Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 40 (600 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Patty
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 2:11pm

Post #2 of 40 (337 views)
Shortcut
Not a movie, exactly. Call The Midwife and Upstairs, Downstairs sequel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed CtM--it was refreshingly different, in that I don't think midwife stories have been done before. I believe that it was based on the recollections of a real midwife from the mid 1950's. The BBC seems very proud of it--I think because Downton Abbey seemed to win the period drama crown away from UP, DOWN , and it is ITV.

Written by the same lady, Heidi Thomas, was the sequel to Upstairs, Downstairs. Still starring Jean Marsh, this time around the action takes place in 1936, and the rest of the cast is all new ( I think everyone else from the cast of the old Up Down is already dead--except Daisy). It was very enjoyable this time around--more than when I saw it a year or so ago. My local PBS did the whole first season marathon (3 episodes) in preparation for starting season 2 next week. I know that the series was cancelled after that season, so I'm gonna try not to get too attached.

Permanent address: Into the West

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 3:13pm

Post #3 of 40 (342 views)
Shortcut
Cabin in the Woods; Siegfried [In reply to] Can't Post

"Cabin in the Woods" is a clever take on the traditional horror movie, and, because it's Josh Whedon, often funny. But the climactic scene went on too long and got a bit boring, and I didn't get why two of the characters made the choice they did at the end, there was no build-up to that idea.

I've been watching the Met Opera "Ring" series, which has been playing on my local PBS channel once a week, and we got to "Siegfried" yesterday. Wagner does go on and on and on, so I had it on as background rather than sitting and watching it through (I've seen it before, live). Terrific cast (Jay Hunter Morris was physically perfect as Siegfried - I was reminded of Chris Hemsworth - and could actually act) and the weird techno-set worked and in places was breathtaking.

Just watching Deborah Voigt sing is a great lesson for a singer.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 5:04pm

Post #4 of 40 (298 views)
Shortcut
Looper, Mr Olympia [In reply to] Can't Post

Looper
Some friends asked me if i wanted to go see it, didn't know anything about it other than seeing the trailer last week when i saw Dredd 3D (which is awesome btw).

The film stars Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt.

The film is set in the near future where certain people are a special kind of assassin. They kill people who are from the future. Time travel has not been invented in the time set in the movie but it has 30 or so years in the future.

There is this person in the future who is closing all the loopers cycles - this is done by getting the looper to murder himself from the future. If i say much more it will give too much of the movie away and spoil it - which i would hate to do for anyone.

I probably havent described it very well, lol, but it's a good film and well acted. I am a real fan of Joseph Gordon-levitt now and look forward to whatever he has planned.

I am going to give it an 8/10 - i am surprised at how good it was, as i think are critics and audience members as its been getting great reviews. Would recommend.

Mr Olympia
Has anyone ever watched pumping iron with Arnold before he became an action hero? Mr Olympia is the title he was going for in the film (and won). I didnt watch this live but saw some short clips - the winner was a man called Phil Heath - he looks like a kids action man or bigger maybe!

It would be interesting to hear what people think of his look.

Personally i think the guy who came second should have won but its a subjective sport at the end of the day.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 40 (293 views)
Shortcut
The end of "I Want To Live" with Susan Hayward [In reply to] Can't Post

I was doing a sewing project and turned on the TV, and saw the last end of this movie, about a woman on death row. It was pretty gripping, and Hayward's performance was amazing. Now I want to see the whole thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

wendy woo
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 5:53pm

Post #6 of 40 (310 views)
Shortcut
I watched UpStrs/DwnStrs too! Great series! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the cancellation because I think it's LOADS better than that Downton Abbey (I can't stand Julian Fellowes' work!).

Did ya get him?
I don't know, but he was limpin' when he left.
He was limpin' when he got here!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 7:45pm

Post #7 of 40 (291 views)
Shortcut
I think that the problem with Up/Down was.. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were only 3 episodes, and people didn't have a chance to bond with it.

Downton is fantastic IMHO, but I never did understand why it had to be one or the other. But the BBC as well as Jean Marsh obviously viewed it as a competition instead of allowing us to like both.

