Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo's garment in "Riddles in the Dark" scene
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 26 2012, 7:45am

Post #1 of 65 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's garment in "Riddles in the Dark" scene Can't Post

I am astonished that nobody of the filmmakers took into consideration the continuity in the "Riddles in the Dark" scene. How hard would that have been?:

Bilbo in FOTR prologue: Dark grey coat, red vest:

Bilbo in The Hobbit: Red-brownish coat, no apparent vest, scarf.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

henneth-annun.ru

emre43
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 7:50am

Post #2 of 65 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Good grief [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really dissapointed with the lack of continuity in these films. The Goblins look nothing like the Goblins in FOTR, Tom, Bert and William don't look like the Tom, Bert and William in FOTR extended. There's probably more things that I can't remember. Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 7:52am

Post #3 of 65 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Well ... obviously ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo takes off his jacket and puts on a cravat thing before riddling with Gollum ...

Unimpressed

I thought he had the same waistcoat though? We've seen pictures of the buttons at least.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 7:52am

Post #4 of 65 (1689 views)
Shortcut
The colour of Frodo's book. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a shocker.

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 8:03am

Post #5 of 65 (1533 views)
Shortcut
The way I see it [In reply to] Can't Post

The clip of young Bilbo in FOTR is more symbolic of what happened than anything else. I mean, that scene won't play out exactly the way it did in FOTR ("What's this? A ring? OMG GOLLUM IS YELLING AND STUFF"). They will probably do the finding of the ring and the reveal of Gollum more elegantly. In fact I hope they do. So I'm all for not being restricted by what was created in the service of an entirely different film with different needs.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 8:06am

Post #6 of 65 (1588 views)
Shortcut
looks like they swapped out the actor too [In reply to] Can't Post

BRING BACK IAN! :)

They've mentioned something about having to change the colour due to changes to the film process, with the RED cameras instead of film.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 8:11am

Post #7 of 65 (1519 views)
Shortcut
They just couldn't find the original jacket [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They've mentioned something about having to change the colour due to changes to the film process, with the RED cameras instead of film.

Wink

Fertlthewhite
Bree

Sep 26 2012, 8:22am

Post #8 of 65 (1512 views)
Shortcut
this is a repost [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I mentioned this matter many many month ago

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=436584;guest=40243933#436584

(This post was edited by Fertlthewhite on Sep 26 2012, 8:24am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 8:26am

Post #9 of 65 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re-reading that post back ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have played a part in massively de-railing it ... Unimpressed

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 9:04am

Post #10 of 65 (1565 views)
Shortcut
And it's just lazy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's a shocker.

And for those who say "Who cares -it's just a book" I say it would have been just as easy to get a book the same colour! Mad

"Someone go get me a book for this frodo scene" -PJ
"Someone go get me a red book for this frodo scene" -PJ

Lazy...

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 9:10am

Post #11 of 65 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's a silly mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll admit ... it doesn't really bother me. A book's a book. We only see it for about 1 second. There are larger, and more annoying continuity mistakes than the colour of a book.

Lightice
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 10:16am

Post #12 of 65 (1499 views)
Shortcut
I really can't agree with this stuff (either!) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am really dissapointed with the lack of continuity in these films. The Goblins look nothing like the Goblins in FOTR, Tom, Bert and William don't look like the Tom, Bert and William in FOTR extended. There's probably more things that I can't remember. Frown

Sorry, but I have to disagree a fair bit (Again! Is this the only thing I'm doing on this forum?) Tom, Bert and Will were modelled after the original WETA models. They were given body hair and texture, but it's still the same basic faces in there. As for the goblins, the LotR trilogy already showed us a huge variation of creatures of orcish persuasion, with clear "racial" traits based on where they live; compare the Moria goblins with the Mordor orcs, for example. The creatures from the trailers fit perfectly well into that continuity.

