Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros. confirms Hobbit extended edition
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 4:01pm

Post #26 of 90 (1021 views)
Shortcut
It all depends on the films lenght [In reply to] Can't Post

because if it's three 3h films again, then the EEs make sense because they would have put as much as they could in the theatrical versions, but still have more material to show.

If these EEs are for three 2h films, then it's the same politic than the DLC for video games, and it's shocking IMO

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 4:03pm

Post #27 of 90 (1028 views)
Shortcut
If we are getting 12 hours of film [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the LOTR trilogy was (or 11.3833 hours to be more precise), then I'm all for this and this is amazing news! :D

But if we have, say, 9 hours of film, that could have been split up into three 3 hour theatrical films (that's a tongue twister), then this becomes simply a money-gainer for WB and makes me disappointed.

Here's to hoping that this trilogy will be as long as LOTR was! Heart Smile

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 4:06pm

Post #28 of 90 (934 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! Well said! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2012, 4:19pm

Post #29 of 90 (981 views)
Shortcut
Awesome..I believe it's because of the Cast! [In reply to] Can't Post

When you assemble such a
creative and experienced
Group...that their imput
blooms the possibilities.

I never felt PJ has ever
been a dictator...more
a collaborator with
his actors.

Often we heard things
like. "It was Viggo's idea"
or "Sean thought we should.."

Toss together World-Class talent
This what we Get!!! Yippie WoW!

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 4:24pm

Post #30 of 90 (988 views)
Shortcut
Packshot! [In reply to] Can't Post

And more than that - there is even a packshot available! Cool Evil

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 4:29pm

Post #31 of 90 (890 views)
Shortcut
very exciting news [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart cool cant wait. hurrah!

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Oct 4 2012, 4:42pm

Post #32 of 90 (1035 views)
Shortcut
PJ wasnt kidding [In reply to] Can't Post

When he said they are not good and shooting short movies. Great news, the more the merrier. I feel the EE of the LOTR was a real treat for fans, it was almost like seeing a great movie once, and then seeing it all over again in a new way. I loved how it wasnt just 5 or 10 mins extra, but much, much longer. I hope the Hobbit EE is the same way. CANNOT WAIT!

kareniel
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 5:01pm

Post #33 of 90 (798 views)
Shortcut
"Oh, frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" she chortled in her joy. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dave_lf
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 5:12pm

Post #34 of 90 (962 views)
Shortcut
To cut or not to cut [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't necessarily a matter of having too much material. If you listen to the LotR commentaries, a relatively small number of the extra scenes were cut due to time. Most were cut because:
  • They were redundant or just didn't add anything
  • They messed up the pacing
  • They didn't fit with the tone of the film
  • They damaged characters
  • They weren't very good

I'd say prime candidates for a AUJ EE would be:
  • Dwarf history (and backstory in general)
  • Bilbo hiding from Gandalf at the market. As in FotR, there will probably be pressure to get out the door and onto the road quickly.
  • Individual riddles

They probably will not cut much action (i.e. trolls and Goblin Town), because they never do. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 5:36pm

Post #35 of 90 (845 views)
Shortcut
I imagine some of the White Council sub-plot would be able for cutting too / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 5:37pm

Post #36 of 90 (794 views)
Shortcut
Never doubted they would for a second! [In reply to] Can't Post

As i have said previously, way too much money to be had for WB not to make them. Everyone got worried for nothing, lol.

I am glad though as generally speaking i prefer the extended editions of the LOTR and so im hoping it will be the same for TH.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 5:55pm

Post #37 of 90 (817 views)
Shortcut
Just in case, the packshot is fake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much my thoughts:

What could possibly be left out of the theatrical films? Either the versions in theaters are going to be cut down to the bare minimum, or the EE's are going to be about 2 minutes longer.

It's probably gonna be more like King Kong's SEE in terms of added length. Just can't imagine there being that much usable footage.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 4 2012, 6:10pm

Post #38 of 90 (792 views)
Shortcut
Of course it's fake! [In reply to] Can't Post

*proudly*

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 6:15pm

Post #39 of 90 (769 views)
Shortcut
meh [In reply to] Can't Post

And I thought the worst regarding the release of The Hobbit had passed with that half-a***d trilogy.How much lower can peeder jigson bring Bilbo's story still?

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Oct 4 2012, 6:17pm)

droidsocket
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 6:21pm

Post #40 of 90 (759 views)
Shortcut
Really! [In reply to] Can't Post

Come on!!!

Anyways. Such good news! Never expected we would hear about this before the theater release.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 6:31pm

Post #41 of 90 (786 views)
Shortcut
This means nothing right now [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't know how long the films are, and how long their EE counterparts are.

