SCOD: Éomer and Aragorn conversing

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 5:02pm

Post #1 of 8 (1614 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Éomer and Aragorn conversing Can't Post

[thanks to Harold of Whoa for this inspiration]
In the book, Aragorn's approach to conversing with Éomer is rather more extravagant, lengthier and more dominating in nature:

eg.) 'Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone... "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, heir of Isildur... Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"'

The lines kept were that in bold (Aragorn) and underlined (Éomer).

1. If you've read the book scene, compare the film scene with that in the book. What changes do you notice, are they understandable alterations? What are your feelings on both?

2. How would you describe Aragorn and Éomer's behaviour in the film scene? (book readers) Compare this to book characters.

3. This is the first proper look we get at the Rohirrim. What do you think of them?

4. Extra stuff?

Thanks!

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Oct 1 2012, 5:07pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 5:50pm

Post #2 of 8 (991 views)
Shortcut
Ah, excellent questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. If you've read the book scene, compare the film scene with that in the book. What changes do you notice, are they understandable alterations? What are your feelings on both?: Both of them are well done, and Éomer is a little more demanding in the film than in the book.

2. How would you describe Aragorn and Éomer's behaviour in the film scene? (book readers) Compare this to book characters: The Rohirrim weren't quite as hostile to Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli in the book.

3. This is the first proper look we get at the Rohirrim. What do you think of them?: Incredible.

4. Extra stuff?: Amazing screenshot!

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
..You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
........................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 8 (941 views)
Shortcut
The Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the best-designed people in the films. Just perfect. "Anglo-Saxon/Goths of the plains" hybrids, as they should be.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 2 2012, 9:17am

Post #4 of 8 (919 views)
Shortcut
In the film [In reply to] Can't Post

it felt to me as if Aragorn and Eomer were meeting as equals at this point, neither having dominance. Eomer is bitter but is courteous in the end. Aragorn is less 'lordly' than in the book, but Aragorn only shows this side of him in ROTK, at this point he is still the Ranger. Even in Rivendell when legolas tells Boromir who Strider really is, Aragorn seems reluctant to fully take on the title of kingship, I dont think he feels he has earned the title yet. I actually prefer Aragorn in the film in many ways, as I prefer Theoden in the films. That is not to say I dont appreciate Aragorn in the book, its just a different reading of the same character, as he is essentially Aragorn still. I noticed that subconsiously Eomer probably realizes this is no ordinary vagabond. He gets off his horse, a significant gesture, it shows a willingness to get on equal terms with Aragorn and it removes the position of dominance of being on a horse towering over them. Not many Rohirrim chieftains would get off their horses to talk to casual wanderers, they would wish to maintain dominance.

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 5:48pm

Post #5 of 8 (917 views)
Shortcut
lots of subtle things going on here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how Aragorn's acknowledgment of Theoden as Rohan's King impacts Eomer...and of how Eomer's guard softens further as he picks up on the worry/concern that Aragorn and the others have about the hobbits, resulting in the gift of the horses.

Based on how the films have developed Aragorn to this point, having him announce his kingship would have been way over the top here..and by holding back on that, they were then able to use the whole film to show Aragorn growing into that role.

I did like the Eomer/Aragorn bond in the books, which they really don't develop at all in the films, but I can understand that they felt it was not as essential to the story as some of other relationships. Eomer's loss is the Theoden's gain, and also gets worked into the Legolas/Aragorn bond, and I liked how that played out on screen.

Weaver

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 5:07pm

Post #6 of 8 (845 views)
Shortcut
The hands and voice of a healer [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed to me that here Aragorn not only uses his hands to heal (putting a calming hand on Gimli's shoulder), but his voice too. Aragorn carefully chooses a soothing, subdued tone and words of caring help to 'heal' the mistrustful and angry energy swirling all around them.

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Oct 3 2012, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 8 (939 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Xanaseb! [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize if I steered you into a SCOD image that you would not have used otherwise. I was just trying to avoid jumping the gun the way I have in the past. Anyway, I like the selection and thank you for hosting it.

The contrast with the quote you offered from the book is exactly what I was interested in. Scenes that are close recreations from the book, but with a few key differences, sometimes serve as a Rosetta Stone for looking at how the movie has a different vision of the story. I view this scene, along with the passing of the Argonath, as especially vivid markers of the way Aragorn’s story is told in a different literary style.

There is more going on here than Aragorn’s acceptance of his kingship or the absence of Anduril. The emphasis in the film is on realism – realism as a style choice. Movie Aragorn, with a realistic assessment of the situation, commits to unflagging quiet diplomacy that is humble and soft-spoken. (I note that Eomer’s concerns are entirely legitimate for a Third Marshall of the Mark.) As I watch, if I imagine Aragorn issuing a grandiose ultimatum, I think the realistic outcome would be bloodshed and more heads on pikes. As filmed, Aragorn’s ‘gentle speech’ de-escalates the situation. Weaver is exactly right about the effect of invoking King Theoden’s name in friendship.

The book version of Aragorn depicts him more like an epic hero, such as Beowulf or Odysseus - someone more able to pull off the razzle dazzle and get away with it. I wonder if part of the reason for not going that route in the movies is that he might seem stylistically out of synch with his companions. [acknowledgements to dijomaja] At any rate, I think taking away these epic moments from film Aragorn eliminates the risk of obscuring the elements that make him truly worthy of kingship with something that might come across as a lacquered-on air of superiority and entitlement.

I agree with Shelob’s Appetite about the appearance of the Rohirrim being near-perfection. The details that convey Rohan as a culture are exquisite. The story-telling that PJ employs to engage us with the people of Rohan is some of his best work, I think. The look, the feel, the sound, the performances – everything works together almost flawlessly, at least from the burning of the Westfold to the departure to Helm’s Deep.

Thanks again, Xanaseb!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2012, 6:57am

Post #8 of 8 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watch this scene I can´t stop thnking some of the Rohirrim are women! It would be cool to see them without the beards just to show Rohan women are strong and brave as well

And I missed all Aragorn and Eomer friendship from the books

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.