The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My memory of Frodo waking up in Minas Tirith

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 4:43am

Post #1 of 18 (2465 views)
Shortcut
My memory of Frodo waking up in Minas Tirith Can't Post

Though I enjoyed certain aspects of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films, I underwent a surgical procedure after I saw them which removed certain memories of them from my brain. Because I accidentally looked at the doctor's chart, I know for certain what the contents of two of those memories were. The first was a scene of Frodo sending Sam home while in Mordor, and the second was of Frodo waking up in Minas Tirith.

A decade later, my neurosurgeon, digging through my file, came across the latter memory, which had been preserved in video form. With my permission, he posted it on YouTube. So without further ado, here it is.

My memory of the "Frodo waking up in Minas Tirith" scene from Return of the King.

Enjoy.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 5:58am

Post #2 of 18 (1347 views)
Shortcut
I laughed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Despite the fact those are two of my favorite moments in the film. Mad

Cool

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 6:12am

Post #3 of 18 (1319 views)
Shortcut
That's not possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely, that cannot be!

Smile

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 8:20am

Post #4 of 18 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 7:44pm

Post #5 of 18 (1237 views)
Shortcut
That was awful [In reply to] Can't Post

What's wrong with the Frodo waking up scene in the movie? It's a great scene. "Go home Sam" is an entirely different matter, but I quite liked the Rivendell scene. Everyone laughing and celebrating after a terrible hard quest which they each had a part in doesn't strike me as a stupid scene. I guess I just like to see people insanely happy!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 26 2012, 7:46pm)

grinman
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 7:53pm

Post #6 of 18 (1215 views)
Shortcut
for me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene idea is a great one, but the execution is where it failed. The saturated light, the slow-mo, the laughing.. I just wish it was a bit closer to the book in tone and feel. I didn't mind the rest of the fellowship showing up... but I wish, maybe it had been just a little less saccharine.

The Stairs scene, sending away Sam was not a favorite nor was it my most hated. I understood (somewhat) the need for that scene to add some more tension but... necessary? No.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 8:13pm

Post #7 of 18 (1204 views)
Shortcut
I thought the execution was fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a great scene that reunites the fellowship and I don't mind tha laughing, slow-mo or the lighting. But I guess I can see why some people didn't like it...

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 18 (1255 views)
Shortcut
There was a very extensive, well-written defense of the scene between Frodo and Sam on here a few months ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to find it, but the author made some truly excellent points that supported the scene's inclusion and in fact argued - successfully, in my view - that it was a logical evolution of events in the films. It may not be in the books, but within the films it totally works. And ultimately, that's how the changes should be judged: not by their relation to the books, but how they work within the films that PJ established. Again, I'll find the post and link it here later, so that people can see why some don't take issue with Frodo's dismissal of Sam.

As for the Minis Tirith scene, I've never had a problem with it. After all that our characters had gone through, I can't help but smile and laugh myself when I see them all reunited in that room, their moods joyous, entering one by one to greet Frodo. Some people don't, which is fine...I just wish less snark was used to express that disagreement. "Ahahahaha, slo-mo! Laughing! Isn't that so stupid?" doesn't leave much room open for real discussion.

(This post was edited by thomasofrohan on Sep 26 2012, 8:33pm)

grinman
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 9:13pm

Post #9 of 18 (1151 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think I was closing off discussion by expressing my opinion of the execution of that particular scene. I don't dislike "slo-mo" or "laughing" in all instances. Sometimes, I even like laughing. In this particular scene, I didn't care for how it was used. The laughter, TO ME, didn't work. It was a little too "off" for me... I can't place what it is exactly I don't like about it. Maybe it's Frodo's acting in the scene... because really it's only his laugh that I don't like.. Gandalf's works... it kind of bubbles up. I like the idea of a merry meeting between friends who had no hope of seeing each other ever again. I just didn't like that particular execution. The slo-mo was overdone and unnecessary, TO ME, in that scene. I like slo-mo when used sparingly and for effect. There are a couple of instances where I felt it was over-used in the trilogy. This was one of those times. I don't HATE this scene, by the way. I just think it could have been much better and more poignant.

