Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel: possible flash sideways?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 30 2012, 6:56pm

Post #126 of 136 (1806 views)
Shortcut
I am just going off what [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen from PJ. Legolas isnt earthy and Thranduil isnt earthy, I just assumed there would be some cohesive aesthetic with the Mirkwood Elves? Although in the books they were more rustic, I think PJ is going for, wears green = rustic. I just dont get the choice of actress, its my problem I guess.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 7:00pm

Post #127 of 136 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil and Legolas are also not Silvan Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have seen from PJ. Legolas isnt earthy and Thranduil isnt earthy, I just assumed there would be some cohesive aesthetic with the Mirkwood Elves? Although in the books they were more rustic, I think PJ is going for, wears green = rustic. I just dont get the choice of actress, its my problem I guess.

Thranduil rules over the Wood-elves of Mirkwood, but he and his son are Sindar-elves. Tauriel is the first authentic Wood-elf that we meet.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 30 2012, 8:25pm

Post #128 of 136 (1789 views)
Shortcut
You mean the presence [In reply to] Can't Post

achieved with makeup and elaborate lighting?

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 10:33pm

Post #129 of 136 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Screen presence [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You mean the presence achieved with makeup and elaborate lighting?

There is something to be said for personal presence too. Not every actor or actress has it to the same degree. Makeup and lighting can achieve a lot, but it still comes down to the ability of the individual to capture the audience's attention.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 30 2012, 10:35pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 12:57am

Post #130 of 136 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Liv Tyler [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think she's be able to pull off Arwen, yet she did for me. That (and many other lessons learned) have taught me to wait for the finished product before I rush to judgement.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 4:12am

Post #131 of 136 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Your point? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't think she's be able to pull off Arwen, yet she did for me. That (and many other lessons learned) have taught me to wait for the finished product before I rush to judgement.

I'm not rushing to judgement either. Maybe you are thinking of the post that I was responding to.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 4:24am

Post #132 of 136 (1776 views)
Shortcut
I think I made my point very clear. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was about me, and no one else.

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 4:28am

Post #133 of 136 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Your post seemed to imply that we were in disagreement.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I misread your intent then I apologize, but my impression was that our point-of-views were pretty much the same.

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 7:37am

Post #134 of 136 (1786 views)
Shortcut
As Elisebeth I [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Judy Dench manages to pull off more presence than Cate Blanchett.

And I agree about Liv Tyler. Based on her performance in Armageddon, you would never pin her as an elf.

It's called acting. Some people are better at it than others, but you can't judge it by looking at a them.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Jettorex
Lorien

Oct 1 2012, 9:50pm

Post #135 of 136 (1752 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

She looks rather elf like to me especially a Silvan elf. I think she looks a tad less ethereal and classic than Cate and Liv which would seem in line for a wood elf. She has more of an earthy natural beauty IMHO.
Even her real name sounds like a wood elf. Evangeline Lilly.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 11:35pm

Post #136 of 136 (1784 views)
Shortcut
I understand that [In reply to] Can't Post

But the rather Hollywood "girl next door" look does not, IMO, translate into "wood elf."

But I will wait to see Lilly act before I cast final judgment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.