Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What TV-shows do you watch?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paperC
Rivendell

Sep 28 2012, 10:19am

Post #1 of 43 (1345 views)
Shortcut
What TV-shows do you watch? Can't Post

Hi Guys! Many of my favorite shows, like House and Lost, has quit, so I need some new ones to follow. What are some good one you can recommend? Cheers

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 10:57am

Post #2 of 43 (988 views)
Shortcut
Two HBO series [In reply to] Can't Post

Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones. Both are great.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 28 2012, 11:37am

Post #3 of 43 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Doctor Who, Sherlock and game of thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Marionette
Rohan

Sep 28 2012, 2:02pm

Post #4 of 43 (772 views)
Shortcut
Comedies [In reply to] Can't Post

My favs shows are quite few cuz not a fan of tv series these days unless they are old:

The Big Bang Theory mostly, and Mike and Molly

But I can watch the other comedies, like Two Broke Girls.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 3:08pm

Post #5 of 43 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Touch, Sherlock, Downtown Abbey, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have cable and most of broadcast tv is kind of a lost cause, these days.

Cable shows or old tv I watched on DVD:
Game of Thrones
Doctor Who
Burn Notice
White Collar
Leverage
Fairly Legal
Warehouse 13
Justified

Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
Legend of the Seeker
Being Human (UK)
Life on Mars (UK)
Torchwood
Firefly
Stargate Universe (apparently I was one of the few people who liked it)
Dead Like Me
Wonderfalls
MI5 / Spooks
Primeval
Life
Threshold
Robin Hood (the new one with Richard Armitage - it's so/so but has some redeeming qualities)

Lark Rise to Candleford
Hamish MacBeth
Monarch of the Glen

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

diedye
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2012, 3:28pm

Post #6 of 43 (772 views)
Shortcut
My list... [In reply to] Can't Post

These are the ones that I try to never miss...

NCIS
NCIS: LA
Grimm
Fringe
Supernatural
Person of Interest
Bones
Doctor Who
Masterpiece Mystery
Downton Abbey
a lot of PBS

Those that I watch whenever I come across them are...

Criminal Minds
Blue Bloods
Hawaii Five-0
Once Upon A Time
The Mentalist
Castle
Touch
CSI: NY

I used to watch CSI but gave up when Grissom left. The only comedy I used to watch was Two and a Half Men until Charlie Sheen went into idiot mode. And, for the most part, I avoid Reality TV like the plague.

(Well, okay... I do watch SOME reality TV... but it's mostly on the Discovery Channel and TLC, such as Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Cake Boss and that Psychic woman... she's just so out-there it's hilarious to watch people's reactions to her big hair, big mouth and the news that she talks to the dead.)

I haven't mentioned the ones that I've watched but are not currently on the air or that I watch via DVD because I don't have specialty channels and have to wait till they're released on DVD.

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

(This post was edited by diedye on Sep 28 2012, 3:30pm)

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Sep 28 2012, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 43 (776 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Sherlock. Of course i didn't begin watching it till episode 2 of the second season, but I've watched a billion clips on youtube and read the plotlines a dozen times on wikipedia. I refuse to watch Elementrary. I wasn't sure if I would or not at first, but when i heard it was Sherlock in NEW YORK, that's just wrong.
Also Once Upon a Time. When there are any good stars on, Dancing with the Stars, and the Sing Off. There's rumors going around that it's been cancelled though, so i don't know if it's still on.
Last night was the premiere of Last Resort on ABC, and that looks pretty good.
The Middle is a good one to.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 28 2012, 4:40pm

Post #8 of 43 (754 views)
Shortcut
TGIF and that Grimm is back on again! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 4:40pm

Post #9 of 43 (977 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed the Sing Off and have heard the same rumors [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed Ben Folds Five is in town tomorrow... which tells me Ben Folds is not working on the Sing Off at the moment. :-(

I watched Elementary last night and have no problem with it being in NY. I love alternate and 'twisted' (as it's called in terms of fairy tales and legends, etc) versions of classic stories.

