Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why is there next to no recent info/prove that Howard Shore really is composing the movie score?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SkaldOfTheNorse
Bree

Oct 1 2012, 2:55pm

Post #1 of 30 (2407 views)
Shortcut
Why is there next to no recent info/prove that Howard Shore really is composing the movie score? Can't Post

Even Howard Shore's Official Site does not really state as a major event that he is composing the movie score for The Hobbit.
It state things like the music for an online game "Soul of the Ultimate Nation" etc. One would assume that the scoring The Hobbit would be his recent and biggest feat. So why no info. Furthermore there was not really new Howard Shore music added to the second trailer.
It's only like two months to the first Hobbit Movies release.

Why is there no announcement on Howard's website an why wasn't there more new score included in the second trailer?

Skald Unsure

(This post was edited by SkaldOfTheNorse on Oct 1 2012, 3:04pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 30 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you are the only one. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are not obliged to inform us about every step they take. It was said Shore is recording the music shortly a little while back, what more do you want? Trailers in the vast majority of times don't feature music from the movie. I skimmed through his homepage and as far as i can see the only projects listed on the front page are those that are already completed.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Oct 1 2012, 3:06pm)

SkaldOfTheNorse
Bree

Oct 1 2012, 3:09pm

Post #3 of 30 (951 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did you read that I said that "They" are obliged to inform us?

So what you say that it is logical that there is still next to no music score info available. There are quite a few movies where the score was released on CD (or at least info on the track titles) even prior to the movie's release. So my question is not all that strange.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 1 2012, 3:11pm

Post #4 of 30 (947 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just keep your eye on www.musicoflotr.com - Doug Adams will keep us informed on anything we need to know.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 3:13pm

Post #5 of 30 (863 views)
Shortcut
I imagine he's far too busy to change such trivial things [In reply to] Can't Post

And film trailers often don't use the official score, just like some of the LOTR trilogy trailers. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 3:13pm

Post #6 of 30 (875 views)
Shortcut
Why does it matter? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, we know he's composing. That's absolutely confirmed. Why would having it listed on his website make a difference?

As to the trailer, not having his music was discussed when the trailer came out - not that I'm saying 'old news, don't ask'. I'm just saying there were a lot of good points made in that thread that you might find interesting or useful.

Let me go dig out a link to my answer : http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=496525#496525

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 3:29pm

Post #7 of 30 (863 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it's perfectly normal to not have any soundtrack info at this point. True, soundtracks get released before the movies come out a lot of times but usually it's about a month earlier.

SkaldOfTheNorse
Bree

Oct 1 2012, 4:16pm

Post #8 of 30 (757 views)
Shortcut
No worries. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for taking away my worries.
Just could not imagine The Hobbit without Howard Shore's score.

Smile

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 4:42pm

Post #9 of 30 (723 views)
Shortcut
Do they have to confirm it repeatedly? [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been said quite many times enough. If Shore quitted, PJ would tell us.

And the reason for the lack of Shore music in the recent trailer was most probably because there isn't yet any new completed music. Remember, they did use non-Shore music in LotR trailers too (Requiem for Dream, for example.)

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Oct 1 2012, 4:42pm)

Junesong
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 30 (747 views)
Shortcut
It's in the most recent trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the credits at the end of the newest trailer - it says that the music is being composed by Shore. No official announcement on whether he'll stay to do the third film, but I'm sure it's all been worked out.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2012, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 30 (618 views)
Shortcut
King Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's King Kong all over again.

PJ: "I'm sorry, Howard, you're just not putting enough 'green' in the score. We're bringing in Kermit instead. I'm Shore you understand."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 8:36pm

Post #12 of 30 (532 views)
Shortcut
Not an unreasonable question at all [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, it was later than this that it was announced that Shore was being replaced on King Kong, I believe.

That having been said, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 8:36pm

Post #13 of 30 (533 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily a done deal [In reply to] Can't Post

Shore was scoring King Kong, and his score was scrapped at pretty much the last minute, and replaced with a rather generic one.