Permanent address: Into the West

wendy woo
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 10:47pm

Post #8 of 40 (267 views)
Shortcut
I just seemed to like the characters better on U/D... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't seem to give a hoot over the characters on Downton, but I have to watch it regardless because my husband likes it. How's that for some weird demographics. The wife hates it and the husband loves it! Go figure!

Did ya get him?
I don't know, but he was limpin' when he left.
He was limpin' when he got here!

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 40 (313 views)
Shortcut
Two Dr. Who's and One Sherlock! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had so much hanging out with the Doctor, that I decided to check out the BBC Sherlock Holmes series after that sionce so many of you guys have been raving about it.

You were right! I thought I'd watch 5 minutes of it and could not stop after that -- what a great take on those characters and the whole Holmes world. I had also not really scene either Benedict C. or Martin F. in much of anything before and you know, those guys are good! It will be really interesting to see what they bring to the Hobbit.

Thanks to all you Sherlock and "new-Who" fans for the recommendations!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 12:26am

Post #10 of 40 (311 views)
Shortcut
Out of the Wild: Venezuela; Skellig: The Owl Man; Sahara [In reply to] Can't Post

I spoke last week about a Discovery Channel short series called Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment (or something like that) and about how much I enjoyed it.

I started watching the series that followed this up where, again, 9 people were dropped off in Venezuela and they had to walk out with only minimal supplies and support to civilization.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this one as well but I did a lot.

As the series progressed, the participants started talking about how they really had to dig deep emotionally, and physically, and psychically to do this thing. I started thinking about Frodo and Sam on their quest to and through Mordor.

And when the participants talked about how much they relied on each other, I thought about the Fellowship.

And when the participants were given supplies to build a raft so they didn't have to slog through savannah and bogs and jungle, I thought about the gifts of Elven boats.

It really deepened my connection to LOTR and LOTR deepened my connection to the people on the screen and when it came to the end I cried right along with them at the completion of their journey.. their quest.

I warned people that the Alaska series had some hunting and dressing of wildlife. This one didn't so much. They fished. They ate a lot of grubs (and really liked them). They did find some turtles which they showed a short bit of dressing. But overall, I wouldn't give the same caveat with this one as with Alaska. But folks, I heartily recommend both.

I also watched Skelling The Owl Man after I realized that John Simm was in it (reference my conversation with zarabia in the tv shows thread). This had John Simm, Tim Roth, and Kelly Macdonald. It was odd. Now, you kind of have to put a vocal nuance on the word 'odd'.

Apparently 'The Owl Man' was added for American release and I think it's a mistake. I think it should have been left just 'Skellig'. Maybe it seems like 'Skellig' is more confusing that 'Skellig: The Owl Man" but the movie (and I presume the award winning, young adult novel upon which it's based) is somewhat confusing. Or maybe ambiguous is a better word.

In the end, I'm not sure I got it.

My guilty pleasure over the weekend, and it was a pleasure, was Sahara with Matthew McConaughey, PenÚlope Cruz, Steve Zahn, William H. Macy, and Rainn Wilson. It was funny. I laughed quite a bit.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 2 2012, 2:33am

Post #11 of 40 (266 views)
Shortcut
The Avengers (x4) [In reply to] Can't Post

The blu ray was released last Tuesday, and i've watched it four times since....Laugh

A couple moments I think are dead on regarding comic book lore/ character history....

***SPOILER ALERT***SPOILER ALERT***

I love it when Thor lands on the jet in mid-air, rips it open, grabs Loki and then flies away without so much as saying a word to the stunned superheroes aboard....funny and awesome all at once Smile

The fight between Iron Man, Thor, and Cap in the forest is right out of the comics and done brilliantly. Intense action mixed with humor to great effect.

I also really like the older gent who won't kneel to Loki even if it means being killed, only to be saved by Cap, who then proceeds to talk smack to Loki before he thrashes him : )

The thing I keep noticing is how skilled Joss Whedon is at hitting the right 'beats' in the film. Just when I start thinking to myself " where the heck is Thor ?" all of a sudden.. Thor shows up!!