If the EE makes it 30-60 min longer, great. If it makes it 5 min longer, it is just an excuse to release another DVD set and make more money. An EE version was all but guaranteed because it makes more money, but we need to see how generous the portion size is.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 6:44pm

Post #42 of 90 (730 views)
Shortcut
meh Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

What I'm really looking forward to is a future two-part disc edition, after the release of Film 3.peeder might pursue such an attempt after all, once the trilogy proves a total critical failure.So I'm optimistic Evil

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Oct 4 2012, 6:45pm)

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 7:28pm

Post #43 of 90 (763 views)
Shortcut
Comparison with LoTR Extended Editions [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship of the Ring: 3 hours + 30 min = 3.5 hours
The Two Towers: 3 hours + 45 min = 3.75 hours
The Return of the King: 3.33 hours + 1 hour = 4.33 hours

A reasonable expectation for The Hobbit
An Unexpected Journey: 2.5 hours + 15 min = 2.75 hours
The Desolation of Smaug: 2.5 hours + 30 min = 3 hours
There and Back Again: 3 hours + 30 min = 3.5 hours

Don't expect much extra for AUJ unless they make the theatrical too short. The other two however, have the benefit of more filming.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 7:33pm

Post #44 of 90 (684 views)
Shortcut
With the trilogy announcement I was sure we were getting the EE this December [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems I was wrong! Though it could be as little as 10 minutes added to TUJ... I'm still buying, of course!! :D

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 4 2012, 8:02pm

Post #45 of 90 (634 views)
Shortcut
There will be more to The Hobbit than meets the eye [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'
'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!'

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 8:21pm

Post #46 of 90 (586 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Fellowship of the Ring: 3 hours + 30 min = 3.5 hours
The Two Towers: 3 hours + 45 min = 3.75 hours
The Return of the King: 3.33 hours + 1 hour = 4.33 hours

A reasonable expectation for The Hobbit
An Unexpected Journey: 2.5 hours + 15 min = 2.75 hours
The Desolation of Smaug: 2.5 hours + 30 min = 3 hours
There and Back Again: 3 hours + 30 min = 3.5 hours

Don't expect much extra for AUJ unless they make the theatrical too short. The other two however, have the benefit of more filming.

Whilst your numbers are, naturally, plucked from thin air (but seem entirely reasonable Smile), I can't help but agree with your closing assertion. There simply can't be that much more material for AUJ. A movie that was once to last from Bag End to Barrels now lasts from Bag End to Eagles. Jackson will have had to re-insert material he'd intended to leave for the EE in order to bulk up the TE's running time. And even if he hasn't, then a postulated extra 30 mins or so over the original Bag End to Barrels length will now have been truncated to 15-20 mins for the new Bag End to Eagles length.

Way under half an hour longer is my guess for the AUJ EE Frown

EDIT: Oops, forgot to say: Yes, the DOS and TABA EEs, on the other hand, are likely to benefit enormously from the new block of shooting planned for next year.

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Oct 4 2012, 8:24pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 8:58pm

Post #47 of 90 (570 views)
Shortcut
At this point we have no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

how long each of the films will be, though I will say I will be disappointed if they are under 2:45 each. Since Jackson himself has claimed he doesn't know how to make short films. Now as far as EE go i wonder if they are going to make shorter theatrical released films to be able to have EE or have they filmed enough to give us the usual lengthy films plus be able to add more. I'm hoping for the later of the two ideas but with Warner Bros involved it will definitely all be about money either way. One of my biggest fears of this whole trilogy announcement is that WB pressured or sweetened the pot for Peter Jackson into cutting the length of his films to accommodate the 3 film idea. one can hope there really is "more story to tell" but it seems like public relations runaround to me. Even with all my concerns about the Hobbit I for one hope for long theatrical releases as well as a fair amount of new footage added into all 3 of the films. we shall have to wait and see.

thirdeblue
The Shire

Oct 4 2012, 11:20pm

Post #48 of 90 (466 views)
Shortcut
Great News! [In reply to] Can't Post

The EEs might not add 30 minutes+ to these films, but even the EE of King Kong which only added I think 12 minutes added quite a bit of great material such as the triceratops attack and the giant fish thing. I would have preferred those two scenes over the brontosaurus stampede that made it into the film.

If the movies are great, the fact that they are shorter than The Lord of the Rings films will be forgiven. If they are not, then the 3 film split will seem like a cash grab.

If the EE of An Unexpected Journey ends up in the 3 hour plus range, then the rough cut of An Unexpected Journey, before the three film split had to be well over 4 hours. And of the two movies, An Unexpected Journey would be expected to be the SHORTER of the two.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 11:35pm

Post #49 of 90 (484 views)
Shortcut
*Fist In The Air!* YESSSSS!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*geek-o-meter spikes!* I knew it was coming... but to hear them talking about it already has me GIDDY! I can't WAIT!! I predict the theatrical version will be 2 hrs 50 mins and the extended will be 3 hrs 25 mins AND I predict the theatrical version will be released for purchase in May with the eedvd released in October 2013... in time to prep everyone for The Desolation of Smaug.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

thirdeblue
The Shire

Oct 4 2012, 11:46pm

Post #50 of 90 (474 views)
Shortcut
Future filming [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it possible that part of the EE of An Unexpected Journey hasn't been filmed yet?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.