Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros. confirms Hobbit extended edition
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 4 2012, 9:46am

Post #1 of 90 (4276 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros. confirms Hobbit extended edition Can't Post

Thanks to Ringer Oleander Took for spotting this in the Warner Bros. press release today regarding their 90th anniversary slate of offerings:

"And finally, among the new films you can expect on Blu-ray and DVD in 2013 are The Wachowskis’ Cloud Atlas and – officially confirmed here for the first time – Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Extended Edition (Q4). One suspects a theatrical cut will be released earlier in 2013, following the home video release pattern of the previous Lord of the Rings films. And it’s reasonable to suspect that a Blu-ray 3D version will be forthcoming as well."

Great news for Peter Jackson, Tolkien and movie fans everywhere! Join us in the speculation about which scenes will be in the theatrical release and which we'll have to wait for the extended edition to see. Hobbit Discussion board, Barliman's Chat, facebook, TwitterRead More...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 90 (1761 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant, brilliant news!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 3:14pm

Post #3 of 90 (1697 views)
Shortcut
RIGHTEOUS!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:18pm

Post #4 of 90 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Happy Dance! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ill buy the TE and the of course buy the EE. I love Middle-Earth and this news just makes me so very happy.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Post #5 of 90 (1857 views)
Shortcut
A trilogy AND material to spare? [In reply to] Can't Post

What could possibly be left out of the theatrical films? Either the versions in theaters are going to be cut down to the bare minimum, or the EE's are going to be about 2 minutes longer.

I suppose we'll probably see some of the Dwarf backstory end up on the EE, some of the material not really essential to the narrative such as Galadriel's monologue about the morgul blade? Perhaps some Dwarf bantering, a bit of Goblin-town and/or Riddles?

I don't know, WB really seem to be milking this.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Oct 4 2012, 3:20pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Post #6 of 90 (1873 views)
Shortcut
Based on my experience with PJ's LOTR adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

... this is good news.

Cool

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Ardamr
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 90 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Holy Cow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was definitely not expecting this! Not after the trilogy turn.

But what does this mean for our theatrical releases? Will they be short (about 2 hours) like we've been fretting and then be extended.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:19pm

Post #8 of 90 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful news! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:21pm

Post #9 of 90 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Again based on my experience with PJ's movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe The Hobbit movies will be short in running time.

Cool

(This post was edited by Tim on Oct 4 2012, 3:25pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:24pm

Post #10 of 90 (1529 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy now Smile

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:24pm

Post #11 of 90 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Actually TH movies are going to be VERY short! [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that much of the cast is about 4 feet tall. 8) ;P

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamr
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:25pm

Post #12 of 90 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, I never would have told anyone that The Hobbit would end up being three extended films...

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 3:26pm

Post #13 of 90 (1579 views)
Shortcut
There's hope yet for the talking purse! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 3:27pm

Post #14 of 90 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Great !! Who thought we had no room for surprises anymore ? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 90 (1521 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear we will be getting Extended Editions// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:29pm

Post #16 of 90 (1535 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the EE of the LOTR and will hold for the EE of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

as well. I just enjoy the extra material as it usually makes the scenes less abrupt and choppy as is often the case in the edited theatrical releases. Plus, you simply get more of the Middle Earth and characters experience.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:31pm

Post #17 of 90 (1568 views)
Shortcut
I can understand that, but to me it's not that surprising. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the things that struck me while watching the "making of" doc's for LOTR was that PJ produces huge volumes of material to work from. I expected him to do the same with The Hobbit.

It's really emphasized that PJ is not one of those guys who makes a script then sticks to it, it's all very dynamic and fluid (much to the chagrin, sometimes, of his support staff) and things get added and moved right up until the last minute.

So, mix large volumes of footage with a constant evolution in script and a propensity to make long movies and - voila! - three movies.

This is why it didn't surprise me in the least there were going to be two movies instead of one.

Ardamr
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:33pm

Post #18 of 90 (1639 views)
Shortcut
With an estimated 10 hours of footage we'll be getting [In reply to] Can't Post

There darn tooting better be room for the purse! Tongue

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:35pm

Post #19 of 90 (1707 views)
Shortcut
This is a tiny bit concerning. [In reply to] Can't Post

With LOTR I believe they looked at what they had left after the movie was released while now they've probably already decided what to leave out for the extended edition Unsure

This is WB after all so it's not surprising that they would cut a piece of the cake before delivering it...

Ardamr
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:37pm

Post #20 of 90 (1532 views)
Shortcut
I was all prepared for two films. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was even an avid supporter of two. I just firmly think that three is stretching the story too much.

And just because PJ shoots more than he needs, and the script is never really set, doesn't mean that a final film of 3 hours is always for the best. Sometimes, short and sweet is better than long and drawn out.

(Not saying I want short Hobbit films, just to clear that up)

Ardamr
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 3:40pm

Post #21 of 90 (1535 views)
Shortcut
That's what I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

This definitely feels like butchering the theatrical release so that they can double dip on an EE.

The LOTR EEs came about because of a massive story trying to be told in three films of three hours each. There was literally no way to put everything in, and even 10 years later we've still not seen everything they filmed.

For The Hobbit, though, they're already drawing out one simple story into three films. And now they're planning on EEs. The whole situation just seems so backward to me.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2012, 3:51pm

Post #22 of 90 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Exciting news! Thanks for sharing.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 3:52pm

Post #23 of 90 (1473 views)
Shortcut
I've been through TORn's newspage [In reply to] Can't Post

Back to 2001, but I can't find when it (FOTR EE) was first announced, for comparison.

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 3:56pm

Post #24 of 90 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that the one thing we can't affirm before the films come out !

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 4 2012, 3:57pm

Post #25 of 90 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Extended Editions? [In reply to] Can't Post

YES!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.