Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What Specifically...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 11:12pm

Post #26 of 43 (541 views)
Shortcut
The key difference is [In reply to] Can't Post

They were film adaptations of one of my favorite things in the world. LOTR. And as a film buff, a film version of LOTR has long been something I dreamed of.

I mean, I no longer talk about Howard the Duck because I don't care about the story, and the film stunk. But that's a different thing altogether.

Though, I did just talk about Howard the Duck right there, didn't I...

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Oct 1 2012, 11:14pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2012, 11:22pm

Post #27 of 43 (526 views)
Shortcut
Well no I understand that [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm not being funny. It is just genuinely strange for me. Ten years is such a long time - I would expect most people to not be regularly discussing a divorce, a serious illness or even a death after that time.

As I say, different strokes but I just struggle to empathise. Had a very similar situation with the Susan Cooper adaptation (The Dark is Rising), but I can honestly say I think I have spent less than 30 minutes of my life discussing it.

LR

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 11:23pm

Post #28 of 43 (536 views)
Shortcut
Editing time went out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Short version; You're entirely right in what you're saying. I just think that what you describe is a personal thing (unless input from others is asked for), and if someone has decided that they want to risk seeing a movie that they might end up not liking, then they shouldn't have to be told by others not to experience it, nor that they won't end up liking it. That's why, in this particular context, I don't like "don't like it, don't see it"; Let people make up their own minds about that.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 1 2012, 11:28pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 11:28pm

Post #29 of 43 (531 views)
Shortcut
Got it - one point of clarification, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I also don't enjoy dwelling on past hurts, past disappointments, and past trivialities. If I had a scumbag partner that I got rid of ten years ago, I wouldn't be posting about it on the internet. I prefer to focus on the present and future.

On the other hand, because I love Tolkien, I love film, and enjoy discussing art and entertainment in general, I actually enjoy talking about the films, even though I didn't particularly care for them. Furthermore, there are moments in them that I find sublime, and I do find value in discussing the reasons why I appreciate them. In other words, its not masochistic, or necessarily therapeutic (though it can occasionally be the latter). It's simply enjoyable.

So, it's not quite a broad brush stroke personality thing. It's a more complicated mix of pleasure and pain! (but again, not masochistic!) Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 11:29pm

Post #30 of 43 (485 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a dismissive response, with no understanding or empathy in it. To TORN's credit, however, there are very few people here who say such things.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Oct 1 2012, 11:30pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 11:52pm

Post #31 of 43 (526 views)
Shortcut
how shocked would you be... [In reply to] Can't Post

to learn I 'kind of' started one. :-)

I had to do a book design project in my digital layout and design class. I chose to do this one:
https://picasaweb.google.com/...XC7w?feat=directlink

I've designed some interior pages: section headers pages, style sheets for content pages, icons/bullets, etc. And I entered some conversations I had with others and part of my 2002 Summer of Tolkien journal.

I bet it doesn't shock you much, does it. lol. I'm just that compulsive, just that verbose, and just that egotistical.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 12:28am

Post #32 of 43 (491 views)
Shortcut
Given that [In reply to] Can't Post

compulsive, verbose and egotistical enough to have actually written a book, no, I'm not surprised.

I think you should finish it!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 12:32am

Post #33 of 43 (482 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you didn't take that as a dig in your direction. I was just thinking you have a good sense of me and that I would do it. We share some of those Myers Briggs letters you and I.

But just like I was hoping you'd chuckle at my comment, I'm chuckling at yours.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 1:04am

Post #34 of 43 (484 views)
Shortcut
On the contrary [In reply to] Can't Post

I consider it a compliment to be similar to you in any way!

And yes, I did chuckle at your comment. Which was a pleasant change from some interaction around here!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Plurmo
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 2:12am

Post #35 of 43 (570 views)
Shortcut
Specifically? That would be Aragorn's personality. [In reply to] Can't Post

They produced the unwilling hero and put it in place of the man with full knowledge of his mission and heritage. That's why I doubt they will give Thorin a proper dwarf king personality. There will be misplaced exaggerations to compensate for their inability to portray book's Thorin and to make the cute Thorin seem less weak.

