Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any rollercoaster fanatics in TORndom?

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Sep 24 2012, 4:34pm

Post #1 of 24 (491 views)
Shortcut
Any rollercoaster fanatics in TORndom? Can't Post

I recently retired from 35 years of federal service and as a celebration tour I've been going to a lot of amusement parks--Cedar Point, Kings Island, Worlds of Fun, Six Flags St, Louis and more may follow, At Cedar Point, my faves in order are--Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Maverick, at Kings Island--Diamondback and the Beast [too bad about Son of Beast], at Worlds of Fun--Mamba and Predator, and at Six Flags St Louis--the Boss and Mr Freeze. I've ridden my share at other parks--i luv Everest at Animal Kingdom and the Rock and Roller Coaster at Disneyworld, and the Matterhorn and Space Mountain in Disneyland! What is your favorite rollercoaster? To me right now its Millennium Force at Cedar Point! How could rollercoasters be incorporated into a Tolkien World theme park?

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 5:35pm

Post #2 of 24 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yes! but when you're the only one in the family, you can't ride them as often as you'd like. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 7:50pm

Post #3 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

eeeeeeeeee eeeeeee
eeeeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeeee
eeeee eeeeeee eeeeee eeeeeee
eeeee eeeeeee eeeeee eeeeeee
eeeee eeeeee eeeeee eeeeeeee
eeeeeee eeeeeeeeee

CoolCoolCool

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2012, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 24 (227 views)
Shortcut
I have a fear of falling [In reply to] Can't Post

So no, me and rollercoasters don't go down well! Crazy

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 8:47pm

Post #5 of 24 (219 views)
Shortcut
Or up . . and down . . . and up . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilEvil

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 9:14pm

Post #6 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
Love them! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been going to Cedar Point ever since I was young. I love the place. The Millenium Force is by far the best coaster there. Maverick is also amazingly fun.

Whenever we're going down one of the hills, I like to push myself off the seat, just lift up a little so I'm more pushing against the bar. It really gives a wonderful sense of free-falling!

I went to King's Island a couple years ago. After going to Cedar Point so much, it was really a let down. I don't think I'll be going back.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 24 2012, 9:22pm

Post #7 of 24 (229 views)
Shortcut
Rollercoasters in Hobbit World theme park [In reply to] Can't Post

An obvious coaster would be some sort of Mines of Moria deal, with mine carts for cars and the mine tracks for, well, you get the idea. Something based on Smaug scorching the Lonely Mountain is also a sure bet imo.

I can imagine a few other types of rides that are not strictly (or at all) rollercoasters. One would involve water and barrels, sort of like a like the standard log ride at just about every park. As well, the eagle rescue could provide a backdrop for one of those dangly swirly flying type rides.

Or how about a rabbit sled coaster?

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

imin
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 9:40pm

Post #8 of 24 (252 views)
Shortcut
love roller coasters [In reply to] Can't Post

my mum has a photo of me on the pepsi max at blackpool pleasure beach from when i was about 8 years old - i am crying, haha. it was seriously high up though! Tongue

Favourite theme park, i haven't been to loads and loads, but the American ones have the UK beat by miles! Favourite for me is either universal studios in Florida or Busch Gardens, Florida. At Universal i really enjoyed the tower of terror, hulk and dueling dragons at Busch Gardens i loved Kumba and scorpion and well i just wish i could go back!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2012, 10:36pm

Post #9 of 24 (233 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid of heights, so I don't do roller-coasters. I'm a great person to take along, though, because I'll sit with all the stuff while the rest of you ride. Have fun!

I grew up near Cedar Point and they have the BEST roller-coasters.

imin
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 10:56pm

Post #10 of 24 (211 views)
Shortcut
Had to check out Cedar Point after your recommendation [In reply to] Can't Post

all i can say is 'oh my gosh, i have to go on those rides!' it looks incredible! Those are some high rides, top thrill dragster looks so much fun! I want to go on the ride so bad, reminds me of being a teenager again!

You are more than welcome to come along entmaiden and not just because you look after all the stuff Tongue

imin
Valinor

Sep 24 2012, 11:40pm

Post #11 of 24 (199 views)
Shortcut
just found this video on youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

i think its a great vid - have to watch through to the end and it will make you smile i guarantee, its of a kid on a roller-coaster Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQzQYFYfy8&feature=fvwrel

wendy woo
Rivendell

Sep 24 2012, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 24 (212 views)
Shortcut
Rabbit-sled coaster for the kids would be a brilliant idea!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's a queer country out here", Pa said. "Strange things happen."
"Yes", said Ma. "I'm thankful that so far they don't happen to us."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 1:09am

Post #13 of 24 (185 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not looking. Cool Too scared.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 2:24am

Post #14 of 24 (217 views)
Shortcut
I have fond childhood memories of Cedar Point, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was our family vacation every year -- hard to believe the scariest thing then was the Blue Streak!

