Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shadowfax...what role will he play?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DemoElite
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 1:50am

Post #1 of 44 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Shadowfax...what role will he play? Can't Post

In the PJ middle earth existence, will we see Shadowfax play a role? Gandalf mentions, in TTT, that he and the horse lord have worked together before. Will we see him with ties to Radagast or possibly Beorn?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 1:59am

Post #2 of 44 (674 views)
Shortcut
None! No role at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Honest! He would be too old to ride in LotR if he was around for the Hobbit.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 2:07am

Post #3 of 44 (594 views)
Shortcut
That would be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't know if it will happen. It could be that Gandalf was referring to his earlier visit to Theoden, when he first got Shadowfax. That happened after the events of The Hobbit, so Peter and co. would have to change that backstory to bring Shadowfax into the Hobbit movies.

DemoElite
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 2:15am

Post #4 of 44 (568 views)
Shortcut
He couldn't be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Referring to the horse from an earlier ride too close in time. When he whistled for him in TTT, he was so happy to see him, like it had been a long while sine he had seen him.

You stated that hewould have been dead in lotr if he had been alive during th. Funny, i assumed him to be a more mystical creature than a straight horse. I thought Gandalf whistled and he came from "somewhere else".

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 2:24am

Post #5 of 44 (563 views)
Shortcut
I might be relying too much on the book [In reply to] Can't Post

where 17 years pass between Bilbo's birthday and Frodo's adventures with the Ring. In the movies, of course, the elapsed time is much shorter.

In the books, Gandalf visits Theoden years before, but not in the movies.

So, in movie-world, I would still have a problem similar to my concerns about putting Legolas in the Hobbit movies. He wasn't in the books, so I don't know how he will be inserted in the movie. Same with Shadowfax.

But if it's done well, it would be great to see Shadowfax again.

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 2:27am

Post #6 of 44 (544 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the vlogs with Gandalf saying that he was in need of a horse to go in search of answers? It sounded urgent. Shadowfax urgent.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 2:28am

Post #7 of 44 (530 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Gandalf tamed Shadowfax years after the events of "The Hobbit."

Also, I like his introduction in TTT. It helps set Gandalf the White apart from Gandalf the Grey.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

DemoElite
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 2:34am

Post #8 of 44 (523 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know [In reply to] Can't Post

What Gandalf's exact lines from TTT were when he called Shadowfax?

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 4:05am

Post #9 of 44 (509 views)
Shortcut
From memory: [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas: That is one of the Merras... unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.
Gandalf: This is Shadowfax. He's the lord of all horses... and my friend through many dangers.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Ruijor
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:19am

Post #10 of 44 (462 views)
Shortcut
Shadowfax´s sure can be seen as more than just a horse... [In reply to] Can't Post

and i could even accept he was blessed with long life like the numerorean but to see Gandalf the Grey mounted in a white horse would be messing with the color analogy between the two Gandalfs already established.

(This post was edited by Ruijor on Sep 25 2012, 5:20am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:27am

Post #11 of 44 (459 views)
Shortcut
Let me try [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
where 17 years pass between Bilbo's birthday and Frodo's adventures with the Ring. In the movies, of course, the elapsed time is much shorter.

In the books, Gandalf visits Theoden years before, but not in the movies.

In the film Gandalf says something to the effect of "he has been my friend through many dangers."

To me, this implies that he's known Shadowfax for quite some time and has gone through other adventures with him.

And although they don't mention the time lapses in the movie that doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't happen. Phillipa said something like "we just pretend that we didn't discuss those parts left out." This is one quote of hers that I liked. I like to pretend that the 17 years does pass, and that they spend a few months in Lorien, etc.

So anyways, we could assume that Gandalf has visited Theoden and received shadowfax many years before the events in TTT. This does, however, bring up the question as to why Gandalf used a different horse at the beginning of FOTR. But it's neither here nor there.