I have loaned my copy of The Avengers to a friend, but have demanded its return on Thursday so I can watch with commentary and check out the special featuresSmile

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Oct 2 2012, 2:36am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 3:05am

Post #12 of 40 (244 views)
Shortcut
I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the extras. // [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 3:23am

Post #13 of 40 (287 views)
Shortcut
definitely worth watching... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it many years ago but it had a really big impact on me when I watched it and I still remember it...

Before we had kids, we used to take turns picking movies to rent on Friday nights. Mr. Weaver picked this one and Gaslight. Good thing it's because he likes classic films, otherwise I'd be worried!Smile

Seriously, I Want to Live is a great film -- do rent it so you can see the whole thing, it's worth it!

Weaver

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 4:34am

Post #14 of 40 (310 views)
Shortcut
hee (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when Thor lands on the jet in mid-air, rips it open, grabs Loki and then flies away without so much as saying a word to the stunned superheroes aboard....funny and awesome all at once Smile

I don't think Thor ripped his way into the jet, Stark opened the back to go out & see what was what. I love Stark's reaction after Thor snatches Loki: "And now there's that guy."

Also love when Natasha advises Cap to sit this one out because "these guys are basically gods" and he replies "there's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." I laugh every time.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 1:29pm

Post #15 of 40 (268 views)
Shortcut
I liked how each character kept a pretty consistent, distinct personality [In reply to] Can't Post

And that they didn't make Captain America hokey with his All American personality. That line was a good example of a line that only the Captain would say. :-)

I even felt that they kind of had him fighting and holding a gun in a WWII style. But I might be imagining that.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 3:20pm

Post #16 of 40 (242 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Whedon excels at ensembles.

I love the Cap (and who knew Chris Evans was that good?) My favorite lines are when he gets the Flying Monkeys reference, and when he says "son . . . just don't" to the pilot. I totally believe he's from the 40s. Just as I totally believe Thor ain't from around here.

And I adore Coulson's man-crush on the Cap. But then I adore everything about Coulson.

imin
Valinor

Oct 2 2012, 5:56pm

Post #17 of 40 (252 views)
Shortcut
Not a movie but a great tv show - homeland [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone watch the first episode of the new series of Homeland?

I love the show, think Damian Lewis and Claire Danes were excellent last series and the writing was very good to. Best drama since Breaking Bad i feel. Has won 4 Emmys just last week.

I felt they probably could have left the show as being a one of season but i think they have carried the success of the first series over into this and i cant wait for the next episode!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 6:11pm

Post #18 of 40 (265 views)
Shortcut
this show has been in my Netflix queue forever [In reply to] Can't Post

The top 5 items in my queue are 'long wait'

Kingdom: Series 1: Disc 1 Very long wait

Homeland: Season 1: Disc 1 Very long wait

Warehouse 13: Season 3: Disc 1 Long wait

Once Upon a Time: Season 1: Disc 1 Long wait

The Avengers Very long wait

I have about given up on Good Wife Season 3 which is Long wait

seriously... Netflix is falling in my esteem with all these long waits.

I like Damian Lewis very much and have seen him in Band of Brothers and Life.

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2012, 7:35pm

Post #19 of 40 (227 views)
Shortcut
Resident Evil #.... [In reply to] Can't Post

5, I think Wink

All in all -- a good choice, I think, since this was my first REAL 3D movie experience (I can't count an at-home viewing of Coraline a coupla years back!)

The 3D---well, that was an experience in itself. I was way more focused on that than on any story line RE5 had to offer.
I did not fall in love with or get blown away by 3D but I did get over my anti-3D feelings.
I was most impressed some things air born--snow, rain, and ash-- in this case. Projectiles were not as impressive but did get a little "jump" response from me. I noticed the dimensionalization (is that a word?) of people was not (or didn't seem to be) used consistently but when it was "on" the effect was pretty cool.
Something not cool was the blurriness of things on the screen when I took off the glasses. I'm assuming that's the case with all 3D features?
Ah well--now I am not so opposed to seeing The Hobbit in whichever format is offered at the local theater.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 8:04pm

Post #20 of 40 (232 views)
Shortcut
atmospherics [In reply to] Can't Post

"I was most impressed some things air born--snow, rain, and ash"

This is the sort of thing Cameron was excited about using 3D for and it's the thing that was not only most successful in Avatar, for me. But actually made me feel more part of the world.

