The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
BioWare Could Do the Next Lord of the Rings RPG

Rogash
Bree

Nov 2 2007, 8:53am

Post #1 of 4 (817 views)
Shortcut
BioWare Could Do the Next Lord of the Rings RPG Can't Post

See, acquisitions aren’t all bad – while most moaned and groaned over the recent acquisition of BioWare and Pandemic by EA, it’s opened some new potential avenues. One that I find particularly interesting, which analyst Michael Pachter speculated on was that BioWare could be given the reigns to do the next RPG based on the Lord of the Rings license, which EA owns the rights to. Given the lack of success prior attempts EA has made at it, BioWare could certainly bring some credibility to the table.
From Business Week:

According to Michael Pachter, a Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst, BioWare’s prowess at designing and producing role-playing games—both original and franchise-based—could help jump-start EA projects that have so far been stuck in the mud. A prime candidate is Lord of the Rings: the White Council. “EA hasn’t been able to get it right for two and a half years now,” says Pachter. “But if BioWare takes it over, it should do very well in the marketplace,” he adds, citing the company’s previous hits with titles based on the Star Wars films, which could prove helpful for taking on Tolkien.

Londrandir

Nov 13 2007, 7:02pm

Post #2 of 4 (455 views)
Shortcut
Hopes for LOTR Knights of the Old Republic... [In reply to] Can't Post

If BioWare do work with EA on restarting the White Council, or even on a completely New game, i think it would be great. If it turns out anything like the Knights of the Old Republic games, then it could be the best LOTR game so far.

Londrandir, The Path Wanderer Of Mirkwood

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Nov 27 2007, 5:25pm

Post #3 of 4 (432 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting news indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought EA did a pretty decent to good job with its strategy game "Battle For Middle-earth II" and its expansion. BFME 1 wasn't nearly as good and I think few people discovered the better second version.

BioWare's take could be potentially cool.

I think the current MMORPG game in Middle-earth is great and much ignored by TORn fandom, which I don't understand at all.

Oh well!

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Eruantion87
The Shire

Jan 16 2008, 2:16am

Post #4 of 4 (705 views)
Shortcut
Awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that sounds like a great idea. I love what BioWare did with KotOR.

They could bring some awesome stuff to the table.

Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it. White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.