Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Another Daily Telegraph article

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 10:33am

Post #1 of 7 (558 views)
Shortcut
Another Daily Telegraph article Can't Post

here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/9575599/The-Hobbit-unearths-a-hoard-of-myths.html

- very readable. Incidentally, Tolkien took the Telegraph - IIRC, he used to enjoy the crossword.

(This post was edited by geordie on Oct 1 2012, 10:33am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 12:39pm

Post #2 of 7 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thank you geordie..from somone 7 timezones away/// [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 1 2012, 2:37pm

Post #3 of 7 (211 views)
Shortcut
Should be a Must Read. [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Howse presents core Tolkien-isms gracefully and with clarity. He does a good job parsing out the difference between Tolkien's books and Jackson's movies. As is often the case, it comes down to a difference of intentions -- a resolution disarming to all but the most rabid fans of either (or both). The opening paragraph is the tightest comment I've seen on the subject:

"The tale of The Hobbit will survive the film (with Billy Connolly as a dwarf warrior and Stephen Fry as the mayor of Lake-town) in the same way that the Iliad survived the film Troy (with Brad Pitt as Achilles). For The Hobbit, published 75 years ago, is not a fantasy-adventure as it is being described, but a myth, or part of a mythology."

Source: The Hobbit unearths a hoard of myths

On the subject of eucatastrophe, a blip appeared: I'm not sure whether the author inserted an editorial comment -- which could be viewed as ironic, given the understanding on display throughout the piece -- or if that is how Tolkien viewed the events in question? Not that I want to discuss it here.Wink

That one (small) question aside, yes, the article is very readable... In troth, it should be labelled "a must mead." Thank you Geordie!

squire
Valinor

Oct 1 2012, 10:46pm

Post #4 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
Rough around the edges [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to read something in the popular press that tries to bring out the sophistication of Tolkien's work. But Howse works too hard for my taste to blend The Hobbit in with The Lord of the Rings and even The Silmarillion, much the same as Mr. Jackson aspires to do.

Although its style overlaps that of LotR more than Howse admits, The Hobbit, like a certain Leaf, has a charm all its own. And within the bounds of that charm (for instance) Gollum is still Gollum, not Smeagol at all; Tolkien generally had too much linguistic taste to repeat the same joke twice in the same story. No one in their right mind would try to rewrite Bilbo's tale in epic hexameters - because it's not an epic. Heck, it's not really a myth - it's sort of a timeless fable masquerading as an adventure memoir in bedtime-story form. And Bilbo does live happily ever after - the book says so.

(Oh, and since I do enjoy dictionaries, at least in moderation: in LotR Rohirric is rendered in Old English specifically because it is not a variant of Westron, but one of the Mannish tongues ancestral to it. Humpf.)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 6:58pm

Post #5 of 7 (129 views)
Shortcut
Just so. But... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although its style overlaps that of LotR more than Howse admits, The Hobbit, like a certain Leaf, has a charm all its own. And within the bounds of that charm (for instance) Gollum is still Gollum, not Smeagol at all; Tolkien generally had too much linguistic taste to repeat the same joke twice in the same story. No one in their right mind would try to rewrite Bilbo's tale in epic hexameters - because it's not an epic. Heck, it's not really a myth - it's sort of a timeless fable masquerading as an adventure memoir in bedtime-story form. And Bilbo does live happily ever after - the book says so.

As you say, The Hobbit has not been re-told in epic hexameters; however, the book has been translated into Latin.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

FarFromHome
Valinor

Oct 3 2012, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
So Smaug and Smeagol... [In reply to] Can't Post

are cousins under the skin? Very nice! It's true, of course, as squire says, that "Smeagol" isn't in the same book as Smaug, since Gollum's backstory was only invented later for LotR. But since to Tolkien it was after all one "legendarium", it's pretty clear that in hindsight he enjoyed the parallel and wove a clue to it into the names. So you could say that Bilbo repeats the same adventure twice, in two different "modes" - go underground, meet a scary monster, have a battle of wits with it, and ultimately (by luck as well as his own moral courage) win its treasure. Gollum appears to be the lesser challenge, yet in the end (i.e. once the LotR afterthoughts are applied to the story), it's his treasure that turns out to be the greater.

Tolkien loved the idea of telling variations of the same basic story in different parts of his legendarium, and in different "modes". For example, there's Aragorn and Arwen repeating the mythic story of Beren and Luthien, and Frodo and Sam repeating other parts of their adventures in their own inimitable hobbit style. I'd certainly never thought of Gollum and Smaug as two versions of the same tale, but it's a very neat idea, I find!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2012, 11:52am

Post #7 of 7 (211 views)
Shortcut
That was a good read :) THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.