Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, what are your "Hobbit" plans?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 12:32am

Post #1 of 59 (2083 views)
Shortcut
So, what are your "Hobbit" plans? Can't Post

All this stuff and nonsense about the commercial (as opposed to the artistic) side of Sir Peter's current project has got me in a financial state of mind. Believe it or not, all day at work today, in the back of my mind, I was doing some calculations, mentally adjusting my calendar and my bank account, based on current and forseen future projections. This has got me to wondering, where my fellow Tornsibs are in their "Hobbit" preperations? What are your "Hobbit"plans, starting, say, Oct 1st? (seeing as people are lining up in Norway already!?!)
When, how, and in what fps are you planning on seeing it in? Midnight showing? Line parties, and when are YOU planning to line up? Moots? Can you, way early on? Who are you going with,, how many times, etc. What merchandise are you buying, for who, etc etc.
And are you taking any off this stuff seriously? After all, it's just a movieCool (....stage whisper: "NOT." )

I'll make my own list.

--1)Tickets: I happen to be very lucky, and have Wednesdays off from work. So on Wednesday, Nov. 7th I'll be right at my theater of choice, buying in person (I live only minutes away, and besides, on special occasions such as this, I don't trust to Fandango!Smile)

--2)Showings: I plan on going to the midnight showing, at our town's only IMAX theater, they only have one IMAX (or rather, BABYMAX) screen at my local mall 18-plex, and so I have no choice as to the fps. I hope the midnight IMAX showing is in traditonal something. I plan on buying for myself, a friend, and possibly a fellow Albany, NY sib if he wants me to.
Depending on if my town gets 48fps, I'll be seeing it at least 3 times: the midnight showing Dec 13th (14th), once Saturday night (15th), and once the follwing weekend in 48 fps if possible. Once in 3D, once in 2D, and yikes....

3)Check one: (this is according to Empire Magazine's helpful guide to "Hobbit" formats in the October issue--theaters will have to pass out maps with film type keysCrazy showing what theater is what format. Would be cool if it was in the style of Thorin's map.)
-2D 24fps (tradtitional film)
-2D IMAX 24 fps
-3D 24ps (traditional 3D)
(oh yeah, and in the U.S. there's also " REAL" 3D vs some other kind of 3D--and we're still in 24 fps:)
-2D 48fps (this will exist?! It's not enough to tell the ticket lady, "I want 2D, not 3D"--you can't assume it's normal" if it's 24, then--is your head spinning yet?!? Grrr.)
-3D 48fps
-3D IMAX 48fps
(Let me correct that: Is your head EXPLODING YET?!CrazyLaugh
This should also be nteresting b/c with digital, a theater can presumably add or drop formats based on customer demand. If this is the cae, it will be interesting to see which format swiflty proves most popular.)

For me, see above.

4)When are you buying tickets? Where (online or in person? And it would be nice to add what your journey to your theater will be like--distance, methhod of travel, and BTW where you are.)

5)Who are you going with for each showing? How any times will you see it?( Again, for me, see above). .

6) Are you going to a line party?
(Well, as my theater is in a huge shopping mall, the chance of line parties more than 24 hrs in time leght are impossible. At least in winter. Though for The Phantom Menace, that was such a HUGE insane oaccasion, the mall security bent the rules a little, and allowed fans to camp in the parking lot 36 hrs or so in advance. I suspect many of them were childhod fans too. Heck, in 1999 we were all of an age. Even the police.Tongue I could tell some other line stories but I'll save that for later in the thread, after youve shared yours!
I'll be getting out of work at 5 on Thursday and racing directly to the theater, and I know the lnes wll have started early in the morning. Extra sweaters, bag with books, food and drink (something hobbity I am sure like scones and tarts and muffins!) etc.

7) How are you saving money? (I started a Hobbit fund during the summer, which is filling up slower than I hoped, but will, God willing, greatly increase from Nov. 2 on, since due to a quirk of the calendar, I will be getting an extra paycheck that month!)