I was more of a Mine Car girl myself, or the log ride. And then there was the boat ride, Jungle Larry's Safari, Cedar Downs, and the train with the old west skeletons, and..a bunch of things that probably aren't there anymore, but I loved 'em!

See what you started? Smile

I Heart Cedar Point!

Weaver

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 2:36am

Post #15 of 24 (210 views)
Shortcut
Jungle Larry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that takes me back. I had a couple of friends who honeymooned at the Breakers.

I loved the log ride - that was something I could do. Too scared for the Blue Streak.

My family went to Geauga Lake every year because my dad's company had their company picnic there.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 3:00am

Post #16 of 24 (182 views)
Shortcut
some ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

For roller coasters at Middle Earth World. SirDennisC has posted some good ones above. In addition, I might suggest:

--Misty Mountain Hop. Not just a tall and winding coaster but also has animatronic Stone Giants playing around at the tops, adding a scare element.

--Rauros Rapids. this could be a log flume type of ride, with a big slashdown.
You have to ride in a Lorien swan boat. Maybe you have to ride while lying flat, like a certain son of Denethor? Or that could just be optional, for the especially morbid.

-- Dol Goldur Dogfight. You pick either a Fell Beast or an Eagle to ride on, and then they twist and wind like they are duelling. The tracks zoom at, between or over the towers of Dol G which features "defenses" of "sorcery" like fog, noises, smoke, or confetti from machines to add a 4D element.

--Balrog Blitz. An interior coaster like Space Mountain at Disney, but instead of pitch dark, its visibly Moria, dimly lit by the light of animatronic Balrog dominating the center, roaring and waving its sword and whip about, with plenty of "near misses" for the coaster riders. This would be similar to SirDennisC's Moria coaster idea but with animatronic Balrog as an added element.

-Gandalf's Cart. A gentle coaster for the kiddies, where they get to ride in "Gandalf's Cart" around a Shire setting, plus lots of holographic images of butterflies and other displays of "magical" cuteness.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 3:11am

Post #17 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
Somewhere, I have a picture of me with Jungle Larry... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not one of these!

I was actually terrified by the place -- my sister told me the black goldfish in Jungle Larry's fishpond were piranhas!

Weaver

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 6:08am

Post #18 of 24 (238 views)
Shortcut
Too scared for the Blue Streak? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's always my warm-up ride Wink

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2012, 12:35pm

Post #19 of 24 (201 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a roller-coaster wimpTongue. Wasn't there a ride with two coasters going side-by-side - sort of racing? That might have been a Geauga Lake, though.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 8:30pm

Post #20 of 24 (196 views)
Shortcut
Gemini [In reply to] Can't Post

It's lots of fun, but for some reason they only had one side running the last time I was there. Unsure

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2012, 1:50am

Post #21 of 24 (154 views)
Shortcut
Wow - can't believe that's still running // [In reply to] Can't Post

Delrond
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 11:26pm

Post #22 of 24 (165 views)
Shortcut
King's Island [In reply to] Can't Post

Little D and I went there this summer. First time for me in probably 20 years. Getting him over his fear of rollercoasters took a while, then we proceeded to ride the Beast 6 times. Smile The Vortex is a great ride, but the corkscrews are a bit much - I feel like I'm going to pass out.

Overall, I agree that Cedar Point has the best selection of coasters. But it's quite a drive up there compared to the hour + trip to KI.

After all these years, and I can remember when it first opened, the Beast is still my favorite.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 27 2012, 12:01am

Post #23 of 24 (170 views)
Shortcut
I used to like them. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was one in AstroWorld in Houston called The Texas Cyclone that my friends and I loved. It was a wooden roller coaster and rattled and vibrated as only a wood coaster can. Laugh

Of course, there were always rumors about the kid who fell from the top; the time the cars jumped the track and shot over the park; the time a part of the wooden framework collapsed while the coaster passed over it; the lack of any brakes; etc. All these things happened last summer and they barely got it fixed in time for this summer! ShockedCool

Nowadays, I stick to the kiddie coasters. My back and neck can't handle much more. Unsure

Have fun on your quest, e_w!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 28 2012, 1:46am

Post #24 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What a GREAT list! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of excitement! That's so great!

I'm afraid rides and I don't get along. I have an inner-ear/balance problem that even watching those things makes me car-sick, dizzy and oogie! But I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to go on them!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.