But it didn't *wow* me. I like to give things a while to find their feet and the two stars have great potential. It's still on the appointment tv list for me.

I'm also curious about Arrow which debuts in another week and half.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2012, 6:12pm

Post #10 of 43 (793 views)
Shortcut
None [In reply to] Can't Post

None.

I have given up on the ability of television networks to treat shows and viewers fairly. Quick cancellations of promising shows, irregular scheduling, insipid reality shows aimed at the lowest common denominator, and ever larger chunks of commercials have left me unwilling to invest my time. I'm done.

Stupid networks don't let good shows run to length anymore. They put them on at knuckleheaded times and make them go on hiatus for months just so they can justify killing off the show and - I don't know - collect the cancellation insurance or something? What's the point?

How can educated network programming executives be so stupid for so many years without being intentionally stupid?

How do consistent acts of self-destructive sabotage that obviously lose viewers help the bottom line?

They learn nothing.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 28 2012, 6:15pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 28 2012, 7:29pm

Post #11 of 43 (822 views)
Shortcut
Last night I watched an episode of TBBT [In reply to] Can't Post

where Leonard explained why the elevator doesn't work. We saw the creation of the room-mate agreement where Sheldon insisted they agree that a particular night was for watching Firefly "because clearly that will be running for years".

***sigh*** Pirate

I never miss Big Bang Theory, Castle, Dr Who, True Blood and (guilty pleasure) The Vampire Diaries. Everything else is negotiable.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 28 2012, 7:32pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 10:16pm

Post #12 of 43 (938 views)
Shortcut
Castle, Warehouse 13, Perception, Doctor Who, Sherlock // [In reply to] Can't Post

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 10:54pm

Post #13 of 43 (911 views)
Shortcut
Lately just Futurama. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to get into grooves where I watch one show and almost nothing else. I don't watch a lot of TV when it comes down to it. My last one was "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" and before that as series called "A Haunting." Seen all of "Walking Dead" so far (looking forward to season 3) and season one of GoT (killing off Boromir was a bad idea imo).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 28 2012, 10:56pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2012, 1:02am

Post #14 of 43 (736 views)
Shortcut
I watch... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sherlock
Game of Thrones
True Blood
Dirty Jobs
Pawn Stars
Ice Road Truckers
American Pickers
Great Lakes Warriors
and a bunch more of those shows on History

I just recently finished watching Eureka, its over now.
I have the first season of Starsky & Hutch and am going through it.
I am going to watch Boardwalk Empires once Starsky & Hutch are done....
The Newsroom is supposed to be great.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 11:29am

Post #15 of 43 (954 views)
Shortcut
I've never been to the US so not sure if it's a myth or not [In reply to] Can't Post

But are there really adverts every 5-10 minutes? Or does it depend on the network? That would drive me crazy. Even in the UK, every 15 minutes can be annoying.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Marionette
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 2:03pm

Post #16 of 43 (949 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that episode Laugh

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 29 2012, 3:21pm

Post #17 of 43 (932 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

which is why I love my DVR - I record my shows and skip the ads. 'Course, that doesn't help with the ones they crawl at the bottom now. The only way to avoid them is to rent the series on DVD.

What we don't have here is advertising posters glued to every wall.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 3:59pm

Post #18 of 43 (722 views)
Shortcut
I don't have cable.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I watch TV shows on blu ray and have Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming, so here goes....

Big Bang Theory
Fringe
Workaholics
Eastbound and Down
Star Wars - Clone Wars
South Park
Futurama
Family Guy
Rome
Warehouse 13
Sherlock
King of the Hill
Game of Thrones
Northern Exposure
Being Human
Firefly
Every available Star Trek show on Netflix....

I find my most watched TV show is Futurama. All of the seasons and movies are available on Netflix, so I start at season 1, go all the way through season 6, watch the movies.....then start all over againLaugh

I don't actually sit down and watch everything though....often I just have it on when i'm not listening to music and doing chores....

