Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Article: Why Three Hobbit Films is a Good Thing:

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 3:55pm

Post #1 of 9 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Article: Why Three Hobbit Films is a Good Thing: Can't Post

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/09/6-reasons-its-a-good-thing-the-hobbit-is-being-split-into-three-movies/#ixzz281moaQhT

There is a fair amount of bad language, but it's funny and makes some good points.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

redgiraffe
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 9 (851 views)
Shortcut
hey [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you make a URL with the link pretty please?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 4:15pm

Post #3 of 9 (897 views)
Shortcut
The comparison between Bilbo and Frodo is fair, I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Bilbo has his whiny moments too.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 4:30pm

Post #4 of 9 (973 views)
Shortcut
Clickable link [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 5:30pm

Post #5 of 9 (806 views)
Shortcut
I agree abot the final 1/3 of the Book.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seemed just a Montag of major Events.
TBO5A. .was rushed..so much material handled in briief description?
This Movie version will finally be the Big Payoff that the book lacked.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 6:04pm

Post #6 of 9 (696 views)
Shortcut
Here is a hot link [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 12:13am

Post #7 of 9 (507 views)
Shortcut
And just as many bad ones... [In reply to] Can't Post

Uhhh...right. I can forgive him for being (obviously) an LOTR movie-firster--he has to be right? To make so many ignorant points--esp about Frodo--but doggone it, do some #4%&*3 reasearch!!!
And we had to put up with it for 12 hrs not 9--he still hasn't seen the EE's?!

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 9 (360 views)
Shortcut
7 reasons why 3 films was always the way to go [In reply to] Can't Post

While the article was written a tad tongue-in-cheek, the author's points were, for the most part, all valid:

Point 1 - The same amount of stuff happens. While I'm not quite sure I would agree with that point, I do agree with the author that if Tolkien had written the Hobbit after writing the LOTR, it would have been a much longer tale. So it's unfair in my opinion (given the way Jackson is going to tell the tale) to use the length of the novel as a reason to criticize the decision to make three movies.

Point 2 - Bilbo vs. Frodo.
The author jokingly picked on Frodo but the truth of the matter is that Bilbo has always been The Quintessential Hobbit. With all due respect to all of the other Hobbit characters Tolkien invented, none of them compare to Bilbo Baggins. And IMHO, Martin Freeman is THE BEST possible actor to play Bilbo. We should not underestimate what depth, humor, and "sizzle" Martin Freeman will bring to the role over the course of three films.

Point 3 - Riddles in the Dark. The notion that Bilbo's encounter with Gollum could--and should--anchor one of the movies is a valid one. It is so central to the LOTR, you can't afford to hurry it. It needs to stand on its own. When you think of all the stuff that would have been crammed into one film in order to get Bilbo and the dwarves to Laketown, it would have given the journey a Cliff's Notes feel.

Point 4 - Gandalf's Journey. Three films insures that this intriguing 'untold' part of the Hobbit tale gets a fair shake. While we would have gotten it all in EEs, the theatrical version was going to be a challenge for Peter to capture the essence of the Battle of Dol Guilder.

Point 5 - More Room to Breath. As great and as iconic as some of the scenes from Jackson's ROTK film were, in retrospect, most lovers of the films would agree that the final film was 1) too rushed at times (particularly Frodo & Sam's journey through Mordor); and 2) too long. Three films will allow for more character development and will feel less "rushed." This will be particularly true for: 1) the Woodland Realm; 2) Laketown; and 3) Dol Gulder

Point 6 - Dwarves. This is a great point. The playfulness of Tolkien's 'children's tale' will come across through Jackson's depiction of the dwarves. Since they all have individual looks and personalities, the focus of the journey will be as much about the personal dynamics of the Company as it is about the destination itself. I love the FOTR and the journey of the Fellowship across Middle Earth, but it's focus was, quite naturally, on Frodo and the Ring with precious little attention paid (given the need for speed) to the group's interactions with one another. Three movies will allow the audience to get to know the dwarves better. The more pronounced comical, 'rag-tag' nature of the band of dwarves will pay more emotionally powerful dividends by the time we reach the second half of film two and all of film three.

I want to add a seventh point:

Point 7 - "Riddles in the Dark 2" - Three films will also allow the film makers to bookend the Riddles in the Dark of Film 1 with a reprise in Film 3 between Bilbo and Smaug. I'm willing to bet that this iconic scene from the book is going to be greatly expanded with the exchanges between the Hobbit and the dragon feeling like a dual in the same way Bilbo's riddles game was with Gollum. It was no accident that Benedict Cumberbatch, the actor signed to play the character of Smaug, has incredible onscreen chemistry with Martin Freeman. They have a history working together on the hit BBC show, Sherlock. I recall reading somewhere that Jackson was excited to use their chemistry and familiarity with one another.

(This post was edited by Black Breathalizer on Oct 2 2012, 5:49pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 6:08pm

Post #9 of 9 (444 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

Great synopsis. It's very interesting how a change in language can change one's reaction to a piece of writing.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.