8) What do you plan to buy?
(Well, Empire magazine is the first essessinal, I still have the LOTR ones, they have the best magazine Tolkien film coverage ands down. All the major magazine articles. I have ENtertainment Weekly subscription already so that doesn;t count. Starting Dec 10 , every USA Today and NY Times issues with HObbit relate stuff in them, I had a ritual of hauting the drugstores every day to look through the paers. I know, I know..I save things, OK?:)I have a big box set for all this.
--all the major tie-in books
--finally buying paperbacks of the HoME, which I have yet to finish
--The BBC LOTR radio recording, someone give me info on the name of this and if Band Noble carries it--you know, Ian Holm as Frodo)
--the soundtracks, of course
--I will FINALLy complete my "mission-quest-thing" to acquire The LOTR Complete Recordings, which I couldnt afford back then, AND Doug's Music of LOTR book, ditto
--Any Hobbit-related books of same
--MAYBE a Tuariel figure (funny, I never liked toy tie-insl but someone gave me a Arwen on her palfrey action figure and love it)
--besides, the DVD's, any EE's IF we have them, though if each film is 2 hrs long I don't know if we will
-a 2013 Hobbit calendar of course
--THe Frodo Franchise" in paperback, my hard-cover is getting dog-eared
--I have LOTR Monopoly and I'd love to have TH same

That's all I can think of, for now--as to its importance--that too for later!

-

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Sep 29 2012, 12:38am)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 29 2012, 1:01am

Post #2 of 59 (1043 views)
Shortcut
That is alot to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

I will take your post a little at a time. I will probably post again to answer some questions. (Hope that's okay.)
I'll start with tickets. I don't know when I will get ticket s. My exams end on the day the Hobbit is released, and it would be great to celebrate the end of the semester by seeing the Hobbit. But I don't know if I should purchase tickets in advance, if I should just go the day it comes out, or wait a few days and buy tickets the day I go see it. It's something I'm not too sure about yet. I will see the Hobbit, and I really want to see it, I just haven't come to terms yet of when I should get tickets. It'll also depend who I'm going with, which I will answer in another post.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 29 2012, 1:27am

Post #3 of 59 (1040 views)
Shortcut
I know there are Other Colorado Peeps here..I'd love to see it with [In reply to] Can't Post

Them..PM Bomby..and lets make plans.

Nienna
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 2:31am

Post #4 of 59 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Decisions to make ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved your post. I’ve been so busy of late that I haven’t had time to post, but you’ve reminded me of times past and the excitement ahead.

I went to the LOTR movies with a non-Tolkien friend. At the time of ROTK my mother was dying and I felt I couldn’t leave her. My friend thought that I needed a break and arranged things with both the cinema and the resthome – if my mother worsened they knew how to contact me. It was marvellous to watch the movie and to have some time away.

While I have no doubt my friend was thinking mainly of me - he knew how much I loved Tolkien and the movies - I suspect he was also thinking of himself as he has always said that he wouldn’t have bothered going to any of the movies if it hadn’t been for me explaining things to him.

This time things are again a little different. In Christchurch we have so few movie theatres as most have been demolished because of the earthquakes. It has meant that we often have to go to movies at a day or time that wouldn’t normally suit. I will be going to whichever cinema is showing the movie.

But I do have to decide when – my movie friend lives in another city and comes to Christchurch for the summer holidays – but this time he arrives a little later than normal – so do I wait a week and go with him, or do I go straight away and then go a second time with him? I strongly suspect that it will be the latter!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 3:16am

Post #5 of 59 (1040 views)
Shortcut
First viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Will be 2D, 24fps, a weekday matinee showing with my wife four or five days after opening night. Hopefully, with no more than 15 or so other people in the audience.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 3:57am

Post #6 of 59 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Top movie of the year? Only 15 people in the audience? Even in backwater towns out in the East Coast you still draw much greater crowds for smaller movies Wink Best of luck to ya.

