Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So this new elf...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:21pm

Post #1 of 62 (2692 views)
Shortcut
So this new elf... Can't Post

TORn has introduced Tauriel, and has shown to us a new photo of the created elven character. She looks to be somewhat detached from traditional Tolkien style and even a bit sassy. She was created to put a feminine touch to The Hobbit, and after what the writers for the LOTR trilogy have accomplished, Tauriel might work. She most likely won't be seen in the first film, but any thoughts, opinions, or expectations about Tauriel and breaking away from traditional Middle-Earth?

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:30pm

Post #2 of 62 (1290 views)
Shortcut
For those wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the image Ring-Bearer is referring to... it's from a toy box, and according to this thread is our first glimpse of her.

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 62 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting a Hunger Games vibe from her...

She is certainly beautiful, though. Honestly, I think this is her best photo!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 25 2012, 10:34pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:35pm

Post #4 of 62 (1015 views)
Shortcut
I, for one, am looking forward to Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly am looking forward to her. Evangeline Lilly is a great actress and seems genuinely lovely. I'm looking forward to her portrayal.

While a female elf is never named in the book, there's no reason to think there weren't any at all. And I won't judge her addition until I've seem the films.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:36pm

Post #5 of 62 (992 views)
Shortcut
Why a Hunger Games vibe?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:37pm

Post #6 of 62 (1026 views)
Shortcut
The one thing I'm worried about [In reply to] Can't Post

Is her accent. The North Americans in LOTR were a real mixed bag when it came to English accents, and I'm hoping Lilly is up to the task.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 62 (1068 views)
Shortcut
She appears to be wearing [In reply to] Can't Post

a camouflage jerkin under a leather Cuirass, and no spaulders. A true archer.

Thank you Magpie!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 62 (1025 views)
Shortcut
I saw some packaging for the Hunger Games DVD at a store today [In reply to] Can't Post

And the main character of that film (which I haven't seen) was on the front, with a ranger-esque uniform, a bow and a slightly dangerous look. This has a similar vibe to that, basically.

Not much science to it. Just an impression.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 25 2012, 10:39pm)

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:39pm

Post #9 of 62 (938 views)
Shortcut
Thanks SirDennisC! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting the pic!

'I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor- though, I do not know the way...'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:43pm

Post #10 of 62 (958 views)
Shortcut
Accents only bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

When the actor is trying too hard, and it just comes out terribly. Otherwise, I normally can't tell if their accent slips around.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:45pm

Post #11 of 62 (928 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't thrilled with the movie, so I automatically was thinking about the books and couldn't think of any connection. Evil

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:45pm

Post #12 of 62 (916 views)
Shortcut
We'll wait and see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree- that's the connection I couldn't figure out. I'm just a bit worried that she will reflect modern teen fantasy, but then again, it wouldn't be right to judge her before we actually see her in Middle-Earth. Who knows? It might just be a vibe.

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 62 (940 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what you mean by "traditional Tolkien style"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that she should have a different style than the elves of Lorien, for example because she is an elf from a different place.

I think it is more important for her to fit in with the elves of Mirkwood and for the Mirkwood elves to have a common identity or style than it is for her to fit in with the elves in LOTR that weren't from Mirkwood.

I also think that her role is more than just an obligatory female role! She has work to do! She is a face representing a people and their struggles ... a much needed face for those struggles.

Fŕfnir
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 10:50pm

Post #14 of 62 (979 views)
Shortcut
She got very long hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a pic of the back of the Tauriel figure :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/HypnoHustler/013_zps778fbab5.jpg

I think it's a quite cool hairstyle !

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 10:54pm

Post #15 of 62 (962 views)
Shortcut
Pondering [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking back to a rumor that we will see Legolas and Thranduil duel over a disagreement, I wonder (as I believe others have as well) if there will be a dynamic of pro-isolation (Thranduil) versus those who want to have a hand in the happenings of the age (Legolas) and which side of the line Tauriel will fall on. My bet's with her siding with Thranduil, leaving Legolas to take part in the Dol Guldur episode. Perhaps Legolas will aid some way in the escape of the Dwarves instead of Tauriel as some have speculated? I would almost prefer this for some reason.. it breaks the mold of the sympathetic female stereotype.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 10:55pm

Post #16 of 62 (879 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

modern teen fantasy just about sums it up. Mad

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 10:56pm

Post #17 of 62 (968 views)
Shortcut
I always thought of Mirkwood Elves as the sassy bunch [In reply to] Can't Post

They dwelled on the edge of danger instead of hanging out in Reno and Vegas like their day-glo counterparts in Rivendell and Lorien.

Mirkwood Elves are like the hipsters of Middle-Earth.

I was hanging out with Sauron before it was cool.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Ring-Bearer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:57pm

Post #18 of 62 (944 views)
Shortcut
Traditional Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

By traditional Tolkien style, I mean that she isn't an original elf of Middle-Earth, and, as you have said, will have to prove herself to the audience as well as displaying her own story and characteristics. She is a character made by screenwriters, not by Tolkien.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:58pm

Post #19 of 62 (878 views)
Shortcut
* snert * // [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Magpie!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:59pm

Post #20 of 62 (875 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense to me [In reply to] Can't Post

by the way, no problem... didn't have to look far.Wink

Thank you Magpie!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 11:00pm

Post #21 of 62 (901 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one don't have any particular interest in games or collecting, so I would never have seen the picture. It seems odd to me that such an important "reveal" would not have been in this forum. But thanks to you, it now is.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 11:02pm

Post #22 of 62 (873 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

what if Taurial is just an amalgam of characteristics from other characters not brought to life in LOTR or the appendix or maybe an unnamed elf in The Hobbit?

Technically that's still Tolkien, just remixed.

Not saying that's the case with Taurial, but several characters in the LOTR films were sort of piece-mailed from lesser characters, for example:

Glorfindel's role being absorbed into Arwen
Treebeard using Bombadil's lines
Erkenbrand's part is taken over by Eomer

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 11:02pm

Post #23 of 62 (949 views)
Shortcut
Contraband pics [In reply to] Can't Post

It was because for several days prior to its release the boards kept popping up with pics of the action figs (mostly goblins) that kept getting taken down because of a request by Bridge Direct. So they probably got posted earlier on the forums, but the thread was likely deleted within minutes.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 11:25pm

Post #24 of 62 (818 views)
Shortcut
I'm also looking forward to her. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing against feminine energy. Wink

Like you said, just because Tolkien didn't write about an elf lady named Tauriel it doesn't mean she wasn't part of it. You gotta give the wood elves some faces to make them relatable. Now, if she had been in a chainmail bikini i would have objected as well but she isn't.

Like the picture, btw.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 11:36pm

Post #25 of 62 (811 views)
Shortcut
As long as she can speak Elvish as beautifully as Liv did I'll be happy [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the most beautiful moments in the trilogy were when Liv & Viggo spoke Elvish to each other...hopefully we'll get plenty more Elvish in the Hobbit films!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.