Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien?

Poll: Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien?
Graham Greene
Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Joseph Heller
C.S. Lewis
Another author
John Le Carre
View Results (27 votes)

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 11:42pm

Views: 570
Shortcut
Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien? Can't Post

For sake of space, I've just included 20th century writers, but feel free to name another author with no regard to century.

My favorite writer of this bunch is John Le Carre, hands down. With Dr. Seuss a sentimental, second favorite. Smile

Le Carre, IMHO, writes the best prose I've ever read of a "popular" author. It's almost musical. His insight into the foibles of human nature is unmatched, and his characters are exceptionally well-drawn. Some people have claimed that his plots are difficult to follow, but I, personally, have never had a problem. I think that some readers prefer more action in a spy novel, and Le Carre does tend to be more cerebral, spending more time in letting us know his characters thoughts, rather than their actions, and that will turn some people off altogether.

Subject User Time
Who is your favorite author associated with Oxford that is NOT Tolkien? wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Sep 24 2012, 11:42pm
    Probably Dorothy Sayers Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Sep 25 2012, 2:00am
        Funny you should mention this-- wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Sep 25 2012, 3:13am
            I find it very hard to choose. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Sep 25 2012, 6:29am
                My favorite Dorothy Sayers Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Sep 26 2012, 1:43pm
        I vote for Dorothy too Annael Send a private message to Annael Sep 28 2012, 1:37am
    I'll take Suess sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Sep 25 2012, 12:15pm
    Definitely Lewis Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Sep 25 2012, 4:44pm
        Lewis for me too DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 26 2012, 7:02am
    No Pullman? Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Sep 25 2012, 8:17pm
        Forgive me if left off anyone! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Sep 25 2012, 11:11pm
            Oh well if you don't know Philip Pullman Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Sep 25 2012, 11:40pm
                Well, by all means, let's be "equal opportunity" here! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Sep 26 2012, 1:42am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.