Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The great chair of reading

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 5:51pm

Post #1 of 8 (272 views)
Shortcut
The great chair of reading Can't Post

A sad thing happened in my home last night. My greatest companion of reading(and watching TV), my green recliner broke. It is sad, I almost cried, no joke. That chair has many memories. It was the chair where I rocked my son when he was an infant, where we cuddled and read books and watched tv. Always when he comes to me we find ourselves both sitting in that chair for long periods of time. So it was almost likened to the death of a friend to me. (silly I know)Frown. What does this have to do with Tolkien you ask? well here is my question for you.

Where is your favorite place to read Tolkien (or any book for that matter)? What sorts of things do you like to have about you when you settle in to read? Do you have any fond memories of this place that jump out to you?

For me my favorite place was that chair with a good cup of coffee or any beverage of the time of day, a light blanket, and my pipe when I was a single man (now my pipe smoking has bee relegated to the front porch by my wife (though she does like the smell, she doesn't care to have the house smell of tobacco). I could rock for hours exploring Middle Earth, following that dratted Harry Potter, flying with the riders of Pern, or delving deep into theology with the apologists. Late into the night my throne of green fabric and soft cushions would carry me anywhere my imagination would take me.

Farewell my stationary steed, you will be missed, you should be honored, and your memory will not be forgotten. (Really quite absurd such a fuss over a chair)

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 8 (109 views)
Shortcut
That chair was my friend! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to imagine that being said in Treebeard's voice to get the full effect.

Seriously, you do get attached to pieces of furniture and other objects that have great associations for you. I have a recliner in my home office that I've had for years and years and is one of my favorite places to read---I'd hate to have to break in a new one. My husband had one that simply broke down and had to be given away, and even now, two chairs later, he still misses it.

I hope you can find another chair that will create good memories for you, too. Evil

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 8 (79 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully the search will begin soon [In reply to] Can't Post

and be accompanied by a new copy of some Tolkien work, I have asked for the latest anniversary edition of LOTR

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 8 (103 views)
Shortcut
Three places I associate with 'reading' LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

1: the couch in the living room.

2: a lawn chair in the backyard

3: the car

I picked up FOTR for the first time in over thirty years in June of 2002. The sons were off to camp or working on our combat robot with the husband. It was the first time in almost 20 years I had any extensive uninterrupted time alone at home. Usually, to get away from the family, I had to leave the house.

I was so caught up by the books. It was stormy that summer and I was often reading with dark skies, lashing wind, and cracking thunder outside.

Later, I was often outside reading in the backyard. Our family had weathered a hard couple of years and that summer wasn't letting up on us. But outside, in the sun, with a LOTR book in my hand, I was happy. However, when I started ROTK, I realized that it was all going to end. Events in the book were ending. People were saying goodbye. Elves were leaving. And my time with the book was ending. And then I realized that things weren't looking that good for Frodo. And it was all too much and I think I sat in the backyard and read and cried for almost two weeks.

But since then, I listen to the tapes in the car. I've been through them maybe 4 or 5 times in the last ten - plus a few listens to the two audio dramas of LOTR and the audio drama of The Hobbit - I don't have The Hobbit or the Sil audio books on cassette and my car only has a cassette player. Sometimes I carry a little book to write thoughts in. And it's still hard to hear, "Well, I'm back." So much so that I can remember where, exactly, I was driving during times I've gotten to that line.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 2:26pm

Post #5 of 8 (89 views)
Shortcut
I like to read by the [In reply to] Can't Post

Wood stove in the fall or winter when it's dark out with my candles & oil lamps burning.

Sorry about your chair. When my husband died I had to remove the two chairs he always sat in because I couldn't stand to look at them empty. One was a rocking chair that he'd bought me when I was pregnant with our daughter. I used to rock her in it when she was a baby & it's a beautiful chair. I've gotten it back out now in the room where the wood stove is & plan to read to my granddaughter in it once the weather's cooled off enough to light the fire.

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
Funny how [In reply to] Can't Post

The silliness in this is not really so silly when you think of a place or a piece of furniture as connected to people and memory. Yes I loved to read in that chair, but it was my place in my home, where my son and I have had so much time, whether it be comforting him after a nightmare, holding him while sick, reading to him of course. My personal favorite is the night shortly after he was born when I sat with him in that chair. His mother and grandmother were asleep and I sat up all night and rocked him talking to him about how much I loved him and how excited I was that he was my son. I'll have to put that in a letter to him one day very soon.

Good news for me is that my wife told me this morning that we would go look for a new chair today after work. Such a good woman, I really need to come up with an Elvish name for her. You don't want to know the one I came up with for my ex wife (who actually bought me the chair that just broke lol). and now I've gone and jacked my own thread. sorry. I can't pass up nostalgia.

Here's praying for cooler weather, a warm fire and a nice book to read to your grandchild!Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 9:18am

Post #7 of 8 (122 views)
Shortcut
Who says a home has to be limited to a structure or place on a map? [In reply to] Can't Post

That chair will always be your home... you comfort zones... your nest. I'm so sorry it's broken. I'll bet it could be repaired! Wood, cloth, springs and nails.... but much more for you.

I my daughter's chair that was the same thing. She held the kids and slept in that chair with them through many nights.

My place is my bed. Every night I try to get to bed early enough to read LotR, The Hobbit, or something Tolkien. I"ve done it for decades. It unplugs me from the RL day and takes me to that home you had in your chair. I don't eat or drink there, but I do that for my LotR film viewings ;) But in the winter, I turn the electric blanket on a good hour before bedtime so my nest is warm. My fondest memory is that I have this healing time and that I feel relaxed and comforted even during the few moments I'm getting ready for bed just anticipating going back into that world. My escape :) The dreams that come from this are often rather wonderful!

Thanks, elevorn. Your sensitivity is heartwarming... :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 9 2012, 3:27am

Post #8 of 8 (152 views)
Shortcut
This is for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your sentiments are not absurd at all! And here's proof! I don't know if you are a Frasier fan, but Martin Crane's eulogy to his chair starts at about 12:56 in this video.

To answer your questions, I read most books in the bathtub these days (!); I have three sons, so it was the only place I could go when they were younger where they'd leave me alone long enough to read without any interruptions. I got to like it, so I still read in the tub even though my boys are mostly grown up at this point!

In terms of Tolkien, though, it's not a place that I associate with reading him, but more a time. To me, reading LOTR late at night, and then going out to look at the stars, is very special. That's what I did when I finished ROTK for the first time a Long Time Ago, and that memory has stayed with me.

Cheers, elevevorn! *Raises glass*-- "To your chair!"

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.