Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien?
Poll: Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien?
Graham Greene
Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Joseph Heller
C.S. Lewis
Another author
John Le Carre
View Results (28 votes)

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 11:42pm

Post #1 of 13 (667 views)
Shortcut
Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien? Can't Post

For sake of space, I've just included 20th century writers, but feel free to name another author with no regard to century.

My favorite writer of this bunch is John Le Carre, hands down. With Dr. Seuss a sentimental, second favorite. Smile

Le Carre, IMHO, writes the best prose I've ever read of a "popular" author. It's almost musical. His insight into the foibles of human nature is unmatched, and his characters are exceptionally well-drawn. Some people have claimed that his plots are difficult to follow, but I, personally, have never had a problem. I think that some readers prefer more action in a spy novel, and Le Carre does tend to be more cerebral, spending more time in letting us know his characters thoughts, rather than their actions, and that will turn some people off altogether.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 2:00am

Post #2 of 13 (261 views)
Shortcut
Probably Dorothy Sayers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of Lord Peter Wimsey.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 3:13am

Post #3 of 13 (273 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention this-- [In reply to] Can't Post

Everytime I hear of or read about Sayers I'll think to myself "I need to read one of her books" and then promptly forget I thought that. I've read TONS of Agatha Christie since I was a girl, but never any Sayers. Which of her works is your favorite?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 6:29am

Post #4 of 13 (233 views)
Shortcut
I find it very hard to choose. [In reply to] Can't Post

The stories do progress chronologically, but they don't necessarily have to be read in order. Of the books which feature just Lord Peter, I would say my favorites are Murder Must Advertise and The Nine Tailors. But if you want to start at the beginning, Whose Body? is the first.

Four of the books feature Harriet Vane. They are not consecutive (stories in which she does not appear were published between the first three) but I recommend reading those at least in the correct order because that way you get the progression of their relationship. Harriet appears in Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night, and Busman's Honeymoon. Gaudy Night is my favorite of these, but it needs to be read after the first two.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 12:15pm

Post #5 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
I'll take Suess [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a great variety available and face it .... once you start you can't stop.

Think how he is part of the culture

The Lorax. Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, The Grinch, Horton Hears a Who, One Fish Two Fish, Hop on Pop.... etc etc..

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 4:44pm

Post #6 of 13 (302 views)
Shortcut
Definitely Lewis [In reply to] Can't Post

I read and discussed quite a lot of his stuff with friends some odd 10 years ago - just before PJs films came out, as I remember. The films then inserted a big refocus of attention on the Inklings and we were all looking at Tolkien in a totally different way then compared to the viewpoint I have on it all right now. Tongue

It was more the non-fiction than the fiction - although it was both.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 8:17pm

Post #7 of 13 (257 views)
Shortcut
No Pullman? [In reply to] Can't Post

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 11:11pm

Post #8 of 13 (223 views)
Shortcut
Forgive me if left off anyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so MANY fine authors with ties to Oxford, I know I may have left off some favorites. Please feel free to recommend any Oxford author's work here. There may be a few we don't know about.

(This post was edited by wendy woo on Sep 25 2012, 11:11pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 13 (223 views)
Shortcut
Oh well if you don't know Philip Pullman [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I would recommend His Dark Materials trilogy - well worth a look.

But I will say no more of Oxford. It is "the other place" for me and must not be spoken of!

LR

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 1:42am

Post #10 of 13 (239 views)
Shortcut
Well, by all means, let's be "equal opportunity" here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bring on those FANTASTIC Cambridge authors!! A.A. Milne, Michael Crichton, Eudora Welty, and Julian Fellowes, to name just a few. Virginia Woolf did not attend, but was associated with the university. Not to forget the poets, of course--Tennyson, Wordsworth, Plath, and Housman and more actors than one could shake a stick at. Even our beloved Gandalf (Sir Ian) attended Cambridge!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 7:02am

Post #11 of 13 (176 views)
Shortcut
Lewis for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the first set of books I remember reading as a child (other than very children-y books, like Winnie the Pooh etc).

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 1:43pm

Post #12 of 13 (190 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Dorothy Sayers [In reply to] Can't Post

is her cycle of radio plays on the life of Christ: "The Man Born to be King"

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 28 2012, 1:37am

Post #13 of 13 (517 views)
Shortcut
I vote for Dorothy too [In reply to] Can't Post

not just for her detective novels; she did an AWESOME translation of Dante's Divine Comedy that I love, with great commentary.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.