Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The beginning of October reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 1:43pm

Post #1 of 16 (308 views)
Shortcut
The beginning of October reading thread! Can't Post

Ah, October---my favorite month! The summer's over, the days are shorter, the temperatures are cooler, the trees are starting to get an expectant golden glow.

So of course it's also ragweed *ah choo!* season Mad

Ah well.

This last week I read Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. It's a series of essays on getting older, and how life changes for women, and is short and sweet and very funny in that "Yes! I know what she means!" way, over and beyond her witty writing style. What's sad is reading "when I get to be in my eighties I'll...." and knowing that she died at 71 earlier this year. Unsure

I just watched her last movie, "Julie and Julia", which she wrote and directed. Delightful, and not a bad epitaph at all.

What have you been reading?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 2:18pm

Post #2 of 16 (168 views)
Shortcut
And for lovers of Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels [In reply to] Can't Post

She had a great birthday party this week! And yes, I know she loves LotR Smile

Barbara's birthday bash

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2012, 4:50pm

Post #3 of 16 (160 views)
Shortcut
Autumn [In reply to] Can't Post

It is nice to be done with the drought and heat here in Ohio, but I am not looking forward to winter. October is OhioHobbit's favorite month.

I am still plodding through LOTR. I am into Return of the King. Just met with Ghan-buri-Ghan!

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 16 (195 views)
Shortcut
Ivanhoe! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of the classic books I never read, so it's been interesting to check it out. I'm not very far into it, but there's a lot already that seems awfully familiar...it reads like a template for sword and sorcery/medieval sf/fantasy tales.

The opening section also has a pretty long intro/preface that made me wonder about whether or not Ivanhoe was an influence on Tolkien -- I found a website with some thoughts on that which I just posted in the Reading Room -- you can find it here!

Weaver

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 8:46pm

Post #5 of 16 (139 views)
Shortcut
Heart of Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

by Joseph Conrad. Our minister made it the subject of his sermon this past Sunday, and I knew I had to read it (got it free for my kindle.) I'm only a third of the way through, but it's already pretty gripping. The writing is amazing, and the story is appalling but unputdownable (despite the fact that our minister spoiled the ending by reading it out loud during his sermon.)

Now I'm debating whether to watch Apocalypse Now, which is based on this book (loosely; the book takes place in the Congo in the 1890s, and the movie of course is set in the Vietnam War.) I've never seen it because as a kid growing up the Vietnam War was on the news every night and in the paper every morning, and I grew up absorbing that news. I also read horrifying stories in news magazines (and in the Reader's Digest) at a young age. (There was one in the Digest about children throwing grenades, and another one about a man being crucified--pretty grim reading for a grade-school kid.) No one I knew went to that war, but it still felt like it was a huge part of my life as a child. I didn't need any anti-war movie to convince me of what I already knew. But now I'm thinking of going back and renting the movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 2 2012, 8:47pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 8:54pm

Post #6 of 16 (139 views)
Shortcut
If you get tired of winter... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you can send a snowball or two down this way! Of course, as soon as I say that, we'll actually have a winter this year, which we did not last time around.

Ah, you're in my favorite part of RotK, the whole build-up to and then the battle of the Pelennor. Great story, great prose, great images.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 8:58pm

Post #7 of 16 (160 views)
Shortcut
Interesting juxtaposition [In reply to] Can't Post

Scott with Tolkien, that is. And interesting comments you posted in the reading room. It had never occurred to me to compare the two authors, but yes, it makes sense.

Just off the top of my head, I suspect that Tolkien read Scott's novels as a youth and absorbed some of his skills with language and narrative along with everything else his brilliant mind absorbed.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 9:01pm

Post #8 of 16 (163 views)
Shortcut
Quite a strong story, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen Apocalypse Now, but I remember seeing a documentary about its making some years ago and that alone was quite enough for me, thank you. Like you, I remember the Viet Nam war all too well. Unlike you, I do know people who fought in it, shudder.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 2 2012, 9:47pm

Post #9 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
The Priest and the Skull [In reply to] Can't Post

This is about Pierre Tielhard de Chardin, the Jesuit priest who backed Darwin's theory of evolution and was exiled to China by his church - where he was one of the people who discovered Peking Man. I'm not up to Tielhard yet - I'm reading a lot of background about scientific belief in Europe during that time and theories that preceded Darwin's work. It's a fascinating book, written in a very easy style.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 10:04pm

Post #10 of 16 (122 views)
Shortcut
It's not that I don't know anyone now [In reply to] Can't Post

who fought in Vietnam. I just didn't when I was a kid. One of my husband's good friends has been fighting Parkinsons for decades, and attributes it to Agent Orange. And of course I've met other people. A member of my husband's family was engaged to a man who was killed in Vietnam. But it didn't touch my family as I was growing up, except in the way the news can touch a kid.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 12:43pm

Post #11 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to mention "Journal of Best Practices" [In reply to] Can't Post

by David Finch. I saw a news story on him and his wife, and bought the book right away on Kindle (instant gratification!).

The author was in a failing marriage; his wife couldn't understand why he was such a jerk. Then she was administering a test for Asperger's Syndrome to one of the kids she worked with, and noticed how many of the things sounded like David. He took the test (a simple online quiz) and he was "off the charts". A doctor later verified the diagnosis. He decided that instead of using it as an excuse for bad behavior, he'd modify his behavior. He worked at it methodically, writing sticky notes and putting them around the house ("you can help fold laundry"). He is very candid in the book about things he was doing that were making his wife's life difficult. His wife lost her resentment and worked with him. It saved their marriage.

Of course I took the test myself, and scored within 'neurotypical" range, but I had a few spikes here and there. Anyway, it was all very interesting, and I think I learned some things about myself along the way.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 3 2012, 12:44pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 2:01pm

Post #12 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't there a theory that in his youth, Tielhard participated in the Piltdown Man hoax?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 2:05pm

Post #13 of 16 (133 views)
Shortcut
It would be hard to avoid knowing anyone now, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

My cousin's husband was killed in Viet Nam, so my family was touched directly. I had friends who had boyfriends there, and a high school friend of mine was the student body president at Kent State.

I read an essay fairly recently by a young person who said he wished he'd been around in 1968. My first thought was, You've got to be kidding!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2012, 2:08pm

Post #14 of 16 (154 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that f/sf fans lean toward Asperger's [In reply to] Can't Post

Which the makers of one of my favorite TV shows, The Big Bang Theory, use very effectively for laughs. Something to do with the imagination, maybe?

I don't yet have a Kindle or other e-reader, but when the day comes, I can see where the instant gratification would be both an asset and a drawback!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2012, 3:53am

Post #15 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
There was a mention of the Piltdown Man early in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to flick back to see if Tielhard was involved in that. I'll let you know!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 7 2012, 4:50pm

Post #16 of 16 (316 views)
Shortcut
Current readings and BBC audio books/audio plays [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently reading Samuel Richardson's "Clarissa Harlowe" (downloaded from Project Gutenberg) , and I've just finished volume 2 (out of 9), so this will take me a while.
Now I know there's a BBC audio play of the book (Richard Armitage reading Lovelace), and I was hoping that maybe somebody might know if this version is available for download or buy? Any ideas? I'd really like to get this one!
I searched Amazon etc, but couldn't find anything. just some excerpts on YouTube, but they're just teasers and make you want to get the whole play Tongue

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 7 2012, 6:29pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.