I understand and mostly agree with the reasons for the "sending sam away" scene. Does that mean I have to like it? No, it doesn't. I personally feel there could have been a more elegant way to approach it... maybe not. I'm not a screen writer. I understand that it works within the world of the film, but it's an adaptation of the book, so there has to be comparison. I'm not one of those that think Tolkien was infallible and that there aren't other/better ways that certain events could have transpired. So, having said that, again.. not my favorite scene, but certainly not one of my most hated.

My actual most hated scene is not even really a scene. It's when Frodo and Sam are in Mordor and The Eye is searching for them... Sam yells to Frodo to "watch out" and Frodo does the most awkward pirouette (with his arms elevated) and fall I've ever seen in real-life or on film. I HATE that!! I can't imagine PJ seeing that, saying "nailed it!" also, I hate Eowyn's yell as she drives her sword through the witchking's helmet.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 9:24pm

Post #10 of 18 (1194 views)
Shortcut
It may have worked for you [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me, in the context of the film (the way I judge LOTR) it did not work at all. It was deeply problematic in terms of logic, and it pushed the boundaries of both Frodo and Sam's characters witthin the film, that stretched credulity.

The waking up in Minas Tirith scene just needed a massive tone down. Hazy, sugary lighting, slow motion movement and dialogue, etc. Didn't feel genuine at all. And IMO, it takes a heavy hand to wreck the authenticity of a scene like that.

And, of course, that video is just hilarious and spot-on. Exactly how I felt while watching the scene.

-SA

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 9:38pm

Post #11 of 18 (1245 views)
Shortcut
I consider parodies a sign of love [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you love this scene Tongue

Honestly Aragorn's "yeaahh" makes me crack up.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 9:59pm

Post #12 of 18 (1244 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was humorous [In reply to] Can't Post

We can't let our love of the films mar our sense of humor.

Remember the Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Geller parody of the Council of Elrond? Many LOTR-film lovers found that hilarious, even though it was very irreverent, and poked fun (quite sharply, at times) at core elements of the film.

In short, lighten up! To quote Bilbo:

"I was just a bit of fun!"

Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 10:00pm

Post #13 of 18 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Yeeeeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I lost it at that point. Pure genius.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 10:05pm

Post #14 of 18 (1168 views)
Shortcut
My doctor informed me [In reply to] Can't Post

That the entire Weathertop sequence was also excised from my brain.

Was it really that bad?

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 5:05am

Post #15 of 18 (1205 views)
Shortcut
I am a movie firster... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so when I read the book I assumed Frodo and Sam splitting up was in the book. I was surprised it wasn't in there, but it did flow better with the way Tolkien wrote it.

But for the film, I can't imagine it NOT being included. Gollum spends the entire first half of ROTK trying to split them up... it's his one victory, and it creates the perfect moment when Sam returns to save Frodo from being eaten by Shelob.

Wouldn't change a thing about the Minas Tirith scene either. Gandalf laughing gets me misty eyed every time.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 6:02am

Post #16 of 18 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf is the least problematic, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

It is the hobbits and the others (and the slow-motion dialogue) that makes we want to run away screaming...sort of like a Denethor on fire... Smile

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 6:30am

Post #17 of 18 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Laughing is perfectly fine [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, it is the super slo-motion that destroys the scene's authenticity. Frodo's laugh and acting is so strange because it has been slowed down considerably.

What pains me is that we didn't need this filmic "device" to tell us that we should be feeling emotional. If all three films, and all the actors in them, worked, then a simple, understated reunion should make us all weep. We don't need to heavy hand pulling the heartstrings.

Instead, this scene says to me: "Laugh and cry, dammit! Laugh and cry! You must!"

It insults both my emotions, and my intelligence.

But I can understand why some people love it unabashedly. If there's one thing that can be said for PJ, it's that he's not a boring, by-the-numbers filmmaker. Even though I don't quite appreciate his style, at least he's not Ron Howard...

Fàfnir
Rohan

Oct 10 2012, 11:21pm

Post #18 of 18 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Very funny ! xD [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be just perfect if you could superpose the sound of all the characters while they... euh... do "mweeaaaa..."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.