Nov 8 2007, 11:21am

Post #51 of 71 (487 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Fili and Kili return with ponies
(determined from text)
..."They were four days gone, and by that time they knew that the joined armies of the Lake-men and the Elves were hurrying towards the Mountain. But now their hopes were higher; for they had food for some weeks with care—chiefly cram, of course, and they were very tired of it; but cram is much better than nothing—and already the gate was blocked with a wall of squared stones laid dry, but very thick and high across the opening. There were holes in the wall through which they could see (or shoot) but no entrance. They climbed in or out with ladders, and hauled stuff up with ropes. For the issuing of the stream they had contrived a small low arch under the new wall; but near the entrance they had so altered the narrow bed that a wide pool stretched from the mountain-wall to the head of the fall over which the stream went towards Dale. Approach to the Gate was now only possible, without swimming, along a narrow ledge of the cliff, to the right as one looked outwards from the wall. The ponies they had brought only to the head of the steps above the old bridge, and unloading them there had bidden them return to the masters and sent them back riderless to the South."

November 8, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Word has reached the homes and farms in the far corners of the Shire that the ruffians have been driven out and that it was the wayward hobbits turned warriors that restored their lands.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2007, 12:56pm

Post #52 of 71 (497 views)
Shortcut
Just the name, "cram", [In reply to] Can't Post

begins to stick in one's throat! What in the world were those Dwarves thinking? A few weeks' worth of food is still just that: it's going to run out.

With the heavy wall put in the entrance, and the pooling of water before it, it brings to mind the words of Boromir in the movies, at the entrance to Moria: "It's a tomb!" Yes, Thorin and company have gone beyond reason, into the insanity of gold-lust, and are blind to their actions being self-destructive.

(*looks left, above avatar* Oh, my...I'm right behind ya, gramma!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2007, 6:22pm

Post #53 of 71 (483 views)
Shortcut
Lookit you! [In reply to] Can't Post

How's the view from other there?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2007, 6:35pm

Post #54 of 71 (480 views)
Shortcut
I can see for miles and miles... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite sure how this happened, I do think they must've counted in all my PMs! Laugh

*sigh* But it looks like it's still going to be a while before Curious takes the boat. Fortunately there's comings-and-goings between here and Valinor!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 8 2007, 6:45pm

Post #55 of 71 (480 views)
Shortcut
Hey, congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those PMs were full of wisdom, as I can attest! ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8 2007, 7:43pm

Post #56 of 71 (476 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping and waves frantically* [In reply to] Can't Post

COME ON!!! OMG! I was getting tired of wandering around here by myself. This place is HUGE!!!

*sits on rock and waits patiently*

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2007, 8:08pm

Post #57 of 71 (475 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the view :-) And I hope it's not lonely for long.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 1:04am

Post #58 of 71 (469 views)
Shortcut
Cram-it! [In reply to] Can't Post

A less than vile meaning for expression of general outrageAngelic.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 3:16am

Post #59 of 71 (466 views)
Shortcut
Both the giving, and [In reply to] Can't Post

the grateful accepting of wisdom, as well! And all, correspondences with very dear friends - reams of correspondence, it seems! Good grief, I must seem like a certain Hobbit lady...now I wonder who that could be...Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 3:21am

Post #60 of 71 (466 views)
Shortcut
I should think [In reply to] Can't Post

that Curious would be here before Yule! And many more, by the Spring, I'll warrant, considering the short amount of time it took me to get here since the Boards went up.

I bet Altaira and everyone never expected us all to be reaching these goals, so soon!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 3:27am

Post #61 of 71 (465 views)
Shortcut
Hey, hi over there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Officially I'm on the Lonely Island, but the PTB probably wouldn't mind some comings-and-goings between the two places.

Seen any Maiar with twinkling eyes? Or maybe short, curly-haired fellows sharing a mug o' ale with the locals? Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 3:30am

Post #62 of 71 (462 views)
Shortcut
How about Dwarf student chefs [In reply to] Can't Post

cramming for an exam?

Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 10:42am

Post #63 of 71 (463 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 9, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. With the help of the Elves, Bard arranges shelter and food for the townsfolk.
(determined from text)
...Their plans were soon made. With the women and the children, the old and the unfit, the Master remained behind; and with him were some men of crafts and many skilled elves; and they busied themselves felling trees, and collecting the timber sent down from the Forest. Then they set about raising many huts by the shore against the oncoming winter; and also under the Master's direction they began the planning of a new town, designed more fair and large even than before, but not in the same place. They removed northward higher up the shore; for ever after they had a dread of the water where the dragon lay. He would never again return to his golden bed, but was stretched cold as stone, twisted upon the floor of the shallows. There for ages his huge bones could be seen in calm weather amid the ruined piles of the old town. But few dared to cross the cursed spot, and none dared to dive into the shivering water or recover the precious stones that fell from his rotting carcase.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 11:38am

Post #64 of 71 (461 views)
Shortcut
'At length he spoke again: "This is no time for angry words, Master, or [In reply to] Can't Post

for considering weighty plans of change. There is work to do. I serve you still-though after a while i may think again of your words and go North with any man that will follow me."
Then he strode off to help in the ordering of the camps and in the care of the sick and the wounded. But the master scowled at his back as he went, and remained sitting on the ground. He thought much but said little, unless it was to call loudly for men to bring him fire and food.'

I seen to think that in his thought (much) the Master dwelled on the things of his own concern. In the end it seems that it is Bard that was instrumental in thought and deed, with hands on, that built that new town.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 12:16pm

Post #65 of 71 (461 views)
Shortcut
Even in death [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug presents a curse! That area of the pond must have become the source of many a "bogey-story", and probably a few teenage "dares" as well.

Didn't someone here write a fanfic once, about a kid recovering one of the gems?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 6:32pm

Post #66 of 71 (459 views)
Shortcut
His destiny [In reply to] Can't Post

to rebuild the city of his people, just as Aragorn and the hobbits did for theirs :)

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 6:35pm

Post #67 of 71 (462 views)
Shortcut
A fanfic? [In reply to] Can't Post

oooo... I don't remember! But that would be a fascinating read.

As I looked this one over, I thought of the curse of King Tut's burial site and wondered if a day would come when the real story was forgotten. They need a Red Book of their own, or a copy of Bilbo's. He wanted to visit Lake-town, but do you think Bilbo eventually had a copy made and sent to Bard and Thranduil?

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 9 2007, 6:35pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 9:59pm

Post #68 of 71 (454 views)
Shortcut
He probably did get out there [In reply to] Can't Post

"I got here [Rivendell] without much adventure...and after a rest I went on with the dwarves to Dale: my last journey."

I would guess that they used the main road through Mirkwood this time, and so passed by the new Lake-town on their way to Dale. While he rested in Rivendell, he could have had Elvish scribes make a copy or two of the Red Book, to take with him as gifts!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 10 2007, 11:39am

Post #69 of 71 (446 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh... that makes sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to cling to that scenario :) Thank you!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 10 2007, 11:44am

Post #70 of 71 (451 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

November 10, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Rivendell does its magic
(not from the appendices)
..."...such was the virtue of the land of Rivendell that soon all fear and anxiety was lifted from their minds... ...So the days slipped away, as each morning dawned bright and fair, and each evening followed cool and clear. But autumn was waning fast; slowly the golden light faded to pale silver, and the lingering leaves fell from the naked trees. A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east. The Hunter's Moon waxed round in the night sky, and put to flight all the lesser stars. But low in the South one star shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley."

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2007, 1:25pm

Post #71 of 71 (478 views)
Shortcut
East winds and red stars [In reply to] Can't Post

A fading time - the waning of the year, the waning of their stay in Rivendell. A chill breeze from the East to remind them of the ever-present danger!

And for those who don't frequent the Reading Room, here's a link to a recent discussion of the red star: http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;. Most enlightening!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.