Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
two new song parodies.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2012, 3:40am

Views: 352
Shortcut
two new song parodies. Can't Post

These next couple of song parody lyrics are based on songs from Les Miserables, the stage musical adaptation of Victor Hugo's eponymous novel.
Coincidentally, a film adaptation of the musical is coming out the same month as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

These parodies are intended as part of my ongoing project, Les MORDORserables, a collection of parodies of songs from Les Miserables as a fresh way of creatively retelling LOTR and in some ways to give homage to PJ's adaptation. I happen to be a fan the music of Les Mis as well as Tolkien's works about Middle Earth, and PJ's LOTR adaptation, and this project is aimed at both fanbases, especially where they intersect.

I've posted other lyrics from that project previously, One Day Mordor (One Day More), Calas Galedhon (Castle on a Cloud), and At the End of an Age (At the End of the Day).

Of these two new ones, the first one that I call All You Have to Decide is based on Stars, the number sung by the Les Mis character Inspector Javert, wherein he swears by the stars he will apprehend the main protagonist Jean Valjean. Here, it becomes Gandalf's prescient response to Frodo's spoken wish that the Ring had never come to him, and to Frodo's stated preference, at the time, that Bilbo had slain Gollum when he had the chance.

GANDALF (to Frodo)

There
Out in the darkness
A creature is crawling
Fallen from grace
Fallen from grace
Frodo, bear witness:
He's drawn to the Ring
Till you come face to face,

Till you come face to face.
He has no choice, he is lost,
But you have the choice to decide
What to do with the time that you have,
With the time you're supplied,

And maybe pity will stay your hand,
Put blade aside . . . .

Death,
'Tis a certitude.
Jump not to judgment
On who may deserve it.
If Gollum had died,
Our ends may differ now,
We cannot be sure
What's in store down the line,

What's in store down the line.
My heart tells me, in time,
There’s a part he will play
Ere the end, but for good or for ill,
Not the wisest can say.

Maybe the pity of Bilbo will rule
The One Ring's fate.

So it may be,
And may be written
In the Red Book of Westmarch,
That when pity stayed Bilbo's hand
Our fate was marked.

Frodo you'll find him
And you'll be faced with
Your turn to take sides,
What to do with
The time you're supplied,
That's your time to decide!

This next one, The Road Goes Ever On, is based on . Do You Hear the People Sing , the rallying number led by the student revolutionary leader Enjolras. Here it becomes the Hobbits' walking song.

(The FOUR HOBBITS are walking)

FRODO

How the Road goes ever on
Down from the door where it began!
Now far ahead the road has gone and I
Must follow if I can.
I pursue with weary feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
Whither? Cannot say.

PIPPIN

Now our home, it stays behind and
Wilder world, it lies ahead
Through shadows in the night
Are many paths we have to tread
Through twilight and mist that will fade all away...

MERRY

Then to bed!

ALL

Must follow if I can.
I pursue with weary feet
Whither? Cannot say.

SAM

Round the corner there may wait
And though we pass them by today,
A new door or secret gate,
Tomorrow we may come this way.
The sand and the stone and the pool and the dell ....

FRODO and MERRY join in

... Fare you well!

ALL

Must follow if I can.
I pursue with weary feet
Whither? Cannot say!!!

So, should this project become a stage musical, along the same vein as Fellowship! but more serious/heartfelt, orchestral accompaniment, professional Broadway performers and all that? Or would it feel redundant, in light of the LOTR stage musical that ran in Toronto and London? Would either Les Mis or LOTR fans be turned off by this parody? Feedback please.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Subject User Time
two new song parodies. Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 1 2012, 3:40am
    Well, I'm in favour Nightingale Send a private message to Nightingale Oct 1 2012, 5:42pm
        hahaha! Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 9 2012, 12:26pm
    Very nice! Ring-Bearer Send a private message to Ring-Bearer Oct 3 2012, 2:38am
        Thank you :-) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 9 2012, 12:18pm
    Les Mor! What a wonderful collection you're building :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Oct 4 2012, 1:02am
        Thank you gramma :-) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 9 2012, 12:22pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.