Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New Zealand's Hobbit Trail

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 2:36pm

Post #1 of 13 (672 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand's Hobbit Trail Can't Post

Here's an article in the New York Times about NZ's Hobbit Trail, with a very nice video and a slide show as well. Boy, was I feeling nostalgic!

Link here

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 13 (216 views)
Shortcut
Lily.. link didn't work. .says too many redirects?/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 6 2012, 4:12pm

Post #3 of 13 (295 views)
Shortcut
Try this link and see if it helps [In reply to] Can't Post

http://travel.nytimes.com/...ds-hobbit-trail.html

There was some extra code at the end of Lily's link that wasn't necessary to find the article.

But I got to the page following her link and from what I can read on the web, 'too many redirects' is a computer issue on your end.

You can also try doing a google search for 'New Zealand's Hobbit Trail'. When I do that, the NYT article is the first result. If you get the same result, click on that.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 13 (264 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

The NYT can be a bit picky with their links. For one thing, after you read so many articles they want you to subscribe.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 6 2012, 7:03pm

Post #5 of 13 (222 views)
Shortcut
I thought that might be it [In reply to] Can't Post

but a search of the term 'too many redirects' didn't seem to indicate that it stemmed with the site. It seems to be a computer related issue - or possibly browser. The explanations and possible fixes were above my knowledge level, unfortunately. And it didn't look like there was one easy fix.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 6 2012, 8:07pm

Post #6 of 13 (207 views)
Shortcut
Where did they get [In reply to] Can't Post

that pronunciation of Matamata? 'Cause that ain't it.

If anyone's wondering, the correct pronunciation has all of the As pronounced as the A in 'far'. (Although many Kiwis flatten the first and third A.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 8:21pm

Post #7 of 13 (191 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering that too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 6 2012, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 13 (218 views)
Shortcut
Did you read the notes at the end? [In reply to] Can't Post

This made me laugh out loud:

We found hopping on domestic flights to be shockingly easy. For our flight from Queenstown to Wellington, for instance, there was no security screening or gate announcement. An airport employee simply appeared while we milled around the central waiting area and said, ďAll right then, anyone whoís going to Wellington, get on. That door.Ē

That's never happened to me, but I can see it happening!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 13 (232 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I saw that, and I laughed, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've only flown internationally from Auckland and Wellington, not inside the country, so we never had that pleasure. In fact, when we were leaving Auckland last December I didn't think we were going to get a couple of souvenirs from Weta through security--- one of them was a miniature Elvish shield from the FotR prologue, whose spiky edge probably looked very odd on the x-ray.

When we pulled them out of our bag, though, the security guy took one look, said in weary tones, "Oh. Lord of the Rings." After checking to make sure that's all they were, Weta souvenirs, we were fine.

We wondered how many LotR toys and knickknacks he encountered in the course of a working day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2012, 2:55am

Post #10 of 13 (181 views)
Shortcut
Go Team Magpie and Lily F!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great find! I've GOT TO GET THERE!!! *shiver* so great... so wonderful!

THANKS!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 7 2012, 8:16am

Post #11 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
Thank you also! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just so teary eyed seeing the Shire.
Someday I'll get to spread Goldberry's
Ashes there.

Xoxo Bomby

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2012, 8:50am

Post #12 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
I've never been to New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

- but me and mrs g. have been to Aussie a few times, to see relatives and all that. One time, we took a flight from Sydney to Proserpine in Queensland. We wanted to go to Airlie Beach; gateway to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef. After a few hourd flight I remember looking down at mile upon mile of scrub, and wondering why the aircraft was preparing to land in what looked like the middle of nowhere. The airport wasn't much more than a single runway and a solitary building. (that was in the late '70s, mind - things have prob'ly changed quite a bit since then). Smile

We walked down the steps from the plane and over to the building - everyone else on the flight seemed to have transport arranged for them; we saw no taxis. I asked a bloke how we would get to Airlie beach, and he grinned, 'Oh, Jim's going there - he'll give you a lift'. So we piled our bags into the back of Jim's ute, and off we went through the scrub, then canefields; Proserpine passed in a blink of an eye, and then there we were at Airlie Beach, looking out at the Pacific with the Islands in the distance. Perfect!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 7 2012, 6:38pm

Post #13 of 13 (308 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take tinpot airports over large ones every time. Love the small communities where people just pitch in to help out strangers as a matter of course. :)

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.