Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Probably a question asked many times before but just who was the 'eldest' in Middle earth by the third age?

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 6 2012, 1:36pm

Post #1 of 7 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Probably a question asked many times before but just who was the 'eldest' in Middle earth by the third age? Can't Post

I know Tom Bombadil seems to be a maia so would be the eldest, but there's also treebeard 'oldest who still walks beneath the sun'-according to gandalf- and gandalf knew of both of them.

Gandalf seemed never to journey to the east where the Avari and four of the houses of the dwarves dwelt, so is possible this quote only refers to the areas he knows?. Although I doubt any elves of the awakening were still around ( very unlikely but possibly Cirdan-although contradicting Treebeard) The Dwarven fathers initially awoke before even the elves, so technically wouldn't they be older? Wasn't Durin supossed to be reincaranted again in the Fourth Age, he's technically the same person so wouldn't his 'spirit' be the same as the one initially created?

Then there's the Balrog- he's a sentient being and weren't the first balrog's created before the elves? The balrog of Moria could easily be that old...

Random I know but I can't help but wonder...

What do you think? Has anyone ever explored this in detail?

Thre's several different answers given here:

http://stason.org/...e-earth-Tolkien.html

Hmmm...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 7 (826 views)
Shortcut
I think you have to narrow it down by race and class [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldest being of any kind....hard to say but as you noted there are several candidates. Bombadil remains a mystery (intentionally it seems).
The Ents...Treebeard...are quite old.
It is not clear to me if the istari and maia were of the same created age or not. Sauron could be theoretically older than Gandalf or Saruman etc

Eldest elf? Cirdan would be my guess.
Eldest man? One of the rangers, not sure if any were older than Aragorn.
Eldest evil? It is not clear, as many were in existence at the same time in the very beginning as follower of Morgoth.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 7 2012, 10:12pm

Post #3 of 7 (784 views)
Shortcut
i always get [In reply to] Can't Post

confused between whether Bombadil or Treebeard is the oldest.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Oct 8 2012, 6:24pm

Post #4 of 7 (687 views)
Shortcut
What about Sauron ? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's at least the eldest ex eaquo with Bombadil, he's here since the very beginning, before the first age

(This post was edited by Fàfnir on Oct 8 2012, 6:25pm)

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 9 2012, 3:01am

Post #5 of 7 (675 views)
Shortcut
Depending on how you interpret it [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil could have been there before any of the Ainur arrived in the world (he says that he was there at the beginning, "before the Dark Lord came from Outside.")

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Stronghold
The Shire

Oct 9 2012, 1:46pm

Post #6 of 7 (696 views)
Shortcut
Older than he... [In reply to] Can't Post

"There I saw things gnawing at the Earth. Sauron knows not of them for they are older than he..." - Gandalf the White re: fighting the Balrog

I think M-E is full of old stuff left over from the days of creation actually. Bombadil is probably a spirit of the original forests and the Ents some trees or whatever infested with spirits from beyond... maybe, we really dont' know but there are things older than Elves, to be sure!

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 8:31am

Post #7 of 7 (949 views)
Shortcut
Treebeard [In reply to] Can't Post

While he is obviously very old, and quite possibly the oldest of his own kin, I do not think he is as old as any of the ainur. Wasn't it only after Aule had created the dwarves that the appearance of the Tree Herders was foretold?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.