Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Doctor Who: the angels take manhattan

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 29 2012, 8:10pm

Post #1 of 21 (425 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who: the angels take manhattan Can't Post

That was brilliant..........

but sad Frown

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 8:14pm

Post #2 of 21 (199 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't it just! - - Spoilers within [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was the end once they had jumped off the building. Then they woke up in the graveyard, and I thought it was going to be okay. And then, *bam*. Zapped back into time.

Definitely a shocker. Full of emotion. A great send off. And what a great end - it wasn't a dream after all!

One little niggle - what about Brian Pond? That needed to be wrapped up somehow.

Frown

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 29 2012, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 21 (183 views)
Shortcut
spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, poor brian.

A online mini episode where the Doctor tells him what happened could be filmed, but could make me cry..........

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

zarabia
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2012, 12:39am

Post #4 of 21 (208 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it yet so I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm intrigued :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hurry up, DVD!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 30 2012, 9:38am

Post #5 of 21 (187 views)
Shortcut
Definitely stay away from any spoilers or reviews - much better knowing nothing of the episode / [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Sep 30 2012, 11:09pm

Post #6 of 21 (165 views)
Shortcut
~whimper~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Just... ~whimper~
Am going off statues rapidly... The programme is so clever - takes something ordinary and everyday that people are used to and don't really think about, and then twists it. Nice one, writers!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2012, 1:08pm

Post #7 of 21 (145 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant, [In reply to] Can't Post

Got to have my cake and eat it, too. That's all I'll say of it. Excellent finale! Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 3:08am

Post #8 of 21 (149 views)
Shortcut
Afraid I'm in the "not so impressed" camp. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, this episode felt intellectually lazy and a little bit insulting. Don't Amy and Rory deserve a better send off? The opening doesn't mesh with the rest of the episode and the Statue of Liberty making it all the way across town without somebody observing it is just... ugh. Seriously? I've been less than impressed since Moffat took over as show runner, and I'm really at a loss. I was impossibly excited when it was first announced after Davies stepped down and I never would have thought it would have ended up this way. I expected so much more from the man who gave us "The Girl in the Fireplace," "The Empty Child," "The Doctor Dances," "Blink," "Silence in the Library," and "The Forest of the Dead," and I feel pretty let down with his show run so far. I had hoped that after the disastrous usage of the Weeping Angels last season that maybe we would get some angels as creepy as the first ones we saw, but I was let down.

Sorry, Amy and Rory, maybe we'll see you later for a better send off. I can hope, at least.

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

alienorchid
Lorien

Oct 3 2012, 7:30am

Post #9 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
I agree, actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

I cried, I admit it! I am a latecomer to Doctor Who, I only started watching at the beginning of Matt Smith's first series, so Amy, Rory & The Doctor is my first Doctor/Companion combo, so I'm pretty emotionally attached to them! I also just love the relationship the three of them share.

That's partially why I was so disappointed. The ending wasn't emotionally satisfying, and I felt like they didn't take advantage of the plot devices they had set up, like the PI, the collector guy, and the Statue of Liberty. They were all interesting elements, but just kind of petered off. It seems like Eleven can't do goodbyes as well as Ten could. I don't know, could just be the directing or the writing.

I haven't been happy with this season at all. I feel like there is a big build up in each episode, but the climax just falls flat. Maybe having a new companion will revitalise the show, but I'm not holding my breath.

I will keep watching, but boyfriend and I are going to re-watch some of Ten's series at the same time :)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 3 2012, 6:40pm

Post #10 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
I agree that the epsiode was quite sloppy [In reply to] Can't Post

And it had more plot holes than a sieve! It should have been 30 minutes longer, just to build up more tension and add more depth to the story. I still loved it though.

In all, I quite enjoyed the series. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a let down, but A Town Called Mercy was fantastic.