Even then it should be expected that they will make some good choices regarding Thorin the same way they did with Viggo's Aragorn. And I believe the movies will be very good though they will feel more artificial because many actors will be recycling previous roles and because of the technology choices.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 2 2012, 1:19pm

Post #36 of 43 (431 views)
Shortcut
wise words Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with all your points. When I saw FOTR many years ago I hadnt visited any forums and I had no preconceived ideas what so ever. I went into the cinema with a completely open mind, and I was amazed and delighted by the films. There were bits I didnt like much, and there were bits that annoyed me a lot, but on the whole I fell in love with them. Years later and expecting the Hobbit I started to post on a forum expecting to share my excitement at the coming films. Slowly I kind of got sucked into posting and slowly I got to understand more and be more critical. I think this is a double edged sword. ok I have had fun telling my fellow forumers how I dislike axes in heads and how I think Tauriel is a huge mistake, but deep down I really want to like these films, and if I dont its going to be a big disappointment. Maybe its better to back slowly away and preserve the last shreds of innocence? I stopped posting on one forum because I really found the vitriol spat at PJ and co was quite disappointing and uncalled for. They bandied about names like 'The Coven' which I found distastful and unpleasant. Tolkien purists can be the most intransigent of all fans. It was almost impossible to be positive without getting shot down in great length and with bibliography/references. I love debate, even heated debate, but sometimes it just feels like one sided monologue with someone with an axe to grind. If some people want to rant and hammer home how bad PJ is thats their prerogative and right to do so, but I dont intend to read it, accept it, or be influenced by it. Its only a film for heavens sake, and its only entertainment, I have a deep love for the books and Peter Jacksons films can in no way shape or form alter, destroy or corrupt them. I have respect for people who are disappointed by LOTR, I can try to understand their concerns without feeling I have to ram my views down their neck. I guess I am a middle roader, and I hope these new films give everyone pleasure and a few hours escape from the difficulties of life. I really do.

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 2 2012, 1:25pm

Post #37 of 43 (443 views)
Shortcut
oh I know [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not that I'm really saying that, its just the point I was at, where my frustration level had driven me to. Magpie has talked me off the ledge though.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 2 2012, 1:31pm

Post #38 of 43 (486 views)
Shortcut
Yes I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I read Magpies response and she had the spirit I was going for in mind, and was kind enough to point out that I had now taken on the very kind of attitude that had at first frustrated me.

I do enjoy a debate, and the bandying about of ideas, sometimes you get overwhelmed by certain trivial things and she was kind enough to help me see the error of my ways. Angelic

elevorn
Lorien

Oct 2 2012, 1:42pm

Post #39 of 43 (497 views)
Shortcut
apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize if my, "don't like it don't see it" comment made you (or anyone else who read this thread) feel in away way put out. It was not my intention and probably a bad play on my part. Like I said earlier, it was a point of frustration and I let it get to me and I do regret saying such a ridiculously callous thing. The last thing I want is for someone to close off their opinions because of something I said, or wrote.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 4:50pm

Post #40 of 43 (448 views)
Shortcut
No worries at all, elevorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I hadn't noticed that you said anything like that, and was referencing countless other comments like it.

In my experience, you and Magpie have been perfectly wonderful on these forums, and I harbor no ill will!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 6:46pm

Post #41 of 43 (512 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts (short to semi-short) [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course with any book to movie there are going to be different. I don't feel as a whole there are dramatic differences. There are aspects of the books that I enjoy but don't mind losing (Tom Bombadil and the extended Ent sequences) and there are things added that I don't care for in the movies (Change to Faramir, Frodo showing the ring to the Nazgul, Frodo sending Sam away) . So I look at both of these as nearly perfect with the same heart and essence within them. The books and the movies mean a lot to me so I understand how a negative reaction can feel if how I feel is so positive. For me when it comes to negative opinions I listen and take them under consideration to a point. It's when someone starts calling hacks or something to that effect I turn them off. It's not to be rude but if you go off the reservation there is no common ground to really be had. So for me it becomes someone whose opinion I gloss over.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Oct 2 2012, 6:48pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 5 2012, 5:06am

Post #42 of 43 (481 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Though there seem to be very few, if any, of those sorts of people here. In general, I find most TORNers, those who love PJ's films, those who like them a little, and those who don't like them very much at all, to be very nice, agreeable and humorous people.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 5 2012, 11:05am

Post #43 of 43 (880 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

There does seem to be enough of a balance to let you talk with folks you can have a conversation that can actually go someplace.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.