As for Bilbo's coat and so forth, lets keep in mind that the scene can't be replicated one to one, no matter what. Gollum's screams can't coincide with Bilbo finding the Ring. PJ isn't so forgetful that he wouldn't remember having shot the scene with Bilbo for the Fellowship, and if it doesn't match with the new stuff, then it's a conscious choice on his part.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 12:15pm

Post #13 of 65 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ isn't so forgetful that he wouldn't remember having shot the scene with Bilbo for the Fellowship, and if it doesn't match with the new stuff, then it's a conscious choice on his part.

dave_lf
Gondor

Sep 26 2012, 12:34pm

Post #14 of 65 (1347 views)
Shortcut
You know what they say about a foolish consistency [In reply to] Can't Post

and the film has enough hobgoblins already.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2012, 1:00pm

Post #15 of 65 (1363 views)
Shortcut
The very short FOTR scene was shot 12-13 years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you really think they were planning that far ahead? Obviously the costume didn't fit very well for The Hobbit, so they changed it.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 26 2012, 1:05pm)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 1:07pm

Post #16 of 65 (1393 views)
Shortcut
It's not an error [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering they will likely replace that scene in future LOTR releases with a Martin Freeman scene from AUJ. Also, Hayden Christensen's ghost will replace Cirdan at the Grey Havens, just like Tolkien would have wanted.

(This post was edited by stoutfiles on Sep 26 2012, 1:10pm)

Labrynian Rebel
The Shire

Sep 26 2012, 1:12pm

Post #17 of 65 (1325 views)
Shortcut
I really hope they do that, or else I'll have a continuity spasm every time I watch it [In reply to] Can't Post

seriously, it would annoy me so much

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 1:13pm

Post #18 of 65 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Nooo! Bilbo is Ian Holm! [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave him be! Cool

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 1:40pm

Post #19 of 65 (1283 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course that scene of the FOTR prologue will be replaced with a new one of Martin Freeman.

That's why PJ did not bother for continuity in that scene, that's why he redesigned Bilbo's clothes without worrying. Martin Freeman is now officially younger Bilbo.

As for the trolls, we have always seen creatures becoming stone in movies like the first Narnia and so, but we do not know what PJ plans to show us on these trolls in that moment, but as far as we can tell by the trailers they are the same trolls, the same face, the same structure, just 60 years before FOTR and perfectly alive, with personality, hair, clothes, and a lot of hunger... we'll see.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Sep 26 2012, 1:46pm)

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 1:49pm

Post #20 of 65 (1302 views)
Shortcut
And Martin Freeman is Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm will be digitally removed from existence and replaced by Martin Freeman (adjusted for age, obviously).

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 2:38pm

Post #21 of 65 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Sacrilege! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 26 2012, 3:22pm

Post #22 of 65 (1206 views)
Shortcut
as much as I love [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm as younger Bilbo, if i ever wanted to geek out on a mega Hobbit/LOTR cd watchingfest, it would be slightly irritating to see two different actors play the same scene. Just a quibbler really.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 3:32pm

Post #23 of 65 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo appears to be wearing a green waistcoat throughout the quest [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I think he may lose it before the Riddles scene. The buttons might be the same, though Cool

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 3:37pm

Post #24 of 65 (1168 views)
Shortcut
I would hazard a guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess that Bilbo's greenish grey overcoat didn't mess well with the green screens they used for CGI. I'd also guess that it blended into the scenery too well in forest scenes and in the darkness of cave scenes. And I'd guess that they wanted Bilbo's outfit to be more brightly colored to separate him from the dwarves with just a quick look.

In other words: I don't think it was an error so much as a design choice. Or it could all just be a mistake. Either way, really.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 3:37pm

Post #25 of 65 (1200 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU [In reply to] Can't Post

obviously they want to keep as much continuity as they can, but let's be reasonable.

They are different films and if something works better for the film now then they should do that. period.

Look, I'm the first to have OCD about this stuff too, but we have to get over it. Or at least I'm trying to get over it. Better for one's sanity. Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Sep 26 2012, 3:41pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.