I've got my map!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2007, 5:18am

Post #1 of 165 (9237 views)
Shortcut
I've got my map! Can't Post

I see from the sticky thread Kimi was probably first, but I couldn't resist a squee myself. It's completely stunningly gorgeous, and much larger than I expected (okay, I knew the dimensions, but they didn't figure in my brain, exactly!)

Daniel, on an errand into town, kindly dropped my copy off for me so I was able to thank him in person - and took the liberty of thanking him on behalf of everyone. I think he gets what this place means to us, and I think that comes over in the gorgeous detail of the map.

He also said that the first maps going overseas should be arriving imminently - today, or tomorrow, so everyone will be able to see what a lovely thing has been created.

Now to find a frame for it ...

HM Bark Endeavour at anchor in Broken Bay, NSW Australia, October 2007

Endeavour at anchor

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 9:54am

Post #2 of 165 (8668 views)
Shortcut
OH! Eledwhen!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi got hers!? *spasm* I'm SO THRILLED you were able to talk with him in person!!! HE ACTUALLY DROPPED IT OFF!! *tearing*

We're so lucky to have such a lovely, quality gent, who has so much going on, stop to make this much more special than it already was... which was OFF THE CHARTS! I'm having trouble getting my brain around this! He's found a way to forever join TORn to Tolkien, Peter Jackson, and Middle-earth.

Oh geez, I'm gonna babble if I don't stop now. I'm just so overwhelmed. Everything about this story and these films has been such a joy to be a part of... and now this. It's Magic.

Thank you for sharing our delight with him. I think he knows... but I also don't think it can be said enough. Someday, that man's gonna get a hug from me.

*twitch*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 2 2007, 10:59am

Post #3 of 165 (8639 views)
Shortcut
thank you for thanking him for [In reply to] Can't Post

us!!

I can't wait to get mine, too. If it comes this weekend while I'm away mooting in Chicago, I'll have it to look forward to when I get home while I'm missing everyone. Good timing!

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Morwen
Rohan

Nov 2 2007, 12:04pm

Post #4 of 165 (8642 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

How exciting!

Now if Daniel could just make a quick little side trip to Oklahoma...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2007, 1:27pm

Post #5 of 165 (8630 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And how special to have gotten it HAND DELIVERED by Daniel himself! I cannot wait to get my copy. Smile

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2007, 1:43pm

Post #6 of 165 (8630 views)
Shortcut
I hope it arrives!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gotten my package yet, and I really hope it comes today or tomorrow. Your map is included with mine!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Patty
Immortal

Nov 2 2007, 3:32pm

Post #7 of 165 (8669 views)
Shortcut
What are your print numbers, Eledhwen and Kimi? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be home all day, just awaiting the mail!

For Gondor!

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2007, 3:36pm

Post #8 of 165 (8629 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I haven't forgotten about my payment - it's coming with me today. Wink

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2007, 11:53pm

Post #9 of 165 (8629 views)
Shortcut
He offered [In reply to] Can't Post

to drop mine off in person, too, before he found out how far from him I live. He's a lovely man, which makes this all even more special.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2007, 11:53pm

Post #10 of 165 (8613 views)
Shortcut
Number 7. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lucky number!

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2007, 12:14am

Post #11 of 165 (8641 views)
Shortcut
I'm still quite pleased [In reply to] Can't Post

with doing the Milford sound cruise instead of getting the map ;-)

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 3 2007, 4:02am

Post #12 of 165 (8640 views)
Shortcut
I suppose hand-delivery to Denver, Colorado is out of the question? [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh*

I thought so... Unsure

(I just wanna see if he's as hunky in person as he is in his photo! Evil)

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2007, 5:02am

Post #13 of 165 (8598 views)
Shortcut
You could try :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

- A Room With a View

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2007, 6:07am

Post #14 of 165 (8610 views)
Shortcut
It was very good of him [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a nice chat and he showed me his scrapbooks of stuff from the movies, which were fascinating and made me want to go back and freeze-frame large chunks of all three films! The Red Book in particular is brilliant - Daniel rewrote The Hobbit in the first person, essentially, up to about the Riddle Game. I was rather impressed. Smile

Endeavour at anchor

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2007, 6:07am

Post #15 of 165 (8614 views)
Shortcut
Number 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope it comes soon!

