Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Great Lines from the Movie

annie

Nov 2 2007, 2:21pm

Post #1 of 12 (526 views)
Shortcut
Great Lines from the Movie Can't Post

Hi everybody! I'm new to this board but glad I found you all. I'm searching for great lines from the movie which I know everyone has got memorized.
Here's the one I like, but I'm not sure if it's accurate...so, feel free to correct me!

Setting: Fellowship of the Ring. Scene: they are one their way to the Mines of Moria. Gandalf stops Frodo and says something to the effect:

"There are many powers in this world, Frodo, for good or ill, some against whom I have not yet been tested".

Is this the right quote? Let me know. And let me know what great lines you like!!

Annie

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 12 (404 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Annie [In reply to] Can't Post

and welcome.

We *just* did a thread like this: Favorite Lines so you might not get a ton of responses. But I hope you join in on the other discussions here.

annie

Nov 2 2007, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 12 (383 views)
Shortcut
Hi Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know if what I quoted above was accurate?

thanks,
Annie

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 2:56pm

Post #4 of 12 (379 views)
Shortcut
I don't know off hand but... [In reply to] Can't Post

google is my friend. When I plopped your quote into a google search window without quotation marks, I got up the Wiki page with book quotes and they have:

There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.

You can also google the movie name (i.e. "Fellowship of the Ring") and the word > transcript < and find transcripts of the movie. You can then run word searches for a quote (edit > Find... or if you have a google toolbar, there's a tool for this) or you can just browse the transcript. Council of Elrond has transcripts and so does Seat of Kings. I use them a lot.

I found this movie quote in a Council of Elrond thread

There are many powers in this world, for Good or for Evil. Some are greater than I am. And against some I have not yet been tested.

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 2 2007, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 12 (373 views)
Shortcut
welcome Annie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you found us!

There are several places on the web where you can get transcripts of the film scripts -- the Council of Elrond is one you might check out.

Do you know about Reera the Red's most excellent screencap library? That's where many of us get the photos used in posts around here -- here's a link:
http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib.htm. Magpie's music site is also great, if you like the soundtracks, which you access get via her footer.

We have several regular discussions going on this board -- Trivia, Screencap of the Day, Questions That Need Answering, GOLD Nuggets, and MISC.. so be sure to check them and dive in.

Spontaneous posts and questions like this are great, too -- unfortunately, we just had a similar thread to this one, as Magpie says, but please try again with another topic if you don't get many replies here.

Again, welcome!

Weaver

Patty
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 3:46pm

Post #6 of 12 (371 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Annie! [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, as the others have said, please tuck into the "favorite lines" thread still going on the board. Stay with us--we have great fun here. And be sure to join the "Friday Fiesta" Friday's in the Off-topic forum at noon EST. It's a free-for-all where we meet and greet and keep up with each other as we savor our favorite virtual drink of choice. See ya there!

For Gondor!

annie

Nov 2 2007, 4:08pm

Post #7 of 12 (366 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! I'm glad I'm here, too. You guys are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 9:40pm

Post #8 of 12 (377 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It's illustrative of the difference between the written and the spoken word that Jackson and Co. changed the line slightly for the film:

The book line was "There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. "

Anyway, my favorite lines:

FOTR: "They have a cave troll."

TTT: "What did you call me?"

ROTK: "My friends! You bow to no one!"

(BTW, welcome to TORn!)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 4 2007, 1:49am

Post #9 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Annie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tonight my favorite line is "To bear a Ring of power is to be alone."

It changes from day to day Smile.

Glad you have decided to join us!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2007, 4:24am

Post #10 of 12 (321 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I love that one!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Frodo?

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2007, 8:23am

Post #11 of 12 (315 views)
Shortcut
LOL!... Your nick says it all...! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2007, 8:31am

Post #12 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut
Changing from day to day [In reply to] Can't Post

feels like the best solution to me too!...
Way too many favorites to choose from otherwise! Sly
So many gems... How not to love them all??? Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.