Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"I could never read Tolkien. I always found him unreadable." - Billy Connolly talks a bit about Tolkien and 'The Hobbit'.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2012, 11:55pm

Post #1 of 73 (4985 views)
Shortcut
"I could never read Tolkien. I always found him unreadable." - Billy Connolly talks a bit about Tolkien and 'The Hobbit'. Can't Post

http://www.vulture.com/...+and+Culture+Blog%29

He mentions he's back in NZ next year for more filming, his thoughts on the script, 48fps and 3D.

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 24 2012, 11:57pm)

Túrin_Turambar
The Shire

Sep 25 2012, 12:11am

Post #2 of 73 (3367 views)
Shortcut
"It looks like a cartoon, but the people are real. And it's shiny." [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite sure how I feel about that...

imin
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 12:15am

Post #3 of 73 (3231 views)
Shortcut
yeah that was the bit i noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

it is something i felt when i watched the trailer a few times. Though i did watch it on my laptop rather than in the cinema and people who have seen it in the cinema have said it looks darker, less cartoon like so i hold out hope it will.

Its nice to hear he thinks the acting of everyone else is great and its going to be a great movie - though he kinda has to say that. I get the feeling from him though if he didnt think it was good, he would just say nothing so im taking it as a positive :)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 12:18am

Post #4 of 73 (3174 views)
Shortcut
He followed that with "it's real". [In reply to] Can't Post

Cartoon, real? Doesn't make much sense. Connolly is unreadable to me. As long as he does a good job in Hobbit, i don't really care. Wink

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 12:20am

Post #5 of 73 (3117 views)
Shortcut
Think he might be referring to it being very colorful (as seen in the trailer) [In reply to] Can't Post

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 12:26am

Post #6 of 73 (3101 views)
Shortcut
This made me laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't read [the books], and I normally don't like people who have! The people who love it, they're kind of scary. They talk all this gobbledygook and they think of it as the Holy Grail.

For all my geekdom, I know it's true.

This, on the other hand, scared the gobbledygook right of me....

I haven't done [the battle scenes] yet. I have to get battle-ready! I ride into war on a wild pig!

because that scary, obsessed geek in me fears it, too, is true.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 12:27am

Post #7 of 73 (3036 views)
Shortcut
Lol, I see what you did there! heheh. Your post at least was readable ;¬) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 12:37am

Post #8 of 73 (3000 views)
Shortcut
As long as he does a good job that's all I care about. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 12:38am

Post #9 of 73 (3062 views)
Shortcut
Well I guess he at least has the attitude of a dwarf (stubborn?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Solicitr
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 12:59am

Post #10 of 73 (3095 views)
Shortcut
That's okay, Billy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the screenwriters haven't either. Evil

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 1:25am

Post #11 of 73 (3088 views)
Shortcut
People say stuff like this [In reply to] Can't Post

just to drive us little people crazy.* Crazy

And what's this about riding a wild pig? Didn't the leaked Games Workshop release list (officially called a forgery) include a set named "Dáin Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders?"

*ETA: at least when Viggo said he had never heard of The Lord of the Rings before getting the part of Strider, not only was he gracious about the wonderful opportunity accorded him, but also set about to read the books straight away (or so the story goes).

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 25 2012, 1:32am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2012, 1:28am

Post #12 of 73 (2993 views)
Shortcut
He mentioned the pig in another interview a long time ago [In reply to] Can't Post

And if I remember correctly, the (fake?) list was released after that.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 1:31am

Post #13 of 73 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Okay so is he riding a boar or not? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

(I just can't understand why someone would go to that much trouble to create such a forgery. What was in it for them?)

Thank you Magpie!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 1:31am

Post #14 of 73 (3121 views)
Shortcut
He has a very 60-70s counter-culture view of Tolkien fans [In reply to] Can't Post

I know of many people of his generation (baby boomers) who were put off by the outlandish masses that worshiped Tolkien in their youth. Frodo Lives, Gandalf for President, and all that. Heck, even Tolkien himself was put off by those fans.

Tolkien fandom today is far, far broader, and contains some of the most normal people imaginable.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 1:32am

Post #15 of 73 (2943 views)
Shortcut
Very safe to conclude that he is {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Phibbus
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 1:35am

Post #16 of 73 (2957 views)
Shortcut
I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I also recall that I thought this (barely discernible) device on one of the gold coins in the hands of an interviewed rigger might be a boar (upside-down)...

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 2:08am

Post #17 of 73 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Boar here in vlog 8? [In reply to] Can't Post

Attachments: dainboar.jpg (42.4 KB)

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 25 2012, 2:22am

Post #18 of 73 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Reminder [In reply to] Can't Post

From the sticky post at the top of the board - fascinating reading.

4. Do not hijack threads for a personal agenda. Threads here frequently go off topic. When it happens organically, it can be great. When it is because of someone who has a one-track mind and pounces on every possible chance they can find or create to turn a conversation to their own pet topic, it is tiresome.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 2:44am

Post #19 of 73 (2938 views)
Shortcut
Dang! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish she was playing Dain, beardless of course.

At bottom left, that does look like a sow's ear -- you could be right. Thanks!

Thank you Magpie!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:00am

Post #20 of 73 (2791 views)
Shortcut
hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wish she was playing Dain, beardless of course.

At bottom left, that does look like a sow's ear -- you could be right. Thanks!

I find Liz Tan to be quite attractive.

Anyways, this was an interesting read. Once again, I can't determine anything from his statements.

But the animatronic thing I believe is supposed to be a Warg. This is only because I read somewhere that the main Warg is supposed to be white. But that doesn't mean we can't have a white boar as well.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 7:05am

Post #21 of 73 (2826 views)
Shortcut
Connolly comes off so gruff, but [In reply to] Can't Post

his comments about Tolkien fans should be taken with a grain of salt. The night in Wellington when Ian McKellen did his one-man benefit show for Christchurch and all the actors came to support it, Billy was in the theatre afterwards with his own line going for at least an hour, signing autographs, posing for photos with fans, using colorful language and making everybody laugh. I had a chance to sit off to the side and just listen to his crotchety spiel which had everyone in stitches. It was actually a very good-natured "act". He might not have read The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings or Farmer Giles of Ham, but he was relating to us Tolkien geeks just fine that night.

Sorry if this blows your cover, Mr. C.Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 7:12am

Post #22 of 73 (2785 views)
Shortcut
I never know whether to trust what he says or not ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

elostirion74
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:10pm

Post #23 of 73 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Spot on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that it´s vital for me that the actors who play in a film love the book it´s adapted from, though. It´s their job to be good actors, nothing else. And for lots of people LoTR and fantasy in general is just not their cup of tea, they´re just not interested.

Connoly´s remark shouldn´t be taken very seriously, anyway, since it represents the view of someone who at best has a very vague notion of the story and has to rely on adolescent memories and attitudes.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 5:22pm

Post #24 of 73 (2552 views)
Shortcut
The script [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite a good sign that he's enthusiastic on the script, because that's something that will be entirely made up for the movie, since relying on my memories Dain doesn't even talk in the book. And we only sees him in battle, and Billy Connolly says he only have played non-battle scenes. His role will really get extended a lot !

rings7
Rohan

Sep 25 2012, 6:57pm

Post #25 of 73 (2484 views)
Shortcut
I've always wondered about this [In reply to] Can't Post

do you actually have to read the books if you're acting in a movied based on it? Isn't enough to read the script?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.