Endeavour at anchor

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 3 2007, 7:27am

Post #16 of 165 (8646 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he is. Totally hunky. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(I just wanna see if he's as hunky in person as he is in his photo! Evil)

Also charming, friendly, clever, and all-round wonderful (based on seeing him at ORC 2006, where he gave one of the best sessions ever).

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

drogo
Lorien

Nov 3 2007, 7:55pm

Post #17 of 165 (8607 views)
Shortcut
Oklahoma is just a few blocks from Colorado, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he'd probably know how to read maps and see how far it is. Oh well, I'll wait for the postman to deliver mine.

Now I have to figure out what to do to frame it!

Ginger
Rohan

Nov 6 2007, 5:45pm

Post #18 of 165 (8588 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank you for thanking him [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, I think he did "get" what this place means to us.

Patty
Immortal

Nov 6 2007, 5:48pm

Post #19 of 165 (8591 views)
Shortcut
I think this would be a great thread to post [In reply to] Can't Post

our print numbers (provided that's okay with everyone?) when the U.S. prints start to arrive. I'm sure it will be soon--and I'm really looking forward to it.

For Gondor!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2007, 1:08am

Post #20 of 165 (8588 views)
Shortcut
It's Here!!! Number 3 has arrived [In reply to] Can't Post

in California.... wonderful, fantastic, ..... find myself giggling over injokes... and I am not one to giggle....

Thanks to all who aided in this endeavor.

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 7 2007, 1:34am

Post #21 of 165 (8583 views)
Shortcut
OH!! I am so jealous--er--pleased!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No, seriously, I am so happy to think they have hit US soil. Virginia should only be one or two more days, don't you think!!??

Do you mean you have print number three, or just the third one in this post? (or, both?)

Can't wait.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Nov 7 2007, 2:07am

Post #22 of 165 (8590 views)
Shortcut
It's here! It's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent about half an hour gazing at it. I was surprised by all the beautiful, subtle gradations in color which I hadn't noticed in the photos -- I love how there are shadings of blue in the background, and the pale fall colors of the trees. And the little water lines and everything -- so much detail!

My favorite part is still the little Nazgul figure in the Gaming and Collecting panel, because I'm so flabbergasted that a Nazgul can look cute! I want to pinch it's evil undead little cheek! (Er, if Nazgul have cheeks . . .)

And the way even the tiniest little drawings, like the fox and the horse, have so much character to them. I think this is the mark of a brilliant artist. If I tried drawing something, I could use dozens more lines, and not convey even a fraction of the expressiveness of these tiny little treasures.

And seeing my friends' names around the border, and knowing that some of them are marveling at this same map, and that it was all of us who brought this to fruition -- it just brought tears to my eyes, and I moved the map away so as not to worry about getting tears on it. When we embarked on this project, I never could have imagined that we would wind up sharing something so stunning. Thank you all. :-)

Mine was a high number -- I think 42? I put it back in the tube for now (though I will be getting it framed ASAP!) and might remember wrong. Did he send them out alphabetically?

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 7 2007, 2:13am

Post #23 of 165 (8587 views)
Shortcut
are you on the West Coast? (US) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

~~~Reinhold Niebuhr

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Nov 7 2007, 2:16am

Post #24 of 165 (8568 views)
Shortcut
Nope, East Coast -- NYC. /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2007, 2:22am

Post #25 of 165 (8577 views)
Shortcut
3 of 55 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a Borg name.... 7 of 9 meet 3 of 55...

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.