I don't think Shadowfax has a place in the hobbit but you never know what the film makers might do.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 6:54am

Post #12 of 44 (417 views)
Shortcut
Escape from Orthanc [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have my books to hand, but from memory, didn't Gandalf first get Shadowfax from Theoden (practically stole him?) when Gwaihir rescued Gandalf from Orthanc, and delivered him to safety in Rohan? I believe Theoden told him he could have a horse and 'be gone' from Rohan, and Gandalf cheekily took the Lord of the Mearas...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 7:11am

Post #13 of 44 (413 views)
Shortcut
No need for Shadowfax [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf will use the house given to him from Beorn. Smile

Unless that very horse is Shadowfax. Which it won't be.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 8:00am

Post #14 of 44 (400 views)
Shortcut
Mearas may live longer than normal horses [In reply to] Can't Post

but they certainly don't live 60-90 years.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Gimilkhad
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 10:19am

Post #15 of 44 (375 views)
Shortcut
Gandalfs mount in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Early in The Hobbit before the party reach Rivendell, Gandalf is described as riding a great white horse.

sador
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:49am

Post #16 of 44 (340 views)
Shortcut
He will voice one of the spiders. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, it was a serious question?

Never mind.

"Okay. I'm going to post the entire debate between Bilbo and Smaug. I'm under the Tolkien-spell, so I can't help myself. But you don't have to read it if you don't want to... or need to... because you have it memorized... right?"
- grammaboodawg

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for Inside Information!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 11:31am

Post #17 of 44 (327 views)
Shortcut
No Shadowfax [In reply to] Can't Post

he won't be there!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 12:09pm

Post #18 of 44 (321 views)
Shortcut
I always assumed [In reply to] Can't Post

that Shadowfax was an Elven horse, or had Elven traits being mystical and long lived and faster than ordinary mortal horses. He definately was a magical creature and extraordinary. But I think Gandalf was given a horse to use by Beorn so I dont think it was Shadowfax, although it would be nice to see him again. It always makes me sigh in happiness when I see Gandalf whistle for the mighty steed and you see him gallop towards us.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 1:15pm

Post #19 of 44 (325 views)
Shortcut
Let's stop kidding ourselves [In reply to] Can't Post

Shadowfax is going to be in it. PJ could care less if he wasn't in The Hobbit, it links to his movies and the mainstream audience will love the connection.

Sorry everyone. It's going to happen.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 1:24pm

Post #20 of 44 (304 views)
Shortcut
I bet the complete opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
There are far more obvious connections that will be made (via characters, places, objects etc), than a horse that appeared in a trilogy 10 years ago, for less than a couple of minutes.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 1:30pm

Post #21 of 44 (298 views)
Shortcut
Early in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

everyone is mounted.

But the trailer clearly shows the dwarves walking and running across ME, not riding.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 1:42pm

Post #22 of 44 (283 views)
Shortcut
hey [In reply to] Can't Post

I want my girlie My Little Shadowfax moment, let a woman dream will you? Wink

Elthir
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 1:48pm

Post #23 of 44 (286 views)
Shortcut
thirty white horses [In reply to] Can't Post

And this can't be Shadowfax, as Shadowfax was never described as white Smile

Gandalf's white horse was later (the 1960 Hobbit, never finished however) given a name by Tolkien -- the name was Rohald. But in the book as published, after A Short Rest Gandalf was given a white pony 'since his horse was not suitable for the mountain paths' (Over Hill And Under Hill).

The Mearas lived longer than regular horses (about 80 years, but technically 'as long-lived as men'), but in any event, as has already been noted, Gandalf did not tame Shadowfax until September 3018.

Again, not that Jackson will necessarily care.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Sep 25 2012, 1:56pm)

Lightice
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 2:53pm

Post #24 of 44 (259 views)
Shortcut
Most unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Shadowfax is going to be in it. PJ could care less if he wasn't in The Hobbit, it links to his movies and the mainstream audience will love the connection.

Sorry everyone. It's going to happen.

This is very much doubtful. PJ wouldn't have put him in the LotR if he wasn't such a major figure in the story. Animals are always trouble for the filmmakers, and they use them as sparingly as they can get away with. There is no white horse anywhere in the trailers; I find it more likely that the mounted scenes will be reduced to the barest minumum.

Anyway, by that logic Gandalf should have ridden Shadowfax in the Fellowship of the Ring, but that was very explicitly avoided.

The Preciousss
Bree

Sep 25 2012, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 44 (248 views)
Shortcut
I guess that he will ride a different horse [In reply to] Can't Post

like he did in FOTR when he rides to Orthanc. But I can can see him say: "Damn I wish this horse was faster"or "I wish this was a Mearas";)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.