First viewing shall be the whole shabang, myself. Using it as my birthday present, and while I'll be unable to catch it opening day, I will go to any expense to get to an IMAX theater for spectacular 48 fps 3D! There's no reason to hold off the revolution, my friends!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 4:04am

Post #7 of 59 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Early screening at noon or early afternoon on a Tuesday or Wednesday [In reply to] Can't Post

Shouldn't have too many people there, no matter how big the movie...

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 4:15am

Post #8 of 59 (977 views)
Shortcut
Some friends and I have started a book club [In reply to] Can't Post

solely for the purpose of the movie release. We're reading a book a month, culminating in The Hobbit for November/December. After that final meeting we're heading out to see the film. Still don't know where, but would LOVE to attend a party of some kind in the Southern California area. We'll see what pops up!

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 5:12am

Post #9 of 59 (985 views)
Shortcut
Plans and savings [In reply to] Can't Post

If I could get a hold of some of that troll gold, I am very tempted to hop the Tasman to New Zealand, as in Australia we don't get the film until the 26th of December. Not for the premier, (am otherwise engaged) but for the general release on the 14th of December!

Funding is tight though!

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 6:17am

Post #10 of 59 (961 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will buy tickets as soon as they become available and will go to whatever is the earliest showing in 2D I can go to on the day it's released (which is 12/12/12 in Finland). Unfortunately I'll probably have to skip any midnight showing though. I'll probably go alone on Wednesday when it comes out and try to drag some friends with me during the weekend when I go see it again (and again and again).

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 29 2012, 7:32am

Post #11 of 59 (968 views)
Shortcut
I have not firmed up plans [In reply to] Can't Post

though quite a fef of the Tolkienistas here in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area are in discussions. It sounds like we might be going to the midnight showing at The Mall of America.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Sep 29 2012, 7:37am)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 29 2012, 7:36am

Post #12 of 59 (957 views)
Shortcut
I went to see all the LOTR films with my grandmother [In reply to] Can't Post

I plan on doing the same with the hobbit Smile

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Rolfina
Rivendell

Sep 29 2012, 7:43am

Post #13 of 59 (935 views)
Shortcut
Everything is under control [In reply to] Can't Post

Have already reserved holiday for the 13th, as I expect there to be a midnight showing the previous night. I don't know when tickets will go on sale, but I have the theatres newsletter (the only theatre showing movies in original language), so I expect to know in time. Going with my friend and my brother. After that probably go y myself one or two more times. Maybe have to do a German screening for the sake of my friend, don't know if I will be able to endure it.
I've recently preordered two of the books being released beginning of November. Need to find a colleague to bring me Empire Mags from London business trips, that won't be a problem. Sondtrack, might actually buy as :gasp: CD for the shelf, and not merely through itunes as I have grown accustomed to. And anxoiusly looking forward to getting a poster for my workplace. Don't know yet about memorabilia, but a calendar should be considered.

Once more dreamt of PJ last night. Blush He still hasn't invited me to a premiere although each time I have this dream I have dropped hints like anvils on him But we had a glass of wine, and he keeps offering me jobs. Unsure

ryanw8
The Shire

Sep 29 2012, 7:50am

Post #14 of 59 (929 views)
Shortcut
Haven't made up my mind yet.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I know I will be seeing this multiple times in the cinemas. It's my first viewing I need to make a decision on.

I live near Los Angeles, so I assume finding a 48 fps screening won't be a problem. I can make the trip to ArcLight Hollywood, where there is reserved seating (less lines) and the latest film presentation tech. I'm just not sure if my first screening should be in 48 fps or not.

Should I focus on story, structure, and characters first rather than marveling at the technical side of the film? That is what I'm leaning towards now. I know many of you are planning to see the new frame rate right away though too. What would you guys suggest? Either way, I will be coming back for multiple viewings, as I am a film student.