He probably hasn't posted it on his site yet, because the score ain't over until the fat lady sings. After that experience, he likely wants to be careful, and make sure his score is accepted, before promoting it on his site.

That said, I'm quite sure Shore's score will make the cut. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 8:47pm

Post #14 of 30 (534 views)
Shortcut
JWP...ROTFLMAssssOff..! So puny. .sooo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Priceless Preciouzzzz
Modssssz.. UP fur U

BombBad
AssBomby

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 9:07pm

Post #15 of 30 (518 views)
Shortcut
Though he was confirmed to be composing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...And starting to record on August 20, 2012, do we know for sure he is doing the third film? Sorry, just wondering. Middle-Earth wouldn't be the same without his beautiful work.

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'
'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!'

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 9:19pm

Post #16 of 30 (456 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't he do the third one? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 10:00pm

Post #17 of 30 (470 views)
Shortcut
we don't know for sure --- strike that, this may be good enough confirmation [In reply to] Can't Post

below the line is what I wrote initially. Then the researcher in me decided to dig on Doug's site for any clues. He's probably going to whack me for finding this since I know he's not supposed to provide any information that hasn't been officially announced. But he wrote this:
today marks the official start of The Hobbit recording sessions in London. Today the musical world of Middle-earth begins expanding once again. Today, you can no longer say that you know every note of Shore's music for Tolkien's world. In fact, you only know about half of it. (This is a ballpark figure; I have no idea how long the three Hobbit films will be!) Today the subject of The Music of the Hobbit Films exists not just in concept, but in reality. Today a new journey begins ...
The implication there is that Shore is scoring all three.
http://www.musicoflotr.com/...08/commencement.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in fact, we don't know much 'for sure'. He's signed the contract. He's on the posters and trailers. He's writing. He's recording.

That's about all we know, along with Doug Adams is contracted to write a book about Shore's music for "The Hobbit"

Other than that, information is being tightly controlled this time around and not much has come out about the music. I think it's just a matter of timing. They are releasing info as marketing tools and different kinds of information serve different marketing functions which guides the timing.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 1 2012, 10:08pm)

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 10:05pm

Post #18 of 30 (402 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

For the input, as long as he's composing, The Hobbit will be great
Smile

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 10:09pm

Post #19 of 30 (391 views)
Shortcut
just made an edit to my post... be sure to check it out // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:15pm

Post #20 of 30 (427 views)
Shortcut
You mean [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as his composition turns into a recording, and that recording is attached to the films, everything will be fine. Smile

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 10:16pm

Post #21 of 30 (400 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I remember reading this! Hopefully it does imply that he will be doing all three. Smile

Boulderfist
The Shire

Oct 1 2012, 10:20pm

Post #22 of 30 (451 views)
Shortcut
This is enough for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/fullcredits#cast

Scroll down to original score by... and there you go.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 11:06pm

Post #23 of 30 (411 views)
Shortcut
What concerns me though [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope it's just me doing silly nit-picking, but since we are now much surer than we were in August that the decision to split Film 2 in half to 3 at the last minute was made by the studio, has this upset Shore's method of composition too much. I mean to say, could this possibly compromise the tightly woven structure of his score. He now has to re-work and expands (or contract, or move forward or backward) snippets of cues or even whole compositions based on the changed narrative of a new trilogy. Film 1 will be fine for most of its lenght it prb won't have to change much, but the moving back of the ending throws a big monkey wrench in the music for Film 2 of for example....
Hey, we can at least soeculate can't we?

MTRougeau
Bree

Oct 2 2012, 1:13am

Post #24 of 30 (339 views)
Shortcut
I share your concern. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had this same thought several times. Shore likely had the overall structure of his composition nailed down for a while, and then all of a sudden he's told that there will be three movies. I do very much wonder what his initial reaction to this news was, and how feverishly he began to re-organize/re-structure/re-write his score to make it work over a 3 part narrative. I'm sure it's all being chronicled quite thoroughly by Doug Adams.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 1:21am

Post #25 of 30 (333 views)
Shortcut
Oftentimes, adversity [In reply to] Can't Post

Can lead to a more inspired result...Don't underestimate the artistic value of "pressure."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.