Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you left faced or right faced? Facedness (yes, it's a word) and musical ability
Poll: Are you left faced or right faced? Facedness (yes, it's a word) and musical ability
Right faced
Left faced
Fairly symetrical
Naturally very musical
Musical, but have had to work hard at it
Appreciate music, but no musical ability
Little (or no) appreciation or ability
Other
View Results (66 votes)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2012, 5:06am

Post #1 of 11 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Are you left faced or right faced? Facedness (yes, it's a word) and musical ability Can't Post

There is some evidence that facial dominance is associated with musical ability.

Here's a short article:
http://voiceclassicsstudio.com/student_info/dominant_side_of_face.html

I first came across this concept in an English as a Foreign Language textbook that adapted newspaper and magazine articles for reading exercises. The one I read was slightly different than the one above, but the upshot of both is: Most people are right faced - the right side of their faces are dominant - but the majority of people with great musical ability are left faced.

The first article I read said that you can check your dominance by looking in a mirror and smiling and raising your eyebrows. You will normally see that your mouth, cheek, and eyebrow will rise higher on one side than the other - your dominant side. Well. I did this and it turns out I'm left faced. I must be a musical genius! But, alas, no Unsure Whereas, according to these articles, most musical geniuses are left faced, not all left faced people are musical geniuses.Tongue

So, get out your mirrors and smile! Are you left or right faced? There are two parts to the poll - one concerning facedness, one musical ability.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Sep 30 2012, 5:08am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 30 2012, 8:15am

Post #2 of 11 (608 views)
Shortcut
Statistics don't necessarily work both ways. [In reply to] Can't Post

If most musical folks are left-faced, that doesn't necessarily mean most left-faced people are musical! There aren't many statistics in that article, but if 10% of people are left-faced, it may be that only 10% of those are musically gifted.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 9:37am

Post #3 of 11 (669 views)
Shortcut
Do you know how ridiculous you're making us all look ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't notice much difference, but perhaps ever so slightly right-faced ... I could just have a wonky face though Laugh

This is probably a good thing, since I have little appreciation for music. I don't listen to music recreationally, only the radio when I commute to work. I do enjoy music though (Shore's mucic for instance), and I did play the trombone. So I'm probably somewhere in between.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1 2012, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 11 (590 views)
Shortcut
Left-faced (although it's very slight) and musical [In reply to] Can't Post

In those "eight intelligences" tests I come out highest in music. Not a genius, but I always could sing on key and make up harmonies - I just "hear" them in my head.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 1 2012, 8:10pm

Post #5 of 11 (537 views)
Shortcut
Very much right faced [In reply to] Can't Post

I can raise my right eyebrow without moving the left one. Couldn't even dream of doing it the other way around.

I'm not very musical, but I wouldn't consider myself completely un-musical either. I've just never really tried to learn to play an intrument. I can pick up and play tunes on a keyboard based on hearing, but I've never learned to play properly.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Oct 1 2012, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (525 views)
Shortcut
Left faced and fairly musical! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 2 2012, 3:49am

Post #7 of 11 (643 views)
Shortcut
Very weird: Left eyebrow higher, right smile higher, very musical (professional, and [In reply to] Can't Post

started playing at age 3). But not nearly any kind of genius. So does the fact that one of each thing being higher make one a moderately good musician? (And what about all that practicing! And all I really had to do was practice smiling higher on my left side!!WinkAngelicEvil)

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Oct 2 2012, 3:53am)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 4 2012, 2:19pm

Post #8 of 11 (621 views)
Shortcut
Well, a mirror is not handy at the moment. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sitting at the oil -change place.

But I can raise my right eyebrow independently, but not my left. I smirk by raising the left side of my mouth. I smile with the right side of my mouth a little higher.
I can play a little by ear on the piano and flute, but if I want to play for real, I have to work hard at it.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 10 2012, 8:42pm

Post #9 of 11 (488 views)
Shortcut
left faced [In reply to] Can't Post

left handed, but cack handed at music and maths, but my right hand is stronger, which is weird. I do all 'horrible' jobs with my right hand so maybe thats why.

Blush

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2012, 10:27pm

Post #10 of 11 (737 views)
Shortcut
If you heard me hammering away at the piano... [In reply to] Can't Post

you'd have to say no musical ability. But I appreciate it, I guess that's something. Reminds me of Salieri.

Ioreth
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 9:52pm

Post #11 of 11 (513 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

left faced and musical (playing several instruments and singing in two choirs)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.