I'm not a huge fan of 3D, but I do trust Jackson to use it well, just like Scorsese did with Hugo. I also am interested in seeing how the frame rate will affect my opinion of it. But do I wait until after I see the film once?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 8:14am

Post #15 of 59 (937 views)
Shortcut
*Writes to do list* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignoring any personal opinions, is 3D IMAX 48fps the "best" option?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 8:35am

Post #16 of 59 (914 views)
Shortcut
not very extensive plans [In reply to] Can't Post

IŽll probably see AUJ twice. The first time I want to see it with my husband and several friends (probably 5). WeŽll probably wait to see it 3-4 days after the premiere. We all prefer to see the film in the evening, not on a midnight showing. IŽll buy the tickets online.

The second time I havenŽt decided on yet. Perhaps IŽll go with one of my sisters.

I would prefer to see the film in 2D first, so IŽll have to check where this option is available as IŽm sure the majority of screenings in the major cinemas will be in 3D.

IŽll buy the DVDŽs of course, probably EEs if this option will be available. I might buy an art print or a poster if I find anything I like, but apart from that IŽm not planning on buying Hobbit merchandise or tie-ins, IŽve never been particularly interested in that kind of things; not a collector you see. IŽll probably buy the BBC LoTR radio recordings sometime next year, though.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 9:10am

Post #17 of 59 (933 views)
Shortcut
Such plans for a movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Um... my plan is basically this: walk into local cinema when I have time to watch the movie, buy ticket on spot and watch it. Period.
No saving money required, no elaborate plans required either.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 29 2012, 9:46am

Post #18 of 59 (916 views)
Shortcut
Not many plans really [In reply to] Can't Post

- One 2D 24fps screening in the local cinema with my dad
- One 3D 48fps IMAX screening in the city of Rotterdam with some friends. That is, if 48fps is available.
- Soundtrack on cd

That is the minimum plan :-P

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Sep 29 2012, 9:48am)

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 29 2012, 10:43am

Post #19 of 59 (876 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should ask [In reply to] Can't Post

I just this week emailed my best friend the information about The Hobbit. I've taken a half day off work & we'll meet for lunch before seeing an early afternoon show. We will see it in 3D but I'm not sure what other options will be available. I plan to see it at least one more time with my eight year old granddaughter in 2D.

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Sep 29 2012, 11:05am

Post #20 of 59 (878 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to try to keep it low-key [In reply to] Can't Post

No overnight line parties or advance ticket purchases for me. I'm not too keen on trying to duplicate the camping out stunt I did for Trilogy Tuesday 9 years ago.

Back then I was single, in college, and maybe a little too caught up in the pop culture excitement. Now I'm a 34 year old father of 3 who works late nights; the energy just isn't there.

I plan to watch the film probably on the Saturday of opening weekend, in 24 fps 2d with my wife, and leave the kids with a sitter (they're all too small for anything more sophisticated than Winnie the Pooh.) Keeping it a low-key family thing for the first showing is how I want to experience the movie the first time, like I did with FOTR.

Then I'm hoping I can catch a showing during the following week in 3D at the new IMAX theater at the mall here in Lubbock, assuming they finally have the place open by then Crazy

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 11:14am

Post #21 of 59 (885 views)
Shortcut
I will watch it on 12/12/12 [In reply to] Can't Post

And hopefully buy the OST before that.

(Yeah, we get to see the movie 2 days before America and England! Woot! Tongue )

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Sep 29 2012, 2:47pm

Post #22 of 59 (820 views)
Shortcut
The question now is... [In reply to] Can't Post

does one listen to the soundtrack before watching the film?

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2012, 2:50pm

Post #23 of 59 (818 views)
Shortcut
The answer is no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never do that. For me, it spoils it.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 3:24pm

Post #24 of 59 (796 views)
Shortcut
I won't [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the spoilers (and speculation), but if I listen to the soundtrack, I'll be waiting for my favourite pieces to turn up. Also, it's nice for one thing not to be totally spoiled for the first viewing.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 29 2012, 3:29pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2012, 3:53pm

Post #25 of 59 (785 views)
Shortcut
I don't really have any Hobbit plans [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I find it impressive that you do. Smile

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.