Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There are a lot of Bombur fat jokes in the book

kzer_za
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 12:51am

Views: 1989
Shortcut
There are a lot of Bombur fat jokes in the book Can't Post

I'm about halfway through my latest reread and I'm struck by how much "fat Bombur" humor there is. Almost every time Bombur comes up individually, Tolkien says "he was fat." There's lots of physical comedy involving him - crushing people at the door with his weight, falling in a river, getting tired running, and more. I actually think Tolkien may have gone too far with the Bombur jokes - Gandalf and Thorin even make fun of his weight! He does appear to be one of the more capable fighters, though (gives the trolls a hard time).

Even LotR has a Bombur fat joke in Many Meetings.

So if Peter Jackson goes overboard in this case, it won't be because it wasn't in the text. My hope is that Bombur will have a little more to him than that, though. He is the only married dwarf besides Gloin, after all.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Oct 1 2012, 12:56am)

Subject User Time
There are a lot of Bombur fat jokes in the book kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 1 2012, 12:51am
    The complaining is going to be funny Carne Send a private message to Carne Oct 1 2012, 12:57am
        Yep. Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Oct 1 2012, 1:24am
            Tolkien's humor is subtle Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Oct 1 2012, 1:33am
                Tolkien not subtle squitzl Send a private message to squitzl Oct 1 2012, 1:53am
                    Thank you for standing up against revisionist readers! Milknut Send a private message to Milknut Oct 1 2012, 1:58am
                    I found the humor subtle Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Oct 1 2012, 2:02am
                        That's a good point squitzl Send a private message to squitzl Oct 1 2012, 2:05am
                            Welcome, squitzl! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Oct 1 2012, 3:10am
                                I Like that idea :) squitzl Send a private message to squitzl Oct 1 2012, 3:18am
                                agreed redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Oct 1 2012, 6:13am
                            But... marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Oct 1 2012, 5:35am
                                Agreed, to an extent Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Oct 1 2012, 6:26am
                                    Ehhh, yeah I feel ya. redgiraffe Send a private message to redgiraffe Oct 1 2012, 6:54am
                                    Gandalf says "You're fat enough to count for two people" kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 1 2012, 2:10pm
                                        It maybe Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Oct 1 2012, 2:52pm
                                Regarding the carrying of Bombur. Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Oct 2 2012, 8:09am
                                    I would like it to be sort of darkly humorous kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 1:42pm
                                    Exactly Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Oct 2 2012, 4:40pm
                                        There are two reasons I expect movie Bombur to be more than just a fat joke kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 6:17pm
                                        Difficulty with furniture is a real issue for overweight people in real life. Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Oct 3 2012, 3:33pm
                        This subtlety business... comandantedavid Send a private message to comandantedavid Oct 1 2012, 4:00pm
                Not so subtle // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Oct 2 2012, 1:11pm
            It's always nice to describe people as "them" Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Oct 1 2012, 2:38am
    I would imagine Ring-Bearer Send a private message to Ring-Bearer Oct 1 2012, 3:30am
        my favorite bit of Bombur-ness There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain Oct 1 2012, 3:41am
    i expect there will be quite a few "slapsticks" triptrap Send a private message to triptrap Oct 1 2012, 7:09am
    Given that PJ Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Oct 1 2012, 7:40am
    Which is why I worry about the other dwarves stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Oct 1 2012, 11:23am
        thing is, Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Oct 1 2012, 1:26pm
    To note a few things Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Oct 1 2012, 1:52pm
        Great post R11 Send a private message to R11 Oct 1 2012, 9:29pm
            Hmmmm Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Oct 1 2012, 9:47pm
            Agreed Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Oct 1 2012, 10:05pm
            The book itself is very childish. Beutlin Send a private message to Beutlin Oct 1 2012, 10:15pm
            Way to jump the gun. // Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Oct 1 2012, 10:27pm
            The Hobbit is mostly comic kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 2:08am
                The book does not Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Oct 2 2012, 2:38am
                    I agree, but macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Oct 2 2012, 9:40am
                    Maybe not a "barrage" kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 1:40pm
                        I think its more Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Oct 2 2012, 2:47pm
            I totally agree with your post Elenorflower Send a private message to Elenorflower Oct 2 2012, 8:15am
        We're reminded that Bombur is fat right when he's getting tired kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 2:13am
            running with baggins Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Oct 2 2012, 12:01pm
    Just as long as PJ doesn't have Bombur say he's "big boned" DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Oct 1 2012, 3:19pm
    "Bombur's so fat, he needs six people to carry him to dinner" kzer_za Send a private message to kzer_za Oct 2 2012, 2:09am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.