I think this is the future of 3D, imo. Not working in moments where people are standing on ledges or poking things at the camera. Just helping the world we're viewing feel a little more real.

Yes, taking off your glasses will make the picture more blurry. Simplistically, they're projecting two images and blocking one out with the left lens and blocking the other one out with the right lens. You're seeing both images when you take your glasses off.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2012, 9:52pm

Post #21 of 40 (216 views)
Shortcut
For those who have Roku... you can watch the new Hobbit trailer on Flixster [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked seeing it on a bigger screen than my computer.

I also watched trailers for

...Cloud Atlas - looks really confusing!

...Life of Pi - must see this in 3D - I know nothing about the story other than what the trailer showed me - fantastic visuals

...Les Mis - I'm probably one of the few people in the world who hasn't seen this play in any in media

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2012, 11:22pm

Post #22 of 40 (241 views)
Shortcut
*cartwheels* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the Flixster tip--watching the trailer on a larger screen was great.
And by the way--Deadwood is not on Netflix instant (boo!) so I will have to either have to wait it out or seek viewing of that one elsewhere.
And...another thing....just started watching Once Upon a Time (season one) and have enjoyed the 6 episodes that I've seen so far.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 3 2012, 2:42am

Post #23 of 40 (224 views)
Shortcut
Finally saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'm cheap and had to wait for it to get to the dollar theater....

Applause Applause.... the audience (all 15 of us) cheered and laughed and clapped for the good guys.

Next time someone is taken over by evil guys don't forget... just knock them up the side of the head it will restart their brains.

Joss Whedon is terrific. The interplay between the characters reminds me of Firefly.... sigh... I may have to go see it again.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 2:50am

Post #24 of 40 (211 views)
Shortcut
The Amazing Spiderman [In reply to] Can't Post

on the big screen at the second run theater.

It had some good parts to it and I really liked Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Sally Field.

But it was too long. I made the argument on another board that not every fan wants a three hour movie (as someone maintained) and it was the rare movie that hit the two hour mark when I wasn't thinking, 'how long is this?'

I thought, 'how long is this?', then I shifted my weight some more. Then I leaned forward onto the empty seat in front of me. Then I thought, "If I were the director/editor... what would I have cut?"

I don't know. I'm not a good editor. But that movie needed one.

And not every movie fan wants movies three hours long.

But I did like parts of it.

Hamfast
Rohan

Oct 3 2012, 4:18am

Post #25 of 40 (214 views)
Shortcut
Just watched all the Avengers extras [In reply to] Can't Post

And it is definitely worth seeking them out. Very insightful and often laugh out loud humor from the Joss Whedon commentary. I would add Joss to the list of my favorite director's to listen to along with PJ and Guillermo Del Toro. Putting aside the insights he shares into the film making process, he has a great sense of humor and I can tell that the man is a true fan of the sandbox he is playing in. One of the best moments in the commentary for me was Joss mentioning the use of classical music in the scene where Loki crashes the party and scans the guy's eyeball. When I first saw the movie in the theater, my jaw dropped that a director somehow managed to have classical music in a super hero movie Cool ( it's Schubert btw...)

The gag reel is good fun ( especially Thor having a bit of trouble catching his hammer Laugh )

There is also a delightful short titled 'Marvel One Shot : Item 47" Which is about a couple who find an alien gun that dropped from the closing portal....

The deleted scenes are.....meh.

The 'featurettes' aren't numerous and extensive, but all contain some insight or interview worth checking out if you are a big fan of the film. I paid $19.99 for the blu ray, and haven't wasted a penny Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.