Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I Sold My Book After All!!

Malveth
Rivendell

Oct 6 2012, 1:42am

Post #1 of 20 (402 views)
Shortcut
I Sold My Book After All!! Can't Post

Some of you might remember the trials and travails of my novel "Carrot Field" (think The Wind In The Willows meets The Lord of the Rings with a touch of Philip Pullman) which I've been working on for nearly 20 years and has had all sorts of misadventures in the publishing world. Last year my agent took it to the market again, and although many editors tried to acquire it, the publishers all got cold feet and it remained unsold.

Well, my agent's diligence finally paid off: a small publisher has acquired the book!! They really seem to understand and appreciate the quality of CF and the mountains of work that have gone into it and they also understand its potential.

If anyone wants more info, PM me. But I just thought I'd share the good news.

(This post was edited by Malveth on Oct 6 2012, 1:43am)

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 6 2012, 1:46am

Post #2 of 20 (186 views)
Shortcut
Any links [In reply to] Can't Post

to more info about your book?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 6 2012, 2:14am

Post #3 of 20 (169 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, Malveth. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Malveth
Rivendell

Oct 6 2012, 2:35am

Post #4 of 20 (176 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not allowed to post links here since it would be selling something. But once it is available I'll let anyone who's interested know via PM how to obtain it.

Thank you for taking an interest :)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 6 2012, 3:32am

Post #5 of 20 (195 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! Yes, I'd love to know when it's available. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a suitable Party (but that you don't disappear in the middle of it!Shocked)Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 6 2012, 2:29pm

Post #6 of 20 (140 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good for you, never giving up on it. Just a word of warning from another author---make sure you do NOT sign away electronic rights.

Malveth
Rivendell

Oct 6 2012, 11:43pm

Post #7 of 20 (148 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Digital-rights: this is something I've talked to my agent about a lot. He's very much on top of it. He's very dismayed that so many authors are being suckered out of what will be their major source of revenue in the near future. So we're definitely aware of it :)

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 7 2012, 12:35pm

Post #8 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations!! [In reply to] Can't Post

How inspiring! All the years of work and persistence paid off. That is absolutely wonderful, you must be walking on air. Congratulations again and I hope it's a big seller!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2012, 1:04pm

Post #9 of 20 (100 views)
Shortcut
Oh Well Done! Congratulations :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 7 2012, 4:00pm

Post #10 of 20 (118 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news, Malveth [In reply to] Can't Post

What great news for you. Congrats! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2012, 7:23pm

Post #11 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

And your agent is a true "keeper"! Best of luck with where it goes from here! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 7 2012, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 20 (108 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, many authors are making more from their digital editions than their paper editions these days.

kareniel
Lorien

Oct 8 2012, 1:19am

Post #13 of 20 (89 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Oct 8 2012, 1:31am

Post #14 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
Very hearty congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine the happiness you felt when you first sold the book can only be rivaled by seeing it on bookshelves in the near future. Smile

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2012, 4:15am

Post #15 of 20 (118 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, Malveth! / [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Oct 8 2012, 9:55pm

Post #16 of 20 (91 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Oct 9 2012, 12:08am

Post #17 of 20 (68 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 4:24am

Post #18 of 20 (64 views)
Shortcut
Belated congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a trial of endurance for you! So happy you finally made it to the finish line! I know you've suggested folks PM you for more info, but you know, if you stopped by Fiesta or put a link in your footer with info on how to find out more about your book, I don't think anyone would mind! Keep us posted!

Weaver

Malveth
Rivendell

Oct 10 2012, 3:11am

Post #19 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
Thanks all :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm quite overwhelmed!

T_Meyers
Bree

Oct 11 2012, 3:04am

Post #20 of 20 (174 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an author as well and I send you my most humble CONGRATS! I've been working primarily in the screenwriting world for the past six years and have faced a lot of rejections and a few false starts. Two years ago I decided to sit down and work on a book series and finally finished the first book of it this summer. I have recieved good reviews from my readers but am still getting hammered by rejection letters or outright being ignored. I'm also kind of getting sick of waiting around, heh heh. I'm currently contemplating just going ahead with the self-pub ebook route. Possibly even doing a sort of Hobbit inspired event (since I'm strongly inspired by Tolkien as well) where I release it around the time The Hobbit: AUJ comes out. Will keep everyone posted on that front.

But, in the mean time, CONGRATS TO YOU AGAIN!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.