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Sep 29 2012, 4:07pm)

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 4:31pm

Post #19 of 43 (939 views)
Shortcut
Not many these days [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to watch loads but I don't have time to invest in that many anymore.

One that I don't miss is the new Hawaii 5-0.I love the actors, the characters, their stories and the beautiful island of Oahu.

Supernatural is also a huge favourite but it's been treated very badly by the TV channel that airs it in the UK.I watch it online or wait for the DVD.

Elementary looks promising so I'll watch that, especially as it's set in New York & Jonny Lee Miller stars.I think SKY are airing it next month.

Other than that I mostly watch news & sport but once in a while a reality show or documentary might catch my eye.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 4:42pm

Post #20 of 43 (885 views)
Shortcut
some commercials are now getting embedded in the shows [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a scene on Hawaii Five-O where they just kind of stopped the plot dead while the discussed the merits of some Subway sandwhich. And a few shows, esp. White Collar, include features of cars in the plot. In the commentary, the people will even shout during those scenes: car commercial.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 4:44pm

Post #21 of 43 (976 views)
Shortcut
I considered adding Northern Exposure to my list [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite old... at least how young people think of old. But it was a good show and at least some episodes just got better with repeated watchings.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 4:59pm

Post #22 of 43 (957 views)
Shortcut
That sounds painful [In reply to] Can't Post

And would definitely put me off a show. Is there no legislation to restrict how many (and how often) adverts are shown in the US? Certainly seems excessive.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 29 2012, 5:24pm

Post #23 of 43 (1033 views)
Shortcut
" Is there no legislation to restrict how many (and how often) adverts are shown in the US?" [In reply to] Can't Post

lol... this is America. We don't need no stinking laws to regulate things!

(said as a joke... can't go no further without getting political. - but no, there are no laws. The closest we have are some regulations about advertising aimed at children)

Hamfast
Rohan

Sep 29 2012, 7:33pm

Post #24 of 43 (694 views)
Shortcut
Huge fan of Northern Exposure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's good to see someone remembers it Wink My folks live in Washington state, and one year when visiting we took a drive to Rosyln,WA ( where the show was filmed) It was really cool to see Chris' DJ booth, Dr. Fleischman's office, and we even had lunch at Rosyln's Cafe. I think the show is one of the best examples of a tv program not assuming all of the viewers are complete idiots. A few of the authors whose works were read aloud by Chris on his radio show....

Walt Whitman
Abraham Lincoln
Carl Jung
Edgar Allen Poe
Robert Frost
Emily Dickinson
Maurice Sendak
Marcel Proust
Henry David Thoreau

It is rare that you would ever hear a character on a network tv show actually reading a paragraph from a great work of literature. A favorite of mine would be a quote from Prousts 'Rememberance of Things Past'

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

To this day, I find it amazing this was read aloud on a tv show.

imin
Valinor

Sep 29 2012, 7:43pm

Post #25 of 43 (699 views)
Shortcut
they are about every 10 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

and they last around 5 mins. It was incredibly frustrating as you cant get into a show when its like that i think, especially if you have been used to BBC.

Another thing is they have adverts for the next show, when the current show is going on and loads of marks all over the screen saying what age its for and what channel you are on. I know places like itv2 have that but its a bit excessive in America.

Overall there is better tv in US i think, but there is loads and loads which is terrible so it takes more time to find those great shows. Considering the differences in budgets i think UK punches above its weight though.

Posters being plastered everywhere, im not sure if that was meant to mean in the uk they are everywhere as where i grew up and where i live now there are hardly any, but in Cali they were every couple hundred feet when driving. But that's Cali i guess.

Favourite show at the moment is hard to say - homeland or mock the week but there are loads that people have said here as well that i think are great - like Life, planet earth, frozen planet, blue planet - love those nature documentaries!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.