my upcoming trip, so I just had to share. Iíll be going to South Georgia for a month or so in January 2013. And this is what Iíll be waking up to every morning:

Penguins!
Stunning scenery
Snow and glaciers
More stunning scenery
Seals and penguins
Icebergs

Iíll will be keeping everyone up to date (if anyoneís interested, that is). There will a big push to get a lot of public attention, so we will be setting up a Twitter account (etc.) so you can watch us release weather balloons, fly UAVs, take observations, etc. on the island. Iíll be uploading plenty of pictures when Iím back, and Iím sure Iíll have plenty of stories to tell.

So yes, exciting times! Sorry for the self-indulgent post, but I thought immortality and my upcmong trip deserved a joint celebration!

Anyway, this thread was only supposed to be short (I'll be impressed if anyone has read to the bottom Wink)!

*Hands out free glasses of miruvor and honey-cake!* Let's celebrate!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 9:26am

Post #2 of 75 (593 views)
Shortcut
You'd better be impressed, [In reply to] Can't Post

because I did read the whole thing.
Congratulations on the achievement. Come to think of it, you look...different. Wink

How amazing to be going to South Georgia! Your research is very interesting to me, and it's certainly important.
Actually, I will come out right now and admit to being a total Antarctic geek. Cool
You might be interested to know that Christchurch NZ, where I live, has very strong current and historic Antarctic connections.
We are currently enjoying Icefest, a celebration of all things Antarctic.

I will definitely be looking forward to hearing about your adventures, and seeing your photos.

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 9:44am

Post #3 of 75 (542 views)
Shortcut
We'll miss you [In reply to] Can't Post

but what a great opportunity for you to do such important work! I look forward to reading your reports.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 10:01am

Post #4 of 75 (554 views)
Shortcut
Woop! Another Antarctic geek! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're ever in the UK, I can try and smuggle you in to show you around the British Antarctic Survey! Cool That's if we're still around, that is. A massive merger, a possible re-location may be on the cards for us. Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 10:03am

Post #5 of 75 (554 views)
Shortcut
Thank you sherlock :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm super excited and just want to get going! I'm quite lucky really. When I started my PhD, my superviser said straight away I couldn't go. But luckily we've been able to get some funding! Cool

The thought of going does get me through the long boring days of staring at a computer screen all day.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2012, 11:42am

Post #6 of 75 (599 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see a new face around here - please feel free to stick around and share your thoughts on all things Tolkien with us!

Notta

Wink

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:12pm

Post #7 of 75 (541 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, DanielLB. I knew it wouldn't be long! [In reply to] Can't Post

How's the air up there?

Permanent address: Into the West

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2012, 12:31pm

Post #8 of 75 (540 views)
Shortcut
The key to the executive washroom? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, not quite! Laugh Congrats on the new status!

And the trip to South Georgia sounds fascinating, no, really! Doing field studies, especially as far afield as there, is so superior to sitting at a desk. You bet we'll be wanting pics and stories!

I actually did get a bit concerned when you said you were taking off for a month, but that's going to be after The Hobbit is released, so that's okay! At least you'll be able to get in on the earliest discussions! Smile

Let's see...I think Immortals are able to obtain the fur-lined clothing necessary for wandering around the Helcaraxe...Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:48pm

Post #9 of 75 (543 views)
Shortcut
But I think only you and Gramma could have Eru status... [In reply to] Can't Post

if there were one.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:51pm

Post #10 of 75 (495 views)
Shortcut
Thanks dernwyn :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did nearly end up going in December, but luckily I shouldn't miss any action. I joked with my family and friends that I wouldn't go if I couldn't see The Hobbit. Wink They all looked astonished until I told them I was joking! I'll be taking plenty of Tolkien books with me instead. Cool

TORn affiliated clothing would be awesome! If only Gandalf was still doing his World Tour - riding an Elephant Seal would make for an excellent picture. Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:53pm

Post #11 of 75 (518 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! I think there should be more levels. [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel a bit inadequate this high up next to gramma and dernwyn. And it looks like Magpie will join soon as well! Cool

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 9 2012, 12:57pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:55pm

Post #12 of 75 (493 views)
Shortcut
I did have it as a goal ... [In reply to] Can't Post

to be immortal by the premiere of the first movie, but real life has firmly set in.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:11pm

Post #13 of 75 (580 views)
Shortcut
I can provide some inspirational music! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you'll have to spam like crazy! 18 posts a day should do it. Sly

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:13pm

Post #14 of 75 (511 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could just reply to all of your posts. Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:23pm

Post #15 of 75 (534 views)
Shortcut
If it helps you get to immortality, then it works for me! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The toilets are made of gold up here. I've also heard there's an endless supply of cake ... I haven't found any yet. Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:24pm

Post #16 of 75 (476 views)
Shortcut
If there is an endless supply of K &C, then I'm on it./ [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:28pm

Post #17 of 75 (526 views)
Shortcut
There's no limit on the Immortal credit card! Your drink(s) await you! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 1:36pm

Post #18 of 75 (501 views)
Shortcut
No, no more levels! The admins would probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

make it 10,000 posts from the Immortal status, and I should NEVER get there. The distance between Half-elven and Immortal is hard enough.Mad

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 9 2012, 2:03pm

Post #19 of 75 (531 views)
Shortcut
Woot! Congratulations on both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you going to have a blog so we can see what you're up to?

Pack your fur-lined undies and don't forget your pocket handkerchief!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 2:09pm

Post #20 of 75 (495 views)
Shortcut
*skootches over on bench* Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the realm of IMMORTALITY! Or... as some would say... the "GET A LIFE" Club! :D WOOHOO!!!

Here's to you and the wonderfulness of yourself! This is GREAT!

I'm SO IMPRESSED with your research and plans for some serious study! I admit I don't like the cold, but S. Georgia looks incredible! So magnificent! Beautiful! A whole month in January... *shiver* but what an incredible adventure.

The winds have changed here in the US, too. El NiŮo and La NiŮa have been affecting our weather and crops for years now. So I'm sure your study will really have an impact on the global interest and not just that area.

How wonderful! Thank you so much... and good luck... and WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 2:21pm

Post #21 of 75 (563 views)
Shortcut
*whispers* uh... dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I lost the keys last year. Don't tell anyone ....

*slinks away*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 2:23pm

Post #22 of 75 (492 views)
Shortcut
You'd be surprised! [In reply to] Can't Post

See... you're already one post closer to IMMORTALITY!

;)

I had no idea where I was going when I arrived, then couldn't believe I got there when I did!

*re-reads*

Yeah... that's right...

sample

Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 2:23pm

Post #23 of 75 (488 views)
Shortcut
Applause! Applause! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, Daniel! I hope you look down upon us mortals from your lofty perch and do NOT smite us with thunderbolts. Tongue

And you're off to Antarctica? Wow, even cooler! I hope you can stay in touch and send more photos of that stunning scenery---and that your research goes as well as your career here at TORn. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:20pm

Post #24 of 75 (493 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been tempted to set up a blog, but there is a very limited internet connection on the island - something like 1/10th of the normal internet bandwidth. I will be putting all pictures somewhere though. I might even get enough of a connection to post here on TORn. Cool

As Bilbo would say: "I'm going on an adventure!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:24pm

Post #25 of 75 (499 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed it shouldn't be *too* cold [In reply to] Can't Post

It is summer, but the average January temperature is around 10degC (my perfect temperature Wink) . Foehn winds can push that up to 25degC, which is pretty astonishing!

I'm proud to be joining the "get a life" club! Cool Only the very dedicated reach it!

Thanks for your kind words gramma. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.