This is how I'd rank them:

1= Daleks, Angels, Mercy
2 - Power of Three
3 - Dinosaurs

alienorchid
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 2:33am

Post #11 of 21 (128 views)
Shortcut
Power of Three was probably my favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

so far, and not just because it involved Matt Smith's shirt coming off :P (I shamelessly have a huge crush on him, which is very unusual for me. I don't normally get celebrity crushes!)

It was one of the more original plot lines in this series, though I also really liked A Town Called Mercy.

I think Dinosaurs on a Spaceship suffered from the same problem as the Angels Take Manhattan - really awesome elements that they just didn't take advantage of. It *could* have been really awesome, so that missed potential made it kind of disappointing.

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 6:01pm

Post #12 of 21 (134 views)
Shortcut
You're right about the interesting pieces. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's still coming up with interesting ideas, but the follow-through has been terrible. Every episode sort of falls apart before the end. The only episode I've truly enjoyed this season was "The Power of Three," and even that one stumbled over the finish line.

I share your skepticism about the show making a come back with a new companion. Amy, Rory, and The Doctor are all acting their hearts out, but at the end of the day it isn't their fault that they can't distract me from all the bad writing and directing. These companions had so much potential, particularly Rory, who, in my opinion, had the largest character arc. And what was poor Rory's reward? No send off of any kind.

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Oct 4 2012, 6:04pm

Post #13 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
Also, The Statue of Liberty is made of metal, not stone, for crying out loud. [In reply to] Can't Post

But who cares about little details that totally blow apart all the rules, right?

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2012, 6:15pm

Post #14 of 21 (139 views)
Shortcut
And there must be a pair of eyes looking at it at all times! It's the Statue of Liberty! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2012, 2:01am

Post #15 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
I agree (on both counts!) and (possible spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

Brian needs to meet his granddaughter!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2012, 2:09am

Post #16 of 21 (131 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the overuse of angels and [In reply to] Can't Post

a general lack of emotional investment, I've found, in the Moffatt era. Though the fact that

SPOILER ALERT

Rory and Amy end up together for a lifetime, rather than dead, separated, stripped of their memories or otherwise maimed is a vast improvement over the outcomes for any other companions of recent years. I was pleasantly surprised/relieved.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Oct 5 2012, 2:09am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Oct 5 2012, 2:55am

Post #17 of 21 (154 views)
Shortcut
Good point! Also.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the angel at the end is still being seen by Amy, The Doctor, and River.. but is still able to transport them when they (Amy and Rory) look away from it, so how come the Statue of Liberty angel didn't transport Rory when he looked away, but Amy was still looking at it? I don't know, there's just some continuity stuff that didn't quite work out.

Still, it's not going to stop me from watching it! For a show that's been around for so long, there are always going to be great parts, mediocre parts, and terrible parts. It's inevitable!

alienorchid
Lorien

Oct 5 2012, 3:00am

Post #18 of 21 (108 views)
Shortcut
I think it would be super amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

if Brian got to have another adventure with just him and the Doctor, where he gets to meet River... and even better, would be if he got to meet Donna's granddad (dad? I can't remember) so they could bond over the mixed feelings of having a loved one being companion to The Doctor. On one hand, they know it's dangerous, on the other they can see how amazing it would be to travel with The Doctor and see all of time and space.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 5 2012, 6:54am

Post #19 of 21 (163 views)
Shortcut
I thought of this too [In reply to] Can't Post

And the only explanation I could come up with was that the Angel's arm was the bit of it not being viewed by River or the Doctor, allowing it to touch Amy?

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 5 2012, 3:12pm

Post #20 of 21 (128 views)
Shortcut
agree with everything you said [In reply to] Can't Post

Moffat goes for overwrought rather than genuine emotion, and I wish he'd left the Angels trapped in that parking garage looking at each other. But I can imagine Rory and Amy back in the past saying "okay, decision made, no more Doctor, let's just LIVE." (And of course they could make a killing in the stock market . . . .)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2012, 8:21pm

Post #21 of 21 (195 views)
Shortcut
Oh - HA! That's right, they could!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.