Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So the Goblin King will be CG?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 5:16pm

Post #1 of 47 (2072 views)
Shortcut
So the Goblin King will be CG? Can't Post

I was under the impression I was going to get to see the mighty Barry Humphries hamming it up in a rubber suit with prosthetics all over him. Is he just doing the voice? Perhaps with the same face motion capture thing Benedict Cumberbatch is doing?

That's disappointing. A least a little bit.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 5:28pm

Post #2 of 47 (1018 views)
Shortcut
when they announced Humphreys a while ago [In reply to] Can't Post

it was said he would be Mo-Capping the Great Goblin. I love the look of him personally but i think the size might be a bit large IMO. As long as the performance comes thru with the character I'll be fine with it as long as the don't deviate from the book or at least use what he was from the book and add to it accordingly.

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 5:36pm

Post #3 of 47 (851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

when they announced Humphreys a while ago it was said he would be Mo-Capping the Great Goblin.

I must've missed that announcement completely...

Oh well. Thanks for answering. Smile

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 6:00pm

Post #4 of 47 (813 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they won't deviate from the book [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ never does that. Oh wait...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/...ler-Breakdown-27.jpg

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 6:03pm

Post #5 of 47 (767 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the book states whether the goblin king is CGI or a man in a rubber suit...

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 6:08pm

Post #6 of 47 (765 views)
Shortcut
Barry Humphries [In reply to] Can't Post

I predict will steal the show in AUJ.

We are finally getting some villains with a bit of personality in these adaptations!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

grinman
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 6:15pm

Post #7 of 47 (691 views)
Shortcut
contract [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard that due to contractual obligations with the sequel to "Labyrinth", the Goblin King was unavailable for filming.. so, CGI was really the only option.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 6:16pm

Post #8 of 47 (700 views)
Shortcut
He must do! [In reply to] Can't Post

With the film cut short, Goblin town is the lead up to the climax.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Sep 26 2012, 6:21pm

Post #9 of 47 (668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh I couldn't agree more!

Sylvester McCoy is probably the only one on the set who could properly match Humphries in classic style old-man eccentricity. Laugh

(This post was edited by Runk Snusgrop on Sep 26 2012, 6:22pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 47 (634 views)
Shortcut
I also think the GG will be great [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually kind of like how big he is. Definitely makes him more menacing! And Barry Humphries will do a terrific job at voicing him! Not that I've seen him act before...but although I've only heard him say "Did you see that pile of intestines." I can imagine him voicing that hideous (CGI/Motion Cap) creature very well.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 47 (714 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien did specify [In reply to] Can't Post

How the Goblin King dies. Needless to say it wasn't like that, and it wasn't comical.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 6:41pm

Post #12 of 47 (633 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll sound something like his character Bruce in Finding Nemo: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x9W70LJKVw

@stoutfiles, McKellen talked about the GB scene on his blog and he mentioned that he kills him like in the book.

The way I see it go is that the GB is stabbed with the sword and then instantly dies. The company starts running through Goblin Town and at some point they accidentally/intentionally make parts of the town collapse, causing the GB's corpse to fall down as we see in the trailer.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 26 2012, 6:47pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 47 (626 views)
Shortcut
That was Barry?! [In reply to] Can't Post

All I can imagine is this voice now for the Goblin king!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 6:44pm

Post #14 of 47 (708 views)
Shortcut
I don't think this is the Goblin King's actual [In reply to] Can't Post

death. I reckon this is after, and falls not because of Gandalf either.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 6:58pm

Post #15 of 47 (650 views)
Shortcut
In the last VBlog you see him..in his Mo-Cap suit.. [In reply to] Can't Post

And at his age I don't think he could carry around 80 pounds of Prosthetics.
SO to
allow him the freedom of movement
he HAS to be CGI..

His VoiceOver of of Bruce in " Finding Nemo"
was hilarious!
Bomby

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 7:14pm

Post #16 of 47 (541 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea that Bruce was voiced by Barry either. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think that he'll sound quite like that. Maybe something like that just without the accent. Tongue

flowww
Bree

Sep 26 2012, 8:02pm

Post #17 of 47 (588 views)
Shortcut
When I see the Goblin King's pic, I just keep hearing... [In reply to] Can't Post

"BANTHA POODOO! HOOO hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo..."

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 8:09pm

Post #18 of 47 (539 views)
Shortcut
If you look in the trailer, Gandalf is just getting to his feet [In reply to] Can't Post

So you can guess that he has just jumped/fallen down a moment or two before the Goblin. So there's every chance that Gandalf is directly involved in the Goblin's death. Cool

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 9:12pm

Post #19 of 47 (513 views)
Shortcut
"So the Goblin King will be CG": Was there ever any doubt after Del Toro left. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rubber suites are out as well as the use of miniatures and bigatures. Computer Generation over Motion Capture all the way.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 10:07pm

Post #20 of 47 (440 views)
Shortcut
Facial Expresions [In reply to] Can't Post

In the latest video blog you can see Humphries wearing little black markers all over his face so it looks like his own facial expressions will be incorporated in to the Great Goblin, similar to how Serkis' face is Gollum's.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 10:14pm

Post #21 of 47 (425 views)
Shortcut
That seems likely [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I like the Goblin King concept art (from the Hobbit annual) much better than the final design. I imagine the final design is due to bringing a greater level of Barry's facial features into it.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 1:03am

Post #22 of 47 (377 views)
Shortcut
The annual goblin wasn't the GK [In reply to] Can't Post

Nowhere in the annual was it implied that any of those pics were of the Goblin King. I'm 100% sure that annual "Goblin King" was just a fat regular goblin, and accurate to what we'll get in the films.

* crunch *

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 4:57am

Post #23 of 47 (326 views)
Shortcut
I took another look [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're right.

It was actually Tolkiendrim that posted some of the annual pictures of the goblins, and claimed that the fat one was the Goblin King from a new card game. But that turned out to have been false information.

Thanks for the correction.

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 27 2012, 7:41am

Post #24 of 47 (282 views)
Shortcut
In the book [In reply to] Can't Post

the goblin king dies far to quickly and easily. (and I don't think they would want to show a beheading, as it would probably get the film a 12 certificate).

In the scene from the trailer, the goblin king has a sword sticking in his belly, so he was probably already dead before his body falls.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 27 2012, 12:52pm

Post #25 of 47 (233 views)
Shortcut
12 Certificate [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the goblin king dies far to quickly and easily. (and I don't think they would want to show a beheading, as it would probably get the film a 12 certificate).

In the scene from the trailer, the goblin king has a sword sticking in his belly, so he was probably already dead before his body falls.

Since I expect the film to get a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, I don't see why it should get less than a 12 certificate in the U.K.. At the same time, I'm guessing that the Goblin King will not be beheaded in AUJ based on the footage revealed in the new trailer.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.