Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ending of the three films
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gusev8
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 9:49am

Post #1 of 48 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Ending of the three films Can't Post

I'd like to know how you guys would want all three films to end. What do you want them to show? Gollum, Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, Dwarves going to Moria, Sauron, Building of Morgoth, Saruman ?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 9:57am

Post #2 of 48 (962 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how Morgoth could be fitted in [In reply to] Can't Post

I want There and Back Again to end as it does in the book: with Gandalf and Balin arriving at Bag End. I can use my imagination for everything in between TABA and FOTR. We don't need to be shown Gollum leaving the Misty Mountains, Balin heading off for Moria, or Sauron growing in strength. If the bridge film was still around, I'd fully expect that content to be covered. I don't really want a forced bridge ending. I want Gandalf, Balin and Bilbo to reflect.

What do you think should be the ending? Smile

Since the rights are avaiable, who reckons we will get an announcement of a new Middle-earth film in 2015 after the release of TABA - [/said in very deep movie announcement voice]coming 2017 "The Quest of Moria" featuring Balin, Ori, and Oin, with their friends Floi, Frar, Nali and Loni?[/obviously]

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 9 2012, 10:05am)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 10:13am

Post #3 of 48 (926 views)
Shortcut
Building of Morgoth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite sure how you'd go about "building" a dark lord who's been banished since the First Age. It's not as if he's a tower of doom, like oh I dunno, Barad-dur or anything.

* crunch *

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 11:04am

Post #4 of 48 (804 views)
Shortcut
I assume Gusev8 is probably referring to the construction of Barad Dr... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and has got the names Morgoth and Mordor mixed up.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 11:10am

Post #5 of 48 (757 views)
Shortcut
Yes I got that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is why I said Barad-dur in my reply.

* crunch *

Gusev8
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 11:49am

Post #6 of 48 (704 views)
Shortcut
That is what I meant, but no wishes for the endings? // [In reply to] Can't Post

stoutfiles
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 11:52am

Post #7 of 48 (772 views)
Shortcut
I see you're a fan of the Episode III ending [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=491848;guest=43430458#491848

The Preciousss
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 12:42pm

Post #8 of 48 (688 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if each film will [In reply to] Can't Post

begin and end with Bilbo telling his tale to Frodo, or if they will only appear at the beginning of AUJ and the end of TABA? If they bookend each film, I guess they will have to film some pickups because we have a trilogy now...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 12:43pm

Post #9 of 48 (680 views)
Shortcut
Probably uncessecary to bookend each film with Old Bilbo and Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be 6 scenes - not entirely sure what they would say! Wink

stoutfiles
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 12:54pm

Post #10 of 48 (678 views)
Shortcut
They could always interrupt the film constantly [In reply to] Can't Post

Going back to Frodo and old Bilbo reading the story and talking about it (oh I really hope not).

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 1:38pm

Post #11 of 48 (653 views)
Shortcut
They could superimpose the shadows of Bilbo and Frodo on the screen [In reply to] Can't Post

and they could make comments all the way through the movie...

I vote for keeping the ending from the book. There is no point in showing Balin going to Moria or any other nonsense.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2012, 1:40pm

Post #12 of 48 (612 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully just the beginning and the end of the tale... [In reply to] Can't Post

They filmed those scenes before the three film announcement, so there's hope :D

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 2:20pm

Post #13 of 48 (610 views)
Shortcut
Balin's visit would be perfect... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But it would also be kinda cool to see his expedition to Moria or Gollum. But I think it will end with Fellowship's beggining, i.e after seeing Balin and Co go to Moria, we go back to the shire, Bilbo has finished reading the tales to Frodo, who takes the book outside and perches himslef against a tree, he looks up and smiles as he hears a familair voice...

It's not something I would necesarily want (I think the less frodo the better-Its Bilbo's story), but it would be a neat way of tying the films together, and would clear up the whole Bilbo/Frodo faming sequence (given how Frodo's parents were supoosedly cast I'm not entirely sure when the framing takes place...) for veiwers.

As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said All is now ready.

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

comandantedavid
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 2:58pm

Post #14 of 48 (567 views)
Shortcut
Some small reference to Balin's departure for Moria... [In reply to] Can't Post

... seems both appropriate and necessary. Otherwise, the Moria setup in FOTR becomes more a non sequiter than it already is. "My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome." Wait, Balin's in Moria? Or, if you're a casual fan less familiar with the source material, Moria is the Lonely Mountain? Why is Balin in this place, and why is Gimli surprised it's overrun with orcs, but Gandalf isn't?

I can see two ways for this to work:

1) A reflective moment with Gandalf, Bilbo, and Balin after the Bo5A. Bilbo or Gandalf asks Balin what is in store for his people now, or whether they have achieved what they wanted, whether it was worth it, etc. Balin speaks wistfully about reclaiming Khazad-Dum - a hint of insatiable Dwarvish desire and of things to come. A brief shadow of concern across Gandalf's face would suffice as a response.

2) A visit from Balin during Frodo/Bilbo flashback, at the end. Balin and Bilbo can share a smoke outside, (maybe Ted Sandyman can walk by and give the unsavory visitor a disapproving look? Haha!) and have a conversation much like the one I've just described. I don't like this as much (too many endings, man!), but I think it could work.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 3:10pm

Post #15 of 48 (542 views)
Shortcut
Although Balin didn't go off for years after the events of TH [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can see two ways for this to work:

1) A reflective moment with Gandalf, Bilbo, and Balin after the Bo5A. Bilbo or Gandalf asks Balin what is in store for his people now, or whether they have achieved what they wanted, whether it was worth it, etc. Balin speaks wistfully about reclaiming Khazad-Dum - a hint of insatiable Dwarvish desire and of things to come. A brief shadow of concern across Gandalf's face would suffice as a response.

I think this is the most appropriate way of setting up. Balin will suggest rounding up some Dwarves to re-take Morie after their success in Erebor. Perhaps even asking if Bilbo wants to come along. Bilbo declines, and Gandalf warns him.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 3:29pm

Post #16 of 48 (562 views)
Shortcut
What's ironic about this situation... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that according to Balin's character description, he will be portrayed as a skeptic of the Erebor quest. By the end, he must be convinced enough of the feasibility of such reclamations to consider his own Moria mission. But when it comes down to it, both Thorin and Balin are killed as a result.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 5:08pm

Post #17 of 48 (478 views)
Shortcut
I've been palnning to put up a small audio video [In reply to] Can't Post

Of how I think people would love TABA to end, mainly for the framing story to be wrapped up (much in the fashion of how Bilbo's telling of Hobbits from FotR would be wrapped up) and then sliding neatly into the final scene of The Hobbit. I think it would please everyone! Smile

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 5:23pm

Post #18 of 48 (440 views)
Shortcut
Same as in the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Though I have a suggestion for ONE of the last scenes.

Bilbo is confronted with Drogo's death, and is asked to take in Frodo. He is reluctant at first, but when the Sackville-Bagginses try to adopt him he decides to take him (almost a mirror of his reaction to going on an adventure at the beginning of AUJ).

I think it would be a nice touch.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 5:26pm

Post #19 of 48 (441 views)
Shortcut
Not as he returns from Erebor though? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was 20 odd years after?

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 5:36pm

Post #20 of 48 (467 views)
Shortcut
It will end with Frodo sitting against the tree, reading [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps prior to this we get a Gandalf or Bilbo voiceover, with a few shots of what the characters are doing - Balin and crew entering Moria, Gollum on the move etc.

comandantedavid
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 6:54pm

Post #21 of 48 (400 views)
Shortcut
Yes DanielB [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that Balin doesn't set off for several years is why I think a somewhat subtle hint about his desire would suffice. We don't need to see him round up Ori, Oin, and the gang. If we have an inkling that he plans to do it, PJ can leave unspecific the exact timeline between Hobbit and LOTR.

I wouldn't object to seeing more preparation for the journey, but in that case I think my preference would be for a scene with Ian Holm's Bilbo, at the end of the framing story.

In fact, it just now occurs to me that a visit from Balin on his way to Moria could help set up Bilbo's reawakened sense of adventure in FOTR...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2012, 7:12pm

Post #22 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
That could be the link ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien never says what year Gandalf and Balin came to visit. Balin sets off in the same year as Bilbo adopts Frodo ...

Perhaps Gandalf and Balin visit just as Balin is about to set off for Moria. Balin asks Bilbo to join, but has to decline, because of newly adopted Frodo ...

You heard it here first!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 9 2012, 10:00pm

Post #23 of 48 (341 views)
Shortcut
maybe There and back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

could end with a many years later scene. Its many years after the adventure with the Dragon, Bilbo is happily pottering around Bagend taking his third breakfast, his young nephew Frodo is in the garden tending some weeds with Sam, when he hears a familiar knock on the door. He goes to the door and Gandalf and Balin stand there. For one horrible moment Bilbo thinks Gandalf needs his services as a 'thief' once again, but Balin says not to worry he is just passing through and is on his way to Moria... he tells Bilbo that if ever he visits he would be most welcome and given a royal welcome........

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Oct 9 2012, 10:02pm)

thoon
Bree

Oct 9 2012, 11:21pm

Post #24 of 48 (314 views)
Shortcut
A more extensive epilogue? [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending to the Hobbit trilogy perplexes me because it raises a particular question: will The Hobbit films deal with the War in the North? My answer changes with the tide, as I think it's both unnecessary yet incredibly essential.

The events of the War in the North are not essential segments to the Hobbit trilogy. The storyline wraps up very neatly and could easily end at Bag End. But the Hobbit trilogy is only a part of a whole. If you consider the lengths they've gone to in setting up Sauron's return, the idea of including bits about the WitN don't seem so far fetched.

If they don't give an overview of what happens, the Hobbit trilogy will spawn a lot of questions in later LotR viewings. Where are the Dwarves of Erebor, the men of Dale, and the Elves of Mirkwood in all of this? What about Beorn? Why did none of these faction aid in the incredibly important war(s) in the south? Of course, there's a very nice scene between Gimli and Legolas that answer this, stating that war already marches on their homelands, and it could stand as the answer if none other is provided.

The primary issue I see arising with including a bit about the WitN is that of sequential continuity. If the Hobbit trilogy is meant to be viewed before LotR, then it doesn't make much sense to spoil the ending. However, the fact that these films are coming out after moviegoers experienced the ultimate conclusion to Tolkien's saga, I think spoilers can be accepted. But does the sequential continuity of the films differ from that of their releases? The story may end on the day of Bilbo's party, making a flash forward to the war illogical. Yet, the writing of the Red Book (which frames the story) doesn't end with Bilbo's departure. The framing scenes may extend out of the Shire.

But no matter where I imagine placing it, an epilogue of the WitN just seems awkwardly shoe-horned in. I feel it's necessary, but it shouldn't detract from telling the story. I'm beginning to get an idea of what it must have felt like writing the prologue for FotR. I really, really have tremendous respect for what they managed to do there, and I have faith that they'll find another brilliant way of wrapping things up. But by Eru, I don't envy them!

(This post was edited by thoon on Oct 9 2012, 11:24pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2012, 11:59pm

Post #25 of 48 (296 views)
Shortcut
I would actually rather see it as a stand alone film [In reply to] Can't Post

That way it's easier to just ignore it if it's a total failure Cool
And if it's good, more middle earth films Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.