Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you think Peter Jackson should make The Simarillion next?
Poll: Do you think Peter Jackson should make The Simarillion next?
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
View Results (14 votes)

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 2 2012, 12:02am

Post #1 of 19 (827 views)
Shortcut
Do you think Peter Jackson should make The Simarillion next? Can't Post

The next film Peter is going to make after The Hobbit is another Tintin film but after that I think he should make The Simarillion! Crazy

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 12:59am

Post #2 of 19 (320 views)
Shortcut
This doesn't happen very often [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay so I'm having difficulty rationalizing the choices with the question... I chose "trailer 2" because I do not think PJ should make The Simarillion, neither next nor ever.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2012, 1:02am

Post #3 of 19 (304 views)
Shortcut
He can't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, the rights to the Silmarillion are not available. Tolkien himself sold the rights to make movies of LOTR and The Hobbit during his lifetime, but the Silmarillion was published by Christopher Tolkien after his death and so belongs to the Tolkien Estate. They have made it clear that they have no interest in having movies made of it, so it would not be possible unless they changed their minds (which is very unlikely) or it enters the public domain, which would not be for many years yet.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 1:26am

Post #4 of 19 (337 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely not. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way to make a feasible Silmarillion movie.

He can't do it anyway.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2012, 2:54am

Post #5 of 19 (308 views)
Shortcut
Making Sense Of The Poll Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

The only way I can explain the question as compared to the poll choices is if you changed your mind about the question, but forgot to change the choices. Or there were recreational drugs involved. Or a frat party. Or both.

So, a big "Huh?"

Therefore, I'm going to redefine the poll question for myself as "Which The Hobbit trailer was your favorite?"

My answer is Trailer 1.

What's your favorite food?

1. Baseball
2. Mars

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 2 2012, 2:58am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:03am

Post #6 of 19 (309 views)
Shortcut
No, he shouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

And it doesn't matter that he can't, I wouldn't want him to. I'm happy with LOTR and TH adaptations - they work great as films.

The Silmarillion is seared onto my heart forever (*throws up*). I don't want it ruined.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 4:31pm

Post #7 of 19 (286 views)
Shortcut
One does not simply adapt The Silmarillion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its pages are filled with more than just one story. It is an epic tale riddled with characters, locations, and subplots. The very story of the Silmarils spans centuries. Not with a whole trilogy could you do it. It is folly.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 4:41pm

Post #8 of 19 (327 views)
Shortcut
lol // [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 2 2012, 9:46pm

Post #9 of 19 (274 views)
Shortcut
I am under the belief that it would be impossible for anyone to do this [In reply to] Can't Post

For one thing, there is so much material...at least six three hour films. Secondly, there is little dialogue to use (meaning lots of cheesy movie dialogue in its place), and thirdly due to everything going on there is not time for character development, as the audience simply wouldn't have time to get to know any of them, even some of the more prominent characters such as Feanor.

Finally, the Tolkien Estate own The Silmarillion completely, not to mention the fact that they absolutely despise PJ's adaptations (at least most of them do).

End of lecture.Wink

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Oct 2 2012, 9:48pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 3 2012, 2:44am

Post #10 of 19 (255 views)
Shortcut
No, [In reply to] Can't Post

Now if he could get the rights I'd say he should adapt parts of it for the screen. But the whole thing ... NO

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 7:00am

Post #11 of 19 (246 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very unlikely situation ... but ... if we could round up every on TORn, I wonder if we could make the *best* adaptation possible?

Hmmm ... Sly

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Oct 3 2012, 10:42am

Post #12 of 19 (224 views)
Shortcut
That would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

It will never happen though.Even Pete said not even in his next lifetime.Tongue

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Oct 3 2012, 10:43am)

the_argonath
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 1:05pm

Post #13 of 19 (224 views)
Shortcut
Not feasible... [In reply to] Can't Post

And even if it was, it's impossible. I'd hate to think of Hollywood getting its hands on CoH or some sickening romanticised story of Aragorn & Arwen, or similar...

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 3 2012, 9:49pm

Post #14 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
Ops [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedwell i stuffed that upShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

BlushBlush

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 3 2012, 10:35pm

Post #15 of 19 (202 views)
Shortcut
What [In reply to] Can't Post

Which stuffed up thing are you referring to, exactly?

I am still mystified by the poll answers that don't make sense with the question. Can you explain what "Trailer 1" and "Trailer 2" mean to the question so I can vote?

Tongue

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2012, 4:39pm

Post #16 of 19 (190 views)
Shortcut
Joke? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, the mystery deepens and I can't stand the suspense. With Preciousssss'sssss complete and utter silence about this, I'm beginning to think I'm missing a joke somewhere. I mean, with RoseCotton's nonsequitur thread "Which one of the poll options is both the same?" the joke is obvious. I was actually smart enough to get the humor. But if this too was a joke thread, I just wasn't smart enough to see it. I just thought Preciousssss was a recreational drug user.

So is RoseCotton joining in on the joke of this thread, or making fun of it?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2012, 4:58pm

Post #17 of 19 (199 views)
Shortcut
I can edit the poll if you wish [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like you might have changed your mind on the topic or the responses. Just let any of the admins know what you want to do and we'll fix it. Or feel free to re-post the correct poll and we can remove this on.

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 6 2012, 3:34am

Post #18 of 19 (186 views)
Shortcut
Probably not... [In reply to] Can't Post

After pulling so much out for The Hobbit, what would be left over? Anyway, you need people of intelligence to make into a film this story... Book... Thing.
But really, the story and descriptions are best left to the imagination of the reader Smile

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 6 2012, 4:34am

Post #19 of 19 (606 views)
Shortcut
I have made a new not mucked up poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about this but if you want to vote please go